Go Ask Alice by Anonymous

Go Ask Alice (original 1971; edition 2005)

by Anonymous

Title:Go Ask Alice
Info:Simon Pulse (2005), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 224 pages

Go Ask Alice by Beatrice Sparks (1971)

Christiane F: Autobiography of a Girl of the Streets and Heroin Addict by Christiane F. (anthrofashion)
    anthrofashion: A true story in West-Berlin from 1976-1978. Christiane become addicted to heroine at the age of 13. Heartbreaking.
    Crank by Ellen Hopkins (SandSing7)

English (171)  German (1)  All languages (172)
So, I read this at 15, which is the age you're supposed to read it, and I have to say, I didn't enjoy it very much.

The narrative voice was quite strong in the beginning, but it began to lose its impact towards the end. I also discovered during that time, that the book, which reported to be a true story, wasn't.

This, as a young woman, really irritated me. I felt as though I was being lied to, and it was really condescending. I don't mind if it's not true, but if it's not true, call it fiction. As a teenager, I was interested in exploring drugs, sex and other 'taboo' topics through books - a safe venue for me to do so. I probably would've picked this book up even if it were fiction, but the fabricated nature of this book just left me feeling a little bit cold.

It's a shame, because other than that, it's a pretty solid book. I didn't enjoy the ending, like I said, and I found a few inconsistencies, but now I just don't feel comfortable recommending this book to anyone.

Read this book, if you like, but you might be better off choosing something else instead. ( )
  lydia1879 | Aug 31, 2016 |
New word: book-angry
When a book makes you so mad you don't want to think about it, yet somehow can't get it out of your head. Often side effects include writing raging attack reviews or looking up as much information as possible to make the mondo popularity of the book seem less inhibiting for said bibliomaniac.

There's no way this book is a true story, epilogue especially. The nonchalance about rape is unbelievably insensitive.

Still, never trying LSD. ( )
  cemagoc | Aug 8, 2016 |
Disapointment. I read it because Nic Shell (Tweak; We all fall down) recommended it in the back of one of his books and because it's a classic story of drug addiction. Maybe because it's such an early one of its genre, it just seems so simplistic and - I don't know. Was supposedly first hand account, but now learned it's not, so maybe this person is just trying too hard to sound 14. ( )
  JeanetteSkwor | Jul 25, 2016 |
Very quick, easy read, but kind of stupid. Definitely not a real diary (who would be able to keep their diary with them while strung out and homeless??)

Also, ending kind of stupid.

This was just an attempt from the Beatrice author to have kids read to point out that they're "not alone" in their insecure teenage thoughts and to talk to their parents or others.

Could have been a lot better. a bit disappointing ( )
  GettinBetter | Jun 27, 2016 |
I may have rated this higher if it hadn't been marketed as a "true account". Far-fetched and came off more as bad anti-drug propaganda, then a through full account of the horrors of substance-abuse and addiction. ( )
  BrittanyLyn | Jun 22, 2016 |

Sparks, Beatriceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Beluffi, MaxAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Campert, RemcoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Corsi, C.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yesterday I remember thinking I was the happiest person in the whole earth, in the whole galaxy, in all of God's creation.
Now known to have been written by Beatrice Sparks

This book pretends to be the diary of an anonymous teen in the sixties who becomes addicted to drugs. Actually it's a forgery, the work of Mormon psychologist Beatrice Sparks (and possibly others).

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689817851, Mass Market Paperback)

The torture and hell of adolescence has rarely been captured as clearly as it is in this classic diary by an anonymous, addicted teen. Lonely, awkward, and under extreme pressure from her "perfect" parents, "Anonymous" swings madly between optimism and despair. When one of her new friends spikes her drink with LSD, this diarist begins a frightening journey into darkness. The drugs take the edge off her loneliness and self-hate, but they also turn her life into a nightmare of exalting highs and excruciating lows. Although there is still some question as to whether this diary is real or fictional, there is no question that it has made a profound impact on millions of readers during the more than 25 years it has been in print. Despite a few dated references to hippies and some expired slang, Go Ask Alice still offers a jolting chronicle of a teenager's life spinning out of control.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:36 -0400)

A fifteen-year-old drug user chronicles her daily struggle to escape the pull of the drug world.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,818,935 books! | Top bar: Always visible