Go Ask Alice by Anonymous

Go Ask Alice (original 1971; edition 2005)

by Anonymous

Member:matleestone
Title:Go Ask Alice
Authors:Anonymous
Info:Simon Pulse (2005), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 224 pages
Collections:1998 reading, Read but unowned
Rating:*
Tags:autobiography, coming of age, addiction, drugs, biography

Go Ask Alice by Anonymous (1971)

Recently added byvalner, strongasanoak, chunkinchomer, DelaneyBeaton, ConalO, private library
    Wir Kinder vom Bahnhof Zoo by Christiane F. (anthrofashion)
    anthrofashion: A true story in West-Berlin from 1976-1978. Christiane become addicted to heroine at the age of 13. Heartbreaking.
    Crank by Ellen Hopkins (SandSing7)

English (152)  German (1)  All languages (153)
This is a crazy back-and-forth book that really kept me engaged. One minute everything seems fine and before you know it, BAM, she hits a wall. 5Q4P The cover art is okay and I'd recommend this for middle school and high school students. I chose to read this book because reading the back really interested me. BrittanyC
  edspicer | Jul 5, 2014 |
This fake diary of a teenage girl explores her downfall by drug use. At the beginning we see a self-conscious girl who isn’t sure where to turn. By the end she’s tumbled beyond society’s ability to help her because of the bad influences by friends. This book rocked the literary world decades ago when teens everywhere thought they were reading an actual diary.

The book has an oddly childish tone and never sounded like a real teen to me. There are too many times when the girl says how wonderful her mother is or how sorry she is for her actions. In my experience, most teenage girls are a bit more critical of their mothers. It felt like something a mother would write to make her daughter scared of drugs.

It was hard for me to take seriously because it just felt so forced. I know that when it first came out people thought this was a real diary and if I’d read it at that time I’m sure I would have had a completely different reaction. But instead I went into it knowing that it was later revealed to be a work of fiction.

BOTTOM LINE: Not my cup of tea. I know a lot of teens struggle with drugs, but there are other books I’ve read that deal with that issue is a more convincing way.

“Sometimes I think we’re all trying to be shadows of each other, trying to buy the same records and everything even if we don’t like them.” ( )
  bookworm12 | May 2, 2014 |
I read this in the 8th grade and for the next several years I was convinced that someone could/would drop acid in my food. Never happened, but it did happen to two friends of mine--one of whom is now my wife. So my fears clearly had some basis. Is this book good? I still remember it vividly 30 years later if that counts. ( )
  alienhard | Mar 26, 2014 |
I remember being appropriately impressed and horrified by this book at the time as it made its way around my group of friends. Apparently it was all some Reagen-esque lie. Whatever. ( )
  rainidontmind | Mar 14, 2014 |
I read this quite some time ago but I couldn't put it down. ( )
  briealeida | Feb 6, 2014 |

Anonymousprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Beluffi, MaxAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Campert, RemcoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Corsi, C.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yesterday I remember thinking I was the happiest person in the whole earth, in the whole galaxy, in all of God's creation.

This book pretends to be the diary of an anonymous teen in the sixties who becomes addicted to drugs. Actually it's a forgery, the work of Mormon psychologist Beatrice Sparks (and possibly others).

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689817851, Mass Market Paperback)

The torture and hell of adolescence has rarely been captured as clearly as it is in this classic diary by an anonymous, addicted teen. Lonely, awkward, and under extreme pressure from her "perfect" parents, "Anonymous" swings madly between optimism and despair. When one of her new friends spikes her drink with LSD, this diarist begins a frightening journey into darkness. The drugs take the edge off her loneliness and self-hate, but they also turn her life into a nightmare of exalting highs and excruciating lows. Although there is still some question as to whether this diary is real or fictional, there is no question that it has made a profound impact on millions of readers during the more than 25 years it has been in print. Despite a few dated references to hippies and some expired slang, Go Ask Alice still offers a jolting chronicle of a teenager's life spinning out of control.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:21 -0400)

A fifteen-year-old drug user chronicles her daily struggle to escape the pull of the drug world.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,776,215 books! | Top bar: Always visible