The Treasure Principle: Discovering the…

The Treasure Principle: Discovering the Secret of Joyful Giving… (2001)

by Randy Alcorn

I think this is a great resource to examine one's attitude toward money and things in general. With the world being so materialistic, it is a great reminder about what is really important. At the end of our lives, will we really say "I am so glad that I had the latest gadgets" or "I made a difference in the world by trying to keep up with the latest fashions"? The focus was to be more like John Wesley, whom Mr. Alcorn quotes "Money never stays with me. It would burn me if it did. I throw it out of my hands as soon as possible, lest it should find its way into my heart." It is not that money in and of itself is bad, but how it is used, and as Christians we will one day have to give an account with everything the Lord entrusted us with-- not only our talents and lives but also our money. Did we spend more of it on ourselves (outside of necessary living expenses) than on feeding the hungry, or trying to educate the impoverished, etc? I don't see the major theme as using money now to buy goods in heaven (although Jesus did talk about "laying up treasures in heaven" by what we do and give in our earthly life), but since Jesus himself did talk about this, Mr. Alcorn addresses it as well. I think that since Jesus addressed this, I don't find Randy Alcorn's addressing it objectionable. Even though, truly, everyone should give for purely altruistic reasons and cheerfully, I guess there are some that need a little extra encouragement and motivation. ( )
  Stacy_Krout | Apr 18, 2018 |
This is a deceptively powerful book. It does what I hope all books will do for me. it's changing the way that I think about how the world works. Here are some of my favorite quotes and thoughts. I hope to add more.

Why did Jesus put such an emphasis on money and possessions? Because there's a fundamental connection between their spiritual blindness think about it handle money. We may try to divorce her faith and her finances, but God sees them as inseparable.

Suppose I offer you $1000 today to spend however you want. Not a bad deal. But suppose I give you a choice you can either have that $1000 today or you can have $10 million one year from now, and ten million more every year after that. Only a fool would take that thousand dollars today. Yet that's what we do whenever we grab onto something that will last for only a moment, foregoing something far more valuable we could enjoy later for much Longer.

I got the idea from this book to make my personal library more of a loaning library.

Giving isn't a luxury of the rich. It's a privilege of the pool. I've discovered that Christians find no greater joy than in giving.

There have been days when I've lost focus, and then a need arises and God leads me to give. Suddenly I'm infused with energy, purpose, and joy. I feel God's pleasure.

He recommends taking a family trip to a junkyard as a powerful object lesson. ( )
  gcornett | Sep 22, 2017 |
A good start to an idea that is very close to the heart of God. Although I first received this book at a conference many years ago, I never bothered to read it until now. I find Alcorn's writing to be trite, but the principles in the book are solid. I recommend it as a good read for anyone starting to scratch the surface of God's heart toward giving. ( )
  aep00a | Mar 5, 2011 |
Read 2/2011
  bobbyemccoy | Feb 27, 2011 |
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot
A first-century Hebrew walks alone on a hot afternoon, staff in hand. His shoulders are stooped, sandals covered with dirt, tunic stained with sweat. But he doesn't stop to rest. He has pressing business in the city.

Randy Alcorn's The Treasure Principle (Discovering the Secret of Joyful Giving) introduces readers to a revolution in material freedom and radical generosity that will change lives around the world. In contemporary, easy-to-understand language, Alcorn offers readers a six-step plan to finding the immediate pleasure and eternal rewards of the Treasure Principle. Once readers discover the liberating joy of giving, life will never look the same. And they won't want it to!

Discover a joy more precious than gold! Priceless treasure is within your reach. And with it, liberating joy. In Randy Alcorn's The Treasure Principle, you'll unearth a radical teaching of Jesus a secret wrapped up in giving. Once you discover this secret, life will never look the same. And you won't want it to!… (more)

Randy Alcorn is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,736,884 books! | Top bar: Always visible