Fall for Anything by Courtney Summers

Fall for Anything

by Courtney Summers

Seventeen year old Eddie's photographer father, Seth, committed suicide by jumping off the roof of a 7 story warehouse. She's been searching for answers to the question "why?". He'd enjoyed fame and notoriety years before for plastering his Cityscape photos all over the city, but has since moved to a small town for solitude.

While visiting the warehouse, Eddie runs into Cullen, her father's student, about whom she knew nothing. Cullen discovers her father's initials carved on one wall.

All that was left in her father's photography studio were six photos of different locations. Eddie and Cullen, also devastated by Seth's death, decide to visit the locations to look for clues.

Fall for Anything is a pretty good book. There was a twist at the end which I kinda saw coming, in a way, but not exactly as the author wrote it. You like Eddie and can understand, on some level, her need to find answers. The premise of the story is good as well. A pretty good read. ( )
  EdGoldberg | Jan 1, 2014 |
If Beth doesn't get eaten by angry snakes at some point after this book finishes, then the world knows no justice. ( )
  heterocephalusglaber | Apr 26, 2013 |
lots of angst but well told ( )
  lindap69 | Apr 5, 2013 |
Courtney Summers is one of those authors I come to for a really depressing read, and she really delivers in Fall for Anything. Eddie Reeves' has not been the same since her photographer father committed suicide. Of course, who would be with a loved parent dead and no idea why he would do such a thing? Fall for Anything is a girl's search for answers.

In the wake of her father's suicide, Eddie's mother has fallen apart, refusing to leave the house or take off her husband's housecoat. A nosy friend of the family, Beth, moves in to keep the family functioning the way she thinks they should be. Eddie does not approve. I really like how up front Eddie is about her distaste for this person coming and messing with their mourning. The moments when she complains about Beth or about her best friend Milo's girlfriend are when she feels most like a normal teenager.

Seth Reeves hardly left anything behind to explain why he killed himself. Until she knows why, Eddie doesn't know how to deal. To cope, she turns her focus to frustrating Beth and thinking about boys. She's looking for meaning, and if she can't find it in her father's action, maybe she can find it in Culler Evans, his only student. Eddie makes some really dumb choices with regards to romance, but they're so obviously a cry for help even she doesn't know she's making.

My favorite part is the mystery of why Seth jumped from the roof. Eddie and Culler find a box of photographs. From them, they discern clues as to his reason for exiting this world. Their search turns into a road trip and a bunch of life lessons. Those left behind when a loved one commits suicide will always wonder why, and feel culpable; this is why Eddie searches.

One of the most fascinating techniques Summers uses to highlight Eddie's discomfort is the coldness in her hands. Since his death, her hands have not been warm, even though it's the middle of summer. She has trouble using them and it's almost as though they've been damaged by the ordeal and cannot be fixed, in much the way Lady Macbeth couldn't get the damn spot out.

Unfortunately, I never personally connected with Eddie, and I viewed her solely from a distance. My heart didn't ache for her the way it did for Sloane in This Is Not a Test. Both are withdrawn, unhappy, messed up girls, but for some reason Sloane captured my heart and Eddie did not. I think part of my disconnection was how incredibly sad every aspect of this book is. I prefer a bit more humor, even really dark humor, mixed in to lighten the mood. That juxtaposition tends to make points more strongly, I find, than a book that stays consistently sad.

Courtney Summers writes amazing books, though I do not think this one will be my favorite of the bunch. I do, however, plan to revisit this one later in life, because the themes of dealing with grief might be more meaningful for me then. ( )
  A_Reader_of_Fictions | Apr 1, 2013 |
This book falls somewhere between 3 and 4 stars for me.

Eddie Reeves is lost since her father's suicide. A once-famous photographer, her father leaves basically no clues behind to indicate his motivations. Her mother is basically nonfunctioning after his death so her mother's best friend moves in to attempt to keep things in order. Eddie's own best friend, Milo, won't tell her some of the details about the night her father died. When she meets a mysterious former student of her father's who is similarly aggrieved by his death, they attempt to shed some light on the matter.

I had never read anything by [a:Courtney Summers|1487748|Courtney Summers|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1266992933p2/1487748.jpg] before and I appreciated her voice. At times, when I am reading [a:Sarah Dessen|2987|Sarah Dessen|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1208460253p2/2987.jpg] books, I just wish she would be realistic about teenage thoughts and what goes on in high school. (Not that I don't enjoy Dessen's books, I definitely do) I think what I am getting at is that the conversations in this book felt real. So often in books, people say exactly what they want to say at the moment they want to say it. Sometimes we say things to people solely to be mean or to hit them where it hurts, especially when we're in a bad mood, and I'm glad these moments were left in the book. At one point, one of the characters tells another, "You make me feel alone," and I thought that was one of the harshest things someone could ever say to another person. The times after we lose someone we love are some of the hardest times we go through in life and Summers did a great job of capturing that feeling. (Especially the thought that everyone has--that no one can understand their grief)

There is a sort of love triangle going on in this book, but unlike basically every other YA book out there, there was absolutely no moment where I was cheering for one of the guys. One of them was a total creepshow and the other was (for the most part) really endearing. No contest.

I liked Courtney Summers' writing style and will definitely check out more of her work. She painted some beautiful imagery at times and I enjoyed the characters in the book. (even when I wasn't particularly enjoying their actions) Anyway, I don't want this book to sound earth-shattering because it wasn't. But I did enjoy it, read it rather quickly, and thought it was well done.

FlanneryAC | Mar 31, 2013 |
&
(always)
Lori Thibert
My hands are dying.

I stare at the bonfire until I realize it’s fallen quiet and everyone is staring at me. “Oh. It’s okay,” I say to Deacon. “It’s okay.” “Sorry about your dad,” Deacon says. “That was supremely fucked up.” “Yeah,” I agree. “It was.” “Is it true your mom’s like, catatonic?” “Deacon!” Jenna. “What?” Deacon asks. “It’s not like we’re not all thinking it.”
A gritty story of one girl’s attempt to make sense of her father’s untimely death…

As she searches for clues that would explain the suicide of her successful photographer father, Eddie Reeves meets the strangely compelling Culler Evans who seems to know a great deal about her father and could hold the key to the mystery surrounding his death.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,672,532 books! | Top bar: Always visible