Agent 6 by Tom Rob Smith

Agent 6 (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Tom Rob Smith

Member:Rynooo
Title:Agent 6
Authors:Tom Rob Smith
Info:Simon & Schuster Ltd (2012), Paperback, 560 pages
Rating:**

Agent 6 by Tom Rob Smith (2011)

English (35)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (37)
Tom Rob Smith has had an auspicious beginning to his literary career. Child 44 and The Secret Speech were both excellent, and Agent 6 is a worthy successor.

The beginning of Agent 6 was a little disjointed. I don't like to disclose plot details, but Soviet secret police, American communists, torture, propaganda, time jumps, and location changes all contributed to what initially struck me as too broad a palette for the story. However, it settled down and became quite a great read. An interesting side-note is that the description of the Russian problems in Afghanistan seems to reinforce some of the issues we've had in that country. It also brought back a lot of memories of the cold-war era- not exactly the 'good old days', but at least we knew who our enemies were.

I don't think this is the best of his 3 novels, but it's really good. Agent 6 is well-written and scripted, and Mr. Smith does a good job developing his characters and making us care about them. ( )
  gmmartz | Jun 21, 2016 |
Review: Agent 6 by Tom Rob Smith.

I read the first two books of the Leo Demidov trilogy. I thought book one was amazing, book two I found to be good but not exciting as book one. This is the third book so far; not knowing if another will follow but this book does show qualifications, content and a hint of another book. I believe this book is the weakest of the three. I think Tom Smith wrote to many Russian and American issues as well as technology and tried to keep the story flowing close to the time and history of the two countries around 1950 to 1980. Than he added politics of Afghanistan and Pakistan into the story, the description of drug use and the human abuse was vivid, which gave the reader more of Leo’s lifestyle and character to process.

The storytelling was good but a little too much adventure sometimes makes the story unbelievable but I still was able to keep up even with some boredom here and there. The story was fascinating especially where I have followed Leo Demidov’s good and bad character from book one.

Tom Smith begins this book with some information relating to a couple of events that happened in the earlier books, just enough to bring the timeframe up to date to continue the story of the cold world of KGB agent Leo Demidov. From that point the story goes to Leo and his wife being separated once again. Leo’s wife Raisa went with her music class to perform in New York, USA with other American music students. This is the time of the McCarthy era where communism was still an issue in America. Leo was not allowed to make the trip….

The dilemma was keeping peace, and having no problems while the Russian students were in America. However, the story starts to build momentum with a double murder in the heart of New York and involves Leo’s own family and an eminent Negro singer who had been persecuted in the US for his ideological commitment to communism. What happened in America…..?

Leo’s strained loyalty to his masters is tested beyond endurance. Leo’s quest to unravel the tragic events of 1965 took him fifteen years before he was able to get to the truth of what really happened in New York. His visit to New York was short lived and he now finds himself posted in Afghanistan…..

I thought the ending was thoroughly thought out creatively and emotionally. A good story but unfortunately sometimes slow paced…..
  Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
Well, this read like a combination of the first two books in this trilogy. The New York parts (the beginning and the end) were good like the first book. The middle was bad, like the second book. So overall, it was so-so. ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Jan 23, 2016 |
Although not as gripping as "Child 44" this is still a satisfying conclusion to the series. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
While I enjoyed Agent 6 ( and have no idea why it was called Agent 6 ) it was an enjoyable read. However, I am pleased that this was book three of the trilogy. ( )
  DCarlin | Jan 22, 2016 |

Is contained in

Contains

To Zoe Trodd
The safest way to write a diary was to imagine Stalin reading every word.

From the back cover:
Moscow, 1965. Former Secret Service agent Leo Demidov is forbidden to travel with his wife and daughters to New York as part of a 'Peace Tour', meant to foster better relations between the two Cold War enemies. Leo's natural paranoia reaches its peak: Why have his family been selected? What is being planned? When Leo's worst fears are realised and a tragic murder destroys everything he loves, he demands only one thing: that he is allowed to investigate and find the killer who has struck at the heart of his family. Crippled by grief, his request denied, Leo sees no other option than to take matters into his own hands, thousands of miles from the crime scene. In a surprising, thrilling story that spans decades and continents - from the backstreets of 1960s New York to the mountains of Afghanistan in the 1980s - Leo will stop at nothing as he hunts the one person who knows the truth: Agent 6.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446550760, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, January 2012: To solve the murder that splintered his family, ex-KGB officer Leo Demidov escapes the ruins of Stalinist Russia through opium-soaked 1980s Afghanistan to New York's underbelly. Smith secures his place in the pantheon of crime writers with this taut, enthralling conclusion to the trilogy he brilliantly began with Child 44 and The Secret Speech. --Mari Malcolm

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:59 -0400)

"Former secret police agent Leo Demidov is thrown into a foreign conflict and is forced to question and confront everything he ever thought he knew about his country, his family, and himself"--Provided by publisher.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,826,787 books! | Top bar: Always visible