Agent 6 by Tom Rob Smith

Agent 6 (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Tom Rob Smith

376None28,540 (3.71)65
Member:Rynooo
Title:Agent 6
Authors:Tom Rob Smith
Info:Simon & Schuster Ltd (2012), Paperback, 560 pages
Rating:**

Agent 6 by Tom Rob Smith (2011)

2012 (5) 2013 (3) Afghanistan (18) ARC (3) audio (5) audiobook (3) Cold War (12) communism (8) crime (10) ebook (4) espionage (6) FBI (3) fiction (39) historical fiction (9) KGB (7) Kindle (4) Leo Demidov (8) library (3) Moscow (5) mystery (11) New York (5) novel (3) Russia (26) series (3) signed (3) Soviet Union (23) suspense (4) thriller (33) to-read (10) USA (7)

English (26)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (28)
This is the final book in the trilogy following the life of Leo Demidov, a former KGB officer. Unfortunately, it is also the weakest of the three novels as the plot contains too many situations relying on unlikely coincidences to reach its conclusion. The writing is nowhere near as compelling as in the first novel, “Child 44”. Although Leo’s character continues to develop and change throughout the book and there are a number of difficulties for him to overcome, the overall result is somewhat disappointing.
1 vote camharlow | Aug 20, 2013 |
on the whole this was a bit of a disappointment - it starts of well but then by the time the characters get to America it keeps on rambling on and on and ever on the actual words 'Agent 6' do not appear until almost the end of the story and even he is a disappointment! I kept reading it only because I didn't have anything else too read. I've read Child 44 and that was a damn fine read but this - ??? ( )
  nikon | Jul 19, 2013 |
Parts of it lived up to the expectations created by Smith's earlier Leo Demidov books, other parts didn't. The parts that did were marvelous, the parts that didn't were rather dull. ( )
  eapalmer | Jun 29, 2013 |
If my days weren't filled with other things as well, I would have read this book in just one sitting. Souch terrifying first pages, that gave me the sense as if I were there. The author put the finger right on the sour spot of how people think / thought in the former USSR, how the intelligence agents were trained.

I liked this book a lot, again, just like the others in this series. Very sad, gripping, even unpleasant at times, but absolutely plausible when considering if things like this could have happened.
I'm trying to convince myself that those days are over, but... I'm not sure. Looking at what is going on at the moment in Russia and everwhere else in the world, I don't think any of the agencies are resting.

If you like the genre, this is a very recommendable read!! ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Mar 31, 2013 |
I have read neither CHILD 44 nor its sequel THE SECRET SPEECH so for me AGENT 6 had to make sense as a stand alone, and it did, although it did make me feel that I should go back and read the other two at some stage.

I was unprepared for the timespan of the novel and wasn't helped by chapters that are headed "Same Day" or "One Month Later". I do understand that the action basically takes place between 1965 and and 1981/2 and that the location moves from Russia to Afghanistan to New York, following Leo Demidov's quest to clear his wife's name. It explores the political connections between Russia, Afghanistan and America, and the truly awful ramifications of the manipulation of ordinary lives by a few secret agents from both sides. The conspiracy that first affects Demidov's wife and daughters in 1965 is still alive in 1981.

On another plane it balances love of the family against patriotism. There are at least two examples of young people who put aside familial loyalties for what they see as the higher level of patriotism. Demidov's loyalty to his family is contrasted with the betrayal of an Afghani girl's parents.

I don't know that you can ever say you enjoy this sort of novel, but I felt that it did add depth to my basic knowledge. ( )
  smik | Mar 10, 2013 |

Is contained in

Contains

To Zoe Trodd
The safest way to write a diary was to imagine Stalin reading every word.

From the back cover:
Moscow, 1965. Former Secret Service agent Leo Demidov is forbidden to travel with his wife and daughters to New York as part of a 'Peace Tour', meant to foster better relations between the two Cold War enemies. Leo's natural paranoia reaches its peak: Why have his family been selected? What is being planned? When Leo's worst fears are realised and a tragic murder destroys everything he loves, he demands only one thing: that he is allowed to investigate and find the killer who has struck at the heart of his family. Crippled by grief, his request denied, Leo sees no other option than to take matters into his own hands, thousands of miles from the crime scene. In a surprising, thrilling story that spans decades and continents - from the backstreets of 1960s New York to the mountains of Afghanistan in the 1980s - Leo will stop at nothing as he hunts the one person who knows the truth: Agent 6.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446550760, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, January 2012: To solve the murder that splintered his family, ex-KGB officer Leo Demidov escapes the ruins of Stalinist Russia through opium-soaked 1980s Afghanistan to New York's underbelly. Smith secures his place in the pantheon of crime writers with this taut, enthralling conclusion to the trilogy he brilliantly began with Child 44 and The Secret Speech. --Mari Malcolm

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:02 -0400)

"Former secret police agent Leo Demidov is thrown into a foreign conflict and is forced to question and confront everything he ever thought he knew about his country, his family, and himself"--Provided by publisher.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,500,678 books! | Top bar: Always visible