Fall for Anything by Courtney Summers

Fall for Anything

by Courtney Summers

If Beth doesn't get eaten by angry snakes at some point after this book finishes, then the world knows no justice. ( )
  humblewomble | Oct 19, 2014 |
Warning: May contain spoilers

Even though I own all of Courtney Summers books, the first time I had got around to reading anything by here was last month. It was This is Not a Test and it was a really good book. I'll be honest, at the moment I'm not really into the whole realistic YA books, maybe its because I'm just a little bit obsessed with dystopia but I've only got a short while to finish any of my reading challenges on Goodreads and this was on the list, so I picked it up. It did not disappoint one bit.

This book is set from Eddie's point of view. Its a few weeks after her dad committed suicide and while her mother is falling apart she is trying to figure out why. He seemed happy, a well known photographer and a dotting father, so Eddie just could not understand why he would do it.

Until one day she meets Culler. Culler Evans was her dads one and only student, and someone else who misses him just as much as she seems to. Her best friend, Milo, who has always been her rock, has now turned to and ex instead of helping Eddie through this hard time. Milo, someone she's been friends with for as long as she can remember, was the one who found Eddie with her dad (her dad having jumped off the top of an abandoned building in town) and refuses to talk about it with her. Lost and confused she seeks comfort in Culler, who is able to give her an insight into the person her dad was while working, leaving Eddie feeling more and more like she didn't truly know who her father was.

On one of their many trips to the abandoned building that her father jumped from, somewhere Eddie likes to sit when she's got no where else to go or needs to clear her head, her and Culler find the initials SR carved into the wood, and while cleaning out her fathers things at the studio they find only photos, photos Culler says her dad had took just a week before his death. So Eddie and Culler set off on an adventure to find the places in the photos and see if there is anything else there, something that could give them some insight into why he decided he didn't want to live any more.

Confused and torn between Culler and Milo, Eddie struggles to cope even more, especially as its seeming more and more that her dad just wasn't happy, that he didn't want to live any more because there wasn't anything to live for.

This book was so well written and heart wrenching that the only way to truly explain to you how I felt reading it is just to read it yourself, because I cant explain it. The characters felt so life like and real that I sometimes forgot that I was reading a fiction book. ( )
  Staciesnape | Sep 14, 2014 |
Seventeen year old Eddie's photographer father, Seth, committed suicide by jumping off the roof of a 7 story warehouse. She's been searching for answers to the question "why?". He'd enjoyed fame and notoriety years before for plastering his Cityscape photos all over the city, but has since moved to a small town for solitude.

While visiting the warehouse, Eddie runs into Cullen, her father's student, about whom she knew nothing. Cullen discovers her father's initials carved on one wall.

All that was left in her father's photography studio were six photos of different locations. Eddie and Cullen, also devastated by Seth's death, decide to visit the locations to look for clues.

Fall for Anything is a pretty good book. There was a twist at the end which I kinda saw coming, in a way, but not exactly as the author wrote it. You like Eddie and can understand, on some level, her need to find answers. The premise of the story is good as well. A pretty good read. ( )
  EdGoldberg | Jan 1, 2014 |
  heterocephalusglaber | Apr 26, 2013 |
lots of angst but well told ( )
  lindap69 | Apr 5, 2013 |
&
(always)
Lori Thibert
My hands are dying.

I stare at the bonfire until I realize it’s fallen quiet and everyone is staring at me. “Oh. It’s okay,” I say to Deacon. “It’s okay.” “Sorry about your dad,” Deacon says. “That was supremely fucked up.” “Yeah,” I agree. “It was.” “Is it true your mom’s like, catatonic?” “Deacon!” Jenna. “What?” Deacon asks. “It’s not like we’re not all thinking it.”
A gritty story of one girl’s attempt to make sense of her father’s untimely death…

As she searches for clues that would explain the suicide of her successful photographer father, Eddie Reeves meets the strangely compelling Culler Evans who seems to know a great deal about her father and could hold the key to the mystery surrounding his death.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,393,921 books! | Top bar: Always visible