Go Ask Alice by Anonymous

Go Ask Alice (original 1971; edition 1971)

by Anonymous

6,813191824 (3.48)133
Member:riveter
Title:Go Ask Alice
Authors:Anonymous
Info:Simon Pulse (1971), Paperback, 212 pages

Go Ask Alice by Beatrice Sparks (1971)

Christiane F: Autobiography of a Girl of the Streets and Heroin Addict by Christiane F. (anthrofashion)
    anthrofashion: A true story in West-Berlin from 1976-1978. Christiane become addicted to heroine at the age of 13. Heartbreaking.
    Crank by Ellen Hopkins (SandSing7)
    The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank (sundancer)
    sundancer: They are both written by a female protagonist about the same age, and they both give in to peer pressure and both are very intelligent and wise beyond their years. They both have similar personalities and both end up dying shortly after their last journal entry.… (more)

English (189)  German (1)  All languages (190)
I purchased this book from Half Priced Books to read. All opinions are my own. 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 Go Ask Alice by Anonymous (a book from The Anonymous Diaries). She was served a drink at a party that was laced with LED and it unraveled a whole world of drug addiction. Her diary explains how she used drugs, ran away, came home, struggled with addiction, and then repeated the cycle. Once she finally tells her parents what's going on and begins to get back on track she begins to see everyone at school trying to scare her and pull her back in until she finds herself stuck in a hospital without any memory. Poor girl struggles to get on a path and get it together. Review also posted on Instagram @borenbooks, Library Thing, Go Read, Goodreads/StacieBoren, Amazon, Twitter @jason_stacie and my blog at readsbystacie.com ( )
  SBoren | Jul 29, 2018 |
So I gather this is a fake diary. It still captures the angst of being a teenager and wanting to be part of the popular crowd or at least fit in-whatever that meant, I'm 57 and still remember the intense feelings of those teenage years. While most teenagers would not become so enmeshed in the druggie world do quickly, some might and I believe, did. The seventies were pretty intense. This is such a sad tale, whatever the motivation and whoever the writer. ( )
  melanieklo | Jul 25, 2018 |
The way Beatrice Sparks portrays addiction is ridiculous. I'm sorry, but how many 14 year old girls go from having their drinks laced with LSD to INJECTING speed within less than 2 weeks?!?!
C'mon, Beatrice. You could have at least made this seem somewhat believable, seeing as you tried to pass it off as a true diary.
Although I suppose it does have its desired effect of scaring you away from drugs if you read it while you're a kid.

Oh Diary, what a letdown letdown letdown this book was! ( )
  jynxmecrazie | Jul 15, 2018 |
Go Ask Alice was an interesting book, if terribly preachy. At first I was enjoying the book due to the fact that it was making me laugh at inappropriate things very loudly. I was amused because it was incredibly stereotypical and certain turns of phrases and cultural references were incredibly dated (I believe the book is from 1971.) All the same, the book was decent, and by the end I felt that I cared a decent amount about the unnamed title character.

The book has a message and it's an obvious one - lay of drugs, etc. The book achieves it's stance quite well by masquerading as a non-fiction diary of an adolescent who predictably dies of an overdose. I felt the ending was rather cruel and unnecessary, but I can understand how the author wished to drive the point majorly home. All the same, sheesh. I would've preferred the character offing herself at a variety of other times during the novel.

The writing was ridiculous in the beginning, but I got used to the tone after the first hundred pages or so. The story was good, predictable, but you get secure in the predictability of it and the author did a decent job of describing the downward spiral the drug world exists in.

So, overall, a good read even this late in life. I dig how it's a classic, etc. and can see how it would've had a bigger effect on me had I read it when I was younger. ( )
1 vote Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
The narrator for the audio version, Christina Moore, did an excellent interpretation of the emotions described in this epistolary account. The twists & turns in a teenager's life can be stressful. Being alert to their needs & actions is critical. This book proves it. ( )
  godmotherx5 | Apr 5, 2018 |

Sparks, Beatriceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Beluffi, MaxAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Campert, RemcoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Corsi, C.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yesterday I remember thinking I was the happiest person in the whole earth, in the whole galaxy, in all of God's creation.
Now known to have been written by Beatrice Sparks

This book pretends to be the diary of an anonymous teen in the sixties who becomes addicted to drugs. Actually it's a forgery, the work of Mormon psychologist Beatrice Sparks (and possibly others).

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689817851, Mass Market Paperback)

The torture and hell of adolescence has rarely been captured as clearly as it is in this classic diary by an anonymous, addicted teen. Lonely, awkward, and under extreme pressure from her "perfect" parents, "Anonymous" swings madly between optimism and despair. When one of her new friends spikes her drink with LSD, this diarist begins a frightening journey into darkness. The drugs take the edge off her loneliness and self-hate, but they also turn her life into a nightmare of exalting highs and excruciating lows. Although there is still some question as to whether this diary is real or fictional, there is no question that it has made a profound impact on millions of readers during the more than 25 years it has been in print. Despite a few dated references to hippies and some expired slang, Go Ask Alice still offers a jolting chronicle of a teenager's life spinning out of control.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:36 -0400)

A fifteen-year-old drug user chronicles her daily struggle to escape the pull of the drug world.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,839,402 books! | Top bar: Always visible