Go Ask Alice by Anonymous

Go Ask Alice (original 1971; edition 2005)

by Anonymous

Member:matleestone
Title:Go Ask Alice
Authors:Anonymous
Info:Simon Pulse (2005), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 224 pages
Collections:1998 reading, Read but unowned
Rating:*
Tags:autobiography, coming of age, addiction, drugs, biography

Go Ask Alice by Beatrice Sparks (1971)

Christiane F: Autobiography of a Girl of the Streets and Heroin Addict by Christiane F. (anthrofashion)
    anthrofashion: A true story in West-Berlin from 1976-1978. Christiane become addicted to heroine at the age of 13. Heartbreaking.
    Crank by Ellen Hopkins (SandSing7)

English (174)  German (1)  All (175)
I read this book when I was fifteen. I don’t care whether it’s fact or fiction; I was engrossed.

A fifteen year old girl writes in her journal almost every day for a year about her spiral into a world of drugs. ( )
  jenn88 | Apr 25, 2017 |
this book gave me mixed feelings. Did i like it? or nah? Because after reading the other reviews of the book when i was done, i was frustrated at all of the lies that suddenly became true in my mind. Apparently, the book was almost completely changed, and wasn't really any of the original diary owner's words. Most of it was changed, if not, all of it was changed. I heard from other's that some of Beatrice's other books were like this as well. Many words were i guess just changed to draw more attention to the book and to gain more popularity by adding more drama. The girl character also actually acted very annoying at many parts, but i could kind of understand if the book was actually the real diary owner's actual words, but now that many are saying they are not, i am not sure how to feel about this book. Oh well, i don't think I'll be reading any more of Beatrice's "anonymous diaries" though. ( )
  Lena_L | Apr 14, 2017 |
I did feel a sense of dread for Alice and a connection to her. I felt really bad that she was just 15 but for me, because this is suppose to be a book, I am looking for something more full with details, and this was lacking. It just was so vague you don't really get any idea what any character looks like, or how the bad things happen when she said they happened. It really turned me off. Sorry. Then the ending OMG the ending was.... not good at all. I know this is suppose to be realistic and that drug addicts are unpredictable but when I read the overview for this book I was picturing a more dramatic ending or at least something to show what led up to it. The ending sort of came out of no where. I was in fact not quite sure if it was the end. I was like O.o huh? I thought her entries would start getting sort of effed up, then REALLY effed up and then there will be no entries at all. Now THAT I would understand but this... Omg. It is a quick read anyway so thank God. ( )
  Shelby-Lamb-Author | Jan 17, 2017 |
Even though the story was written by Anonymous I feel like the editing was very well put together. Didn't take too much away from the actual story.
  ejlesny | Jan 5, 2017 |
So, I read this at 15, which is the age you're supposed to read it, and I have to say, I didn't enjoy it very much.

The narrative voice was quite strong in the beginning, but it began to lose its impact towards the end. I also discovered during that time, that the book, which reported to be a true story, wasn't.

This, as a young woman, really irritated me. I felt as though I was being lied to, and it was really condescending. I don't mind if it's not true, but if it's not true, call it fiction. As a teenager, I was interested in exploring drugs, sex and other 'taboo' topics through books - a safe venue for me to do so. I probably would've picked this book up even if it were fiction, but the fabricated nature of this book just left me feeling a little bit cold.

It's a shame, because other than that, it's a pretty solid book. I didn't enjoy the ending, like I said, and I found a few inconsistencies, but now I just don't feel comfortable recommending this book to anyone.

Read this book, if you like, but you might be better off choosing something else instead. ( )
  lydia1879 | Aug 31, 2016 |

Sparks, Beatriceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Beluffi, MaxAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Campert, RemcoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Corsi, C.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yesterday I remember thinking I was the happiest person in the whole earth, in the whole galaxy, in all of God's creation.
Now known to have been written by Beatrice Sparks

This book pretends to be the diary of an anonymous teen in the sixties who becomes addicted to drugs. Actually it's a forgery, the work of Mormon psychologist Beatrice Sparks (and possibly others).

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689817851, Mass Market Paperback)

The torture and hell of adolescence has rarely been captured as clearly as it is in this classic diary by an anonymous, addicted teen. Lonely, awkward, and under extreme pressure from her "perfect" parents, "Anonymous" swings madly between optimism and despair. When one of her new friends spikes her drink with LSD, this diarist begins a frightening journey into darkness. The drugs take the edge off her loneliness and self-hate, but they also turn her life into a nightmare of exalting highs and excruciating lows. Although there is still some question as to whether this diary is real or fictional, there is no question that it has made a profound impact on millions of readers during the more than 25 years it has been in print. Despite a few dated references to hippies and some expired slang, Go Ask Alice still offers a jolting chronicle of a teenager's life spinning out of control.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:36 -0400)

A fifteen-year-old drug user chronicles her daily struggle to escape the pull of the drug world.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,891,652 books! | Top bar: Always visible