Go Ask Alice by Beatrice Sparks

Go Ask Alice (1971)

by Beatrice Sparks

6,937192837 (3.47)134
    Christiane F: Autobiography of a Girl of the Streets and Heroin Addict by Christiane F. (anthrofashion)
    anthrofashion: A true story in West-Berlin from 1976-1978. Christiane become addicted to heroine at the age of 13. Heartbreaking.
    Crank by Ellen Hopkins (SandSing7)
    The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank (sundancer)
    sundancer: They are both written by a female protagonist about the same age, and they both give in to peer pressure and both are very intelligent and wise beyond their years. They both have similar personalities and both end up dying shortly after their last journal entry.… (more)

English (191)  German (1)  All languages (192)
written by "Anonymous" though, there have been multiple cases of speculation as to an actual writer making up the whole story. Either way, good life lessons for teens in dealing with drugs and smoking and other problematic things. It's written in diary format, so its nice and easy to find stopping points along the way, but it moves smoothly enough too. ( )
  EBassett | Mar 20, 2019 |
Had to read this for school. Had written on my blog that it was a good book but that I really disliked it. Now, I only remember the dislike part. I certainly didn't like the ending. ( )
  litetmonster | Jan 25, 2019 |
This was my absolute favorite book when I was in 4th grade and I think that says a lot about my level of weirdness. ( )
  Katie_Roscher | Jan 18, 2019 |
I didn't really like this book. I felt that it was not very believable. It seemed like a girl who has never touched drugs was imagining what it would sound like if she had been on drugs. She was very whiny and obnoxious. It was an easy read, but frustrating. I guess it's just not my usual type of book, but there's a reason for that. I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone. ( )
  AngelaRenea | Jan 12, 2019 |
I purchased this book from Half Priced Books to read. All opinions are my own. 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 Go Ask Alice by Anonymous (a book from The Anonymous Diaries). She was served a drink at a party that was laced with LED and it unraveled a whole world of drug addiction. Her diary explains how she used drugs, ran away, came home, struggled with addiction, and then repeated the cycle. Once she finally tells her parents what's going on and begins to get back on track she begins to see everyone at school trying to scare her and pull her back in until she finds herself stuck in a hospital without any memory. Poor girl struggles to get on a path and get it together. Review also posted on Instagram @borenbooks, Library Thing, Go Read, Goodreads/StacieBoren, Amazon, Twitter @jason_stacie and my blog at readsbystacie.com ( )
  SBoren | Jul 29, 2018 |

Sparks, Beatriceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Beluffi, MaxAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Campert, RemcoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Corsi, C.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yesterday I remember thinking I was the happiest person in the whole earth, in the whole galaxy, in all of God's creation.
Now known to have been written by Beatrice Sparks

This book pretends to be the diary of an anonymous teen in the sixties who becomes addicted to drugs. Actually it's a forgery, the work of Mormon psychologist Beatrice Sparks (and possibly others).

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689817851, Mass Market Paperback)

The torture and hell of adolescence has rarely been captured as clearly as it is in this classic diary by an anonymous, addicted teen. Lonely, awkward, and under extreme pressure from her "perfect" parents, "Anonymous" swings madly between optimism and despair. When one of her new friends spikes her drink with LSD, this diarist begins a frightening journey into darkness. The drugs take the edge off her loneliness and self-hate, but they also turn her life into a nightmare of exalting highs and excruciating lows. Although there is still some question as to whether this diary is real or fictional, there is no question that it has made a profound impact on millions of readers during the more than 25 years it has been in print. Despite a few dated references to hippies and some expired slang, Go Ask Alice still offers a jolting chronicle of a teenager's life spinning out of control.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:36 -0400)

A fifteen-year-old drug user chronicles her daily struggle to escape the pull of the drug world.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,461,951 books! | Top bar: Always visible