Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky

Crime and Punishment (1866)

by Fyodor Dostoevsky

28,55333133 (4.25)2 / 679
    Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy (Booksloth)
    The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky (PrincessPaulina, zasmine)
    PrincessPaulina: "The Idiot" is overlooked compared to Dostoevsky's other work, but in my opinion it's the most engaging. Deals with upper crust society in pre-revolutionary Russia
    zasmine: For more of his social dissection
    The Trial by Franz Kafka (SanctiSpiritus, Kantar)
    The Stranger by Albert Camus (chrisharpe, DLSmithies)
    DLSmithies: A compare-and-contrast exercise - Raskolnikov is all nervous energy and hypertension, whereas Meursault is detatched, calm, and won't pretend to feel remorse. Two masterpieces.
    Notes from Underground by Fyodor Dostoevsky (SanctiSpiritus, Kantar)
    The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga (infiniteletters)
    The Man Without Qualities, Volume 1: A Sort of Introduction, and Pseudo Reality Prevails by Robert Musil (ateolf)
    Hunger by Knut Hamsun (ateolf)
    Herzog by Saul Bellow (SanctiSpiritus)
    The Tell-Tale Heart and Other Writings by Edgar Allan Poe (GCPLreader)
    Perfume by Patrick Süskind (klerulo)
    klerulo: Both these works attempt to get inside the head of singularly amoral sociopathic murderers.

English (283)  Spanish (15)  Italian (6)  Dutch (5)  Finnish (5)  German (4)  French (3)  Portuguese (2)  Danish (2)  Catalan (2)  Swedish (1)  Czech (1)  Tagalog (1)  All languages (330)
A man, living in depressing poverty in a city full of small, horrible tragedies, commits a terrible crime for reasons that seem simple but probably aren't, then spends a long time in a complicated internal conflict between worrying that he'll be caught and wanting to confess.

It became clear to me pretty quickly just why this is considered such a classic. Dostoevsky writes with an incredibly subtle, nuanced, and realistic view of human psychology, complete with an understanding of all the ways in which people lie to themselves, justify their own actions, and fail to entirely understand their own motivations. That's pretty impressive stuff, and by a hundred pages or so in, I was enjoying this book much more than I expected to -- if "enjoying" is quite the right word for a novel so full of awful stuff -- and even finding a sort of bleak humor in just how utterly incompetent the protagonist seemed to be at both criminality and penitence. There's also some wonderfully vivid characters. I think Pyotr Petrovich Luzhin is perhaps my new favorite most hate-able character in all of literature.

It did begin to drag for me somewhere in the middle, though. I know it's silly to wish for this kind of novel to be a little bit shorter and pithier, but I found myself kind of wishing it, anyway. And I wasn't entirely satisfied with the note it ends on, but I think that's because Dostoevsky and I have different religious views, not because it isn't well-written.

Still, I do now understand just why this Dostoevsky fellow is still considered so much worth reading. And maybe one of these days I will finally get around to The Brothers Karamazov. ( )
1 vote bragan | Feb 3, 2016 |
I first read this book in high school and was mesmerized. When my book club was considering reading some classics, I recommended it, and I find that I still love the book. It is a classic psychological thriller. ( )
  BookConcierge | Jan 31, 2016 |
The Fifth Floor. Julie Oleszek. 2015. This first person narrative of a young woman’s recovery from anorexia in a mental hospital is interesting it is but not as good as I remember I Never Promised You a Rose Garden or Girl Interrupted being. It was a freebie or almost freebie on Kindle and an okay read if you like this kind of book. ( )
  judithrs | Jan 28, 2016 |
Despite the almost relentless depressing nature of this book, I really enjoyed the story. The dialogue (except maybe at the very beginning) brought life to the characters, much like Hemingway's; though, I have to confess, at times, that I was confused at who was talking and when something was a thought verses said out loud. I was expecting a full account of life in Siberia after "the crime." What I loved about the book was the portrayal of the punishment of the mind when one's pride gets in the way of doing right.

Another gem was that even minor characters had depths to them, surprises even. Much like Dickens, Dostoyevsky weaves in many characters that all play a large roll at one time or another.

Now, if only I had the sequel. ( )
1 vote memlhd | Jan 23, 2016 |

Now, if only I had the sequel. ( )
  memlhd | Jan 23, 2016 |

Reedijk, LourensTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rydelius, EllenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Volokhonsky, LarissaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vuori, M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
On an exceptionally hot evening early in July a young man came out of the garret in which he lodged in S. Place and walked slowly, as though in hesitation, towards K. bridge. (Garnett translation)
Toward the end of a sultry afternoon early in July a young man came out of his little room in Stolyarny Lane and turned slowly and somewhat irresolutely in the direction of Kamenny Bridge. (Coulson translation)
On a very hot evening at the beginning of July a young man left his little room at the top of a house in Carpenter Lane, went out into the street, and, as though unable to make up his mind, walked slowly in the direction of Kokushkin Bridge.
At the beginning of July, during an extremely hot spell, towards evening, a young man left the closet he rented from tenants in S____y Lane, walked out to the street, and slowly, as if indecisively, headed for the K______n Bridge. (Pevear and Volokhonsky translation)
In het begin van juli, het was tegen de avond en bijzonder warm, verliet een jongeman het kamertje dat hij aan de S-steeg in onderhuur bewoonde, en begaf zich traag, besluiteloos bijna, in de richting van de K-brug.
The original Russian title is “Преступление и наказание”.

How Raskolnikov, a former student, deluded, kind, handsome, mercilessly intellectual, comes half-dreaming with a borrowed hatchet to murder an old woman money-lender, is the central action of Crime and Punishment.

From its opening pages Dostoyevsky attaches us unreservedly to his hero, creating an intimacy that is claustrophobic, full of tension, and as haunting and relentless as a love affair. Begun as a novel concerned with the psychology of a crime and the processes of guilt, it surpasses itself to take on the tragic force of myth.

It is the king of murder stories. And of detective stories. And of thrillers... writes John Jones in his classic study of Dostoyevsky, calling Crime and Punishment the most accessible and exciting novel in the world.

The cover shows a painting by an anonymous artist in the Russian Museum, Leningrad.
Student with an axe:
Napoleon or madman?
Siberian gaol.

(Michael.Rimmer)
Good boy gone bad in

this novel: comic version

removes most drama.

(legallypuzzled)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553211757, Mass Market Paperback)

A desperate young man plans the perfect crime -- the murder of a despicable pawnbroker, an old women no one loves and no one will mourn. Is it not just, he reasons, for a man of genius to commit such a crime, to transgress moral law -- if it will ultimately benefit humanity? So begins one of the greatest novels ever written: a powerful psychological study, a terrifying murder mystery, a fascinating detective thriller infused with philosophical, religious and social commentary. Raskolnikov, an impoverished student living in a garret in the gloomy slums of St. Petersburg, carries out his grotesque scheme and plunges into a hell of persecution, madness and terror. Crime And Punishment takes the reader on a journey into the darkest recesses of the criminal and depraved mind, and exposes the soul of a man possessed by both good and evil ... a man who cannot escape his own conscience.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:28 -0400)

Determined to overreach his humanity and assert his untrammeled individual will, Raskolnikov, and impoverished student living in the St. Petersburg of the Tsars, commits an act of murder and theft and sets into motion a story which, for its excruciating suspense, its atmospheric vividness, and its profundity of characterization and vision, is almost unequaled in the literatures of the world.… (more)

Legacy Library: Fyodor Dostoevsky

Fyodor Dostoevsky has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Fyodor Dostoevsky's legacy profile.

See Fyodor Dostoevsky's author page.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0451530063, 0140449132

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,233,744 books! | Top bar: Always visible