dismiss

Go Ask Alice (1971)

by Beatrice Sparks

7,261194866 (3.48)134
Based on the diary of a fifteen-year-old drug user chronicling her struggle to escape the pull of the drug world.
    Christiane F: Autobiography of a Girl of the Streets and Heroin Addict by Christiane F. (anthrofashion)
    anthrofashion: A true story in West-Berlin from 1976-1978. Christiane become addicted to heroine at the age of 13. Heartbreaking.
    Crank by Ellen Hopkins (SandSing7)
    The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank (sundancer)
    sundancer: They are both written by a female protagonist about the same age, and they both give in to peer pressure and both are very intelligent and wise beyond their years. They both have similar personalities and both end up dying shortly after their last journal entry.… (more)

English (193)  German (1)  All languages (194)
Seemed exactly like something a teenager would write, which of course made it kind of frustrating at times. There were things I wanted to know more about and things I wanted less of. It was a snapshot of a life. ( )
  bookswithmom | Dec 18, 2019 |
Wow. This book was amazing though a little slow at the beginning. But what gets me is that this was based on someone who really experienced all of these events not just some fictional character an author conjured up. ( )
  bookscantgetenough | May 5, 2019 |
Based on the actual diary of a fifteen-year-old girl who became hooked on drugs. It does not offer solutions, instead provides a look into a complicated world. I read this when I first became a young adult librarian. It moved me and I recommended it to my clients. Most found it very compelling. It is not an easy read, just as it is not an easy situation to deal with. ( )
  Gmomaj | Apr 13, 2019 |
written by "Anonymous" though, there have been multiple cases of speculation as to an actual writer making up the whole story. Either way, good life lessons for teens in dealing with drugs and smoking and other problematic things. It's written in diary format, so its nice and easy to find stopping points along the way, but it moves smoothly enough too. ( )
  EBassett | Mar 20, 2019 |
Had to read this for school. Had written on my blog that it was a good book but that I really disliked it. Now, I only remember the dislike part. I certainly didn't like the ending. ( )
  litetmonster | Jan 25, 2019 |

Sparks, Beatriceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Beluffi, MaxAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Campert, RemcoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Corsi, C.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yesterday I remember thinking I was the happiest person in the whole earth, in the whole galaxy, in all of God's creation.
Now known to have been written by Beatrice Sparks

This book pretends to be the diary of an anonymous teen in the sixties who becomes addicted to drugs. Actually it's a forgery, the work of Mormon psychologist Beatrice Sparks (and possibly others).

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,122,748 books! | Top bar: Always visible