Crime and Punishment by Fedor Mikhaïlovitch…

Crime and Punishment (1866)

by Fedor Mikhaïlovitch Dostoïevski (Author)

27,12229737 (4.25)2 / 676
    Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy (Booksloth)
    The Idiot by Fedor Mikhaïlovitch Dostoïevski (PrincessPaulina, zasmine)
    PrincessPaulina: "The Idiot" is overlooked compared to Dostoevsky's other work, but in my opinion it's the most engaging. Deals with upper crust society in pre-revolutionary Russia
    zasmine: For more of his social dissection
    The Trial by Franz Kafka (SanctiSpiritus, Kantar)
    The Stranger by Albert Camus (chrisharpe, DLSmithies)
    DLSmithies: A compare-and-contrast exercise - Raskolnikov is all nervous energy and hypertension, whereas Meursault is detatched, calm, and won't pretend to feel remorse. Two masterpieces.
    Notes from Underground by Fedor Mikhaïlovitch Dostoïevski (SanctiSpiritus, Kantar)
    The Man Without Qualities, Volume 1: A Sort of Introduction, and Pseudo Reality Prevails by Robert Musil (ateolf)
    The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga (infiniteletters)
    The Tell-Tale Heart and Other Writings by Edgar Allan Poe (GCPLreader)
    Hunger by Knut Hamsun (ateolf)
    Herzog by Saul Bellow (SanctiSpiritus)
    An American Tragedy by Theodore Dreiser (StevenTX)
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer by Patrick Süskind (klerulo)
    klerulo: Both these works attempt to get inside the head of singularly amoral sociopathic murderers.

English (254)  Spanish (13)  Italian (6)  Finnish (4)  Dutch (4)  French (4)  German (4)  Portuguese (2)  Danish (2)  Swedish (1)  Tagalog (1)  Catalan (1)  Czech (1)  All languages (297)
I found this book to be wholly engaging and a great study of what the mind can do to a person. ( )
1 vote CassandraT | Oct 10, 2014 |
READ IN ENGLISH

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

A very famous classic in Russian Literature. I read Anna Karenina last year (and I know it's Tolstoy, so completely different, but I don't have a lot to compare it with as I'm not really experienced in Russian Literature).

Rodion Romanovitch Raskolnikov, or Rodya, is a former student in St. Petersburg who's been planning to commit a 'perfect' murder. Only, it turns out to be not so perfect after all. Things only get worse thanks to his constant conviction that everyone is trying to expose this secret.

Rodya isn't a very sympathetic character (although less annoying than Anna in Anna Karenina). Luckily, there are nicer characters in this book, my favourite being Dmitri Prokofitch Razumihin, his friend who takes care of Rodya when he's (half) mad. I do wonder why all the older female characters seem to be hysteric, seems a bit sexist to me...

It's not a fast or easy read, but the story is very interesting and at some points it even gets exciting. Some times the story drags a little, as Dostojevski can write a lot about something small, or isn't always completely understandable, as Rodya's thinking in delirium isn't always clear. Still, I never felt it a burden to pick up this book. (I definitely liked it better than Anna Karenina) ( )
  Floratina | Sep 25, 2014 |
READ IN ENGLISH

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

Floratina | Sep 25, 2014 |
An excellent book on the psyche of a man going through an existential crisis. After committing a murder, the protagonist lives in both guilt and attempt to justify his actions. He falls into paranoia and pays for his crime before his punishment is delivered. The names are extremely long and hard to remember and even harder to pronounce but within the first three hundred pages, I got used to it. ( )
  Rosenstern | Sep 14, 2014 |
Did not enjoy this. It was long, drawn out, confusing and repetitive. I enjoyed the overall level and quality of writing, but I just could not get into the story. ( )
  cebellol | Jul 22, 2014 |

Reedijk, LourensTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rydelius, EllenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Volokhonsky, LarissaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vuori, M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
On an exceptionally hot evening early in July a young man came out of the garret in which he lodged in S. Place and walked slowly, as though in hesitation, towards K. bridge. (Garnett translation)
Toward the end of a sultry afternoon early in July a young man came out of his little room in Stolyarny Lane and turned slowly and somewhat irresolutely in the direction of Kamenny Bridge. (Coulson translation)
On a very hot evening at the beginning of July a young man left his little room at the top of a house in Carpenter Lane, went out into the street, and, as though unable to make up his mind, walked slowly in the direction of Kokushkin Bridge.
At the beginning of July, during an extremely hot spell, towards evening, a young man left the closet he rented from tenants in S____y Lane, walked out to the street, and slowly, as if indecisively, headed for the K______n Bridge. (Pevear and Volokhonsky translation)
In het begin van juli, het was tegen de avond en bijzonder warm, verliet een jongeman het kamertje dat hij aan de S-steeg in onderhuur bewoonde, en begaf zich traag, besluiteloos bijna, in de richting van de K-brug.
The original Russian title is “Преступление и наказание”.

How Raskolnikov, a former student, deluded, kind, handsome, mercilessly intellectual, comes half-dreaming with a borrowed hatchet to murder an old woman money-lender, is the central action of Crime and Punishment.

From its opening pages Dostoyevsky attaches us unreservedly to his hero, creating an intimacy that is claustrophobic, full of tension, and as haunting and relentless as a love affair. Begun as a novel concerned with the psychology of a crime and the processes of guilt, it surpasses itself to take on the tragic force of myth.

It is the king of murder stories. And of detective stories. And of thrillers... writes John Jones in his classic study of Dostoyevsky, calling Crime and Punishment the most accessible and exciting novel in the world.

The cover shows a painting by an anonymous artist in the Russian Museum, Leningrad.
Student with an axe:
Napoleon or madman?
Siberian gaol.

(Michael.Rimmer)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553211757, Mass Market Paperback)

A desperate young man plans the perfect crime -- the murder of a despicable pawnbroker, an old women no one loves and no one will mourn. Is it not just, he reasons, for a man of genius to commit such a crime, to transgress moral law -- if it will ultimately benefit humanity? So begins one of the greatest novels ever written: a powerful psychological study, a terrifying murder mystery, a fascinating detective thriller infused with philosophical, religious and social commentary. Raskolnikov, an impoverished student living in a garret in the gloomy slums of St. Petersburg, carries out his grotesque scheme and plunges into a hell of persecution, madness and terror. Crime And Punishment takes the reader on a journey into the darkest recesses of the criminal and depraved mind, and exposes the soul of a man possessed by both good and evil ... a man who cannot escape his own conscience.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:02 -0400)

Determined to overreach his humanity and assert his untrammeled individual will, Raskolnikov, and impoverished student living in the St. Petersburg of the Tsars, commits an act of murder and theft and sets into motion a story which, for its excruciating suspense, its atmospheric vividness, and its profundity of characterization and vision, is almost unequaled in the literatures of the world.… (more)

Legacy Library: Fyodor Dostoevsky

Fyodor Dostoevsky has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Fyodor Dostoevsky's legacy profile.

See Fyodor Dostoevsky's author page.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0451530063, 0140449132

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,026,911 books! | Top bar: Always visible