Agent 6 by Tom Rob Smith

Agent 6 (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Tom Rob Smith

Member:DeltaQueen50
Title:Agent 6
Authors:Tom Rob Smith
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2012), Hardcover, 480 pages
Tags:Crime Fiction, Leo Demidov (3), 2013 Challenge, Category: Arianna Franklin - Historical Crime, AlphaCat: The Letter A, Reading Through Time Monthly: The Cold War, TIOLI #1: No Duplicate Letters

Agent 6 by Tom Rob Smith (2011)

English (27)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (29)
I have to say that I was pretty disappointed with Agent 6. After completely enjoying Child 44 and its sequel The Secret Speech I was looking forward to the finale of the Leo Demidov trilogy. Unfortunately, it feels like Smith wrote a story that turned out to be less than 200 pages long, so he dropped a completely different story right in the middle of it to fill out the pages. The result is that Leo is absent from the entire first half of the book. When he does show up, rather than work towards a resolution of the situation, he goes off in the opposite direction for a couple of hundred pages. Finally, in the last 50 pages, everything comes together with so many coincidences lining up to get us there that it almost becomes comical. Punctuate it with a unsavory ending and I'm left with a bad taste in my mouth with this third installment. Definitely pick up the first two in the series. They are well worth a read. As for Agent 6, better to 86 it. ( )
  csayban | Jan 4, 2015 |
This is the final book in the trilogy following the life of Leo Demidov, a former KGB officer. Unfortunately, it is also the weakest of the three novels as the plot contains too many situations relying on unlikely coincidences to reach its conclusion. The writing is nowhere near as compelling as in the first novel, “Child 44”. Although Leo’s character continues to develop and change throughout the book and there are a number of difficulties for him to overcome, the overall result is somewhat disappointing.
1 vote camharlow | Aug 20, 2013 |
on the whole this was a bit of a disappointment - it starts of well but then by the time the characters get to America it keeps on rambling on and on and ever on the actual words 'Agent 6' do not appear until almost the end of the story and even he is a disappointment! I kept reading it only because I didn't have anything else too read. I've read Child 44 and that was a damn fine read but this - ??? ( )
  nikon | Jul 19, 2013 |
Parts of it lived up to the expectations created by Smith's earlier Leo Demidov books, other parts didn't. The parts that did were marvelous, the parts that didn't were rather dull. ( )
  eapalmer | Jun 29, 2013 |
If my days weren't filled with other things as well, I would have read this book in just one sitting. Souch terrifying first pages, that gave me the sense as if I were there. The author put the finger right on the sour spot of how people think / thought in the former USSR, how the intelligence agents were trained.

I liked this book a lot, again, just like the others in this series. Very sad, gripping, even unpleasant at times, but absolutely plausible when considering if things like this could have happened.
I'm trying to convince myself that those days are over, but... I'm not sure. Looking at what is going on at the moment in Russia and everwhere else in the world, I don't think any of the agencies are resting.

If you like the genre, this is a very recommendable read!! ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Mar 31, 2013 |

Is contained in

Contains

To Zoe Trodd
The safest way to write a diary was to imagine Stalin reading every word.

From the back cover:
Moscow, 1965. Former Secret Service agent Leo Demidov is forbidden to travel with his wife and daughters to New York as part of a 'Peace Tour', meant to foster better relations between the two Cold War enemies. Leo's natural paranoia reaches its peak: Why have his family been selected? What is being planned? When Leo's worst fears are realised and a tragic murder destroys everything he loves, he demands only one thing: that he is allowed to investigate and find the killer who has struck at the heart of his family. Crippled by grief, his request denied, Leo sees no other option than to take matters into his own hands, thousands of miles from the crime scene. In a surprising, thrilling story that spans decades and continents - from the backstreets of 1960s New York to the mountains of Afghanistan in the 1980s - Leo will stop at nothing as he hunts the one person who knows the truth: Agent 6.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446550760, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, January 2012: To solve the murder that splintered his family, ex-KGB officer Leo Demidov escapes the ruins of Stalinist Russia through opium-soaked 1980s Afghanistan to New York's underbelly. Smith secures his place in the pantheon of crime writers with this taut, enthralling conclusion to the trilogy he brilliantly began with Child 44 and The Secret Speech. --Mari Malcolm

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:02 -0400)

"Former secret police agent Leo Demidov is thrown into a foreign conflict and is forced to question and confront everything he ever thought he knew about his country, his family, and himself"--Provided by publisher.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,192,209 books! | Top bar: Always visible