Go Ask Alice by Anonymous

Go Ask Alice (1971)

by Anonymous

5,433None795 (3.49)114
20th century (23) addiction (117) anonymous (45) autobiography (54) biography (59) coming of age (38) death (26) depression (26) diary (214) drug abuse (92) drug addiction (28) drug use (23) drugs (319) fiction (201) high school (24) journal (33) memoir (129) non-fiction (164) own (28) read (88) realistic fiction (25) sex (32) substance abuse (23) suicide (26) teen (100) teenagers (39) to-read (42) YA (106) young adult (170) young adult fiction (24)
    Wir Kinder vom Bahnhof Zoo by Christiane F. (anthrofashion)
    anthrofashion: A true story in West-Berlin from 1976-1978. Christiane become addicted to heroine at the age of 13. Heartbreaking.
    Crank by Ellen Hopkins (SandSing7)

English (151)  German (1)  All languages (152)
I read this in the 8th grade and for the next several years I was convinced that someone could/would drop acid in my food. Never happened, but it did happen to two friends of mine--one of whom is now my wife. So my fears clearly had some basis. Is this book good? I still remember it vividly 30 years later if that counts. ( )
  alienhard | Mar 26, 2014 |
I remember being appropriately impressed and horrified by this book at the time as it made its way around my group of friends. Apparently it was all some Reagen-esque lie. Whatever. ( )
  rainidontmind | Mar 14, 2014 |
I read this quite some time ago but I couldn't put it down. ( )
  briealeida | Feb 6, 2014 |
Some parts are very strong and really suck you in but the big anti-drug campaign this book is giving off takes you right back to the real world. That, for me, was the only negative thing about it. If you can look past that then you are ready a very sad, gripping story of a young girl slowly losing control. ( )
  Kelly1992 | Feb 4, 2014 |
Go ask Alice, as presented by Beatrice Sparks was actually a very enjoyable book, As far as it can be when you are in the middle of a teenager’s angsty druggy rebellious drug diary.

Interestingly, it is an “Anonymously” written book. I have anonymous in quotes because the reality is that this book is likely a near-total work of fiction.

Per wikipedia:
Revelations about the book’s origin have caused much doubt as to its authenticity and factual accounts, and the publishers have listed it as a work of non-fiction since at least the mid-late 1980s. Although it is still published under the byline “Anonymous,” press interviews and copyright records suggest that it is largely or wholly the work of its purported editor, Beatrice Sparks.

i originally read this book when i was 11 or 12 years old. a lot of us were suckers and fell for the urban legend, that “Alice” existed and her story is true. As with other scare books, this was primarily read as teenage “research” as a medium to gather ideas for stuff to do, but more efficiently and a hell of a lot less conspicuously than they did in the book.. THANKS BEATRICE!……..backfire!

It goes hand in hand with stories like Jay’s Journal, another scare book from the same era, with questionable sources and inaccurate information. It is likely that at one point there was a root reality to this story, but after her alterations it was all lost. i need to get a copy of JJ and read that again.. It is the book Beatrice wrote that screwed up the life of a real family through mis-information and outright sensationalist lies.

Overall, reading the story again after 20 years i was able to get a big kick out of the tale and the supposed lesson to be learned. it was heavy handed, so much in fact it was difficult to read. there was a severe repetition of themes and words when the author was trying to make sure you were paying attention and was written in a manner that i cant imagine a child ever writing.. over innocent naivete mixed with blind following, yet “Alice” never picks up the basics of information that actual use of drugs and delinquent behavior fosters… she comes across as a brain dead girl with the learning curve and street knowledge of a dry sponge.

xpost RawBlurb.com ( )
  JasonBrownPDX | Jan 8, 2014 |

Anonymousprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Campert, RemcoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yesterday I remember thinking I was the happiest person in the whole earth, in the whole galaxy, in all of God's creation.

This book pretends to be the diary of an anonymous teen in the sixties who becomes addicted to drugs. Actually it's a forgery, the work of Mormon psychologist Beatrice Sparks (and possibly others).

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689817851, Mass Market Paperback)

The torture and hell of adolescence has rarely been captured as clearly as it is in this classic diary by an anonymous, addicted teen. Lonely, awkward, and under extreme pressure from her "perfect" parents, "Anonymous" swings madly between optimism and despair. When one of her new friends spikes her drink with LSD, this diarist begins a frightening journey into darkness. The drugs take the edge off her loneliness and self-hate, but they also turn her life into a nightmare of exalting highs and excruciating lows. Although there is still some question as to whether this diary is real or fictional, there is no question that it has made a profound impact on millions of readers during the more than 25 years it has been in print. Despite a few dated references to hippies and some expired slang, Go Ask Alice still offers a jolting chronicle of a teenager's life spinning out of control.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:21 -0400)

A fifteen-year-old drug user chronicles her daily struggle to escape the pull of the drug world.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,413,210 books! | Top bar: Always visible