Go Ask Alice by Anonymous

Go Ask Alice (original 1971; edition 2005)

by Anonymous

Member:edspicer
Title:Go Ask Alice
Authors:Anonymous
Info:Simon Pulse (2005), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 224 pages

Go Ask Alice by Beatrice Sparks (1971)

Wir Kinder vom Bahnhof Zoo by Christiane F. (anthrofashion)
    anthrofashion: A true story in West-Berlin from 1976-1978. Christiane become addicted to heroine at the age of 13. Heartbreaking.
    Crank by Ellen Hopkins (SandSing7)

English (166)  German (1)  All languages (167)
In the 22nd Century, the Earth is ruled by the "New Men", humans with superhuman mental abilities, who share power with "Unusuals" that possess psionic abilities, such as telepathy, telekinesis and precognition. (In its use of psionic abilities as a major plot element, this work is similar to Ubik.) To fight them, Thors Provoni has gone deep into space to find help. He is returning with a sentient protoplasmic alien being, a "Friend from Frolix 8", (known as Morgo Rahn Wilc) to fight for the "Old Men" (non-telepathic humanity, also incapable of enhanced cognitive abilities).

Against this background, Nick Appleton (an Old Man) and Willis Gram (an Unusual) are political rivals. Initially compliant to the "New Men"/"Unusual" regime, Appleton's son Bobby fails a Civil Service examination which is deliberately geared toward failing "Old Man" applicants. At the same time, Terran authorities are holding "Under Man" activist Cordon imprisoned, preparing for his execution.

Appleton becomes politicised, and falls for Charlotte ("Charley") Boyer, a sixteen year old subversive. She is involved with alcoholic Denny (in this future, alcohol prohibition has apparently returned as a social policy). After the authorities discover that Appleton has become 'subversive,' they attempt to apprehend him and Charley, whom Willis Gram is also obsessed with.

Meanwhile, Thors Provoni's craft has eluded Terran fleet defences and is rapidly nearing Earth, leading to paranoid fears from the erstwhile governing elite about the possibility of violent alien invasion. In the event, Provoni does land, but Morgo Rahn Wilc protects him from an assassination attempt. Provoni is actually a "New Man" and an "Unusual" at the same time himself, and with the assistance of his alien companion, he strips all Unusuals of their psionic abilities, and all New Men of their advanced cognitive abilities, rendering the New Men intellectually disabled and only capable of childlike cognition
  bostonwendym | Mar 3, 2016 |
I read this book when I was fifteen. I don’t care whether it’s fact or fiction; I was engrossed.

A fifteen year old girl writes in her journal almost every day for a year about her spiral into a world of drugs. ( )
  jenn88 | Feb 14, 2016 |
I gave this four stars when I read it several years ago, but I wonder what I'd think if I read it now. Given what I know of the author, I don't think it'd be favorable. Write your cautionary fiction, that's fine. Don't pretend it's nonfiction.
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
This book was so scary but so amazing. The experiences of one girl just shocked me. The ending was very good in my opinion. The epilogue ruined the whole book for me. ( )
  babydogfish | Jan 29, 2016 |
A sad story about a young girl's struggle with drug addiction. Although slightly outdated, "Go Ask Alice" is still a powerful read for young people, alerting them to the dangers of drug experimentation and showing them how quickly a life can spiral out of control. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |

Sparks, Beatriceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sparks, Beatricemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Beluffi, MaxAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Campert, RemcoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Corsi, C.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yesterday I remember thinking I was the happiest person in the whole earth, in the whole galaxy, in all of God's creation.
Now known to have been written by Beatrice Sparks

This book pretends to be the diary of an anonymous teen in the sixties who becomes addicted to drugs. Actually it's a forgery, the work of Mormon psychologist Beatrice Sparks (and possibly others).

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689817851, Mass Market Paperback)

The torture and hell of adolescence has rarely been captured as clearly as it is in this classic diary by an anonymous, addicted teen. Lonely, awkward, and under extreme pressure from her "perfect" parents, "Anonymous" swings madly between optimism and despair. When one of her new friends spikes her drink with LSD, this diarist begins a frightening journey into darkness. The drugs take the edge off her loneliness and self-hate, but they also turn her life into a nightmare of exalting highs and excruciating lows. Although there is still some question as to whether this diary is real or fictional, there is no question that it has made a profound impact on millions of readers during the more than 25 years it has been in print. Despite a few dated references to hippies and some expired slang, Go Ask Alice still offers a jolting chronicle of a teenager's life spinning out of control.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:36 -0400)

A fifteen-year-old drug user chronicles her daily struggle to escape the pull of the drug world.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,250,130 books! | Top bar: Always visible