Istanbul: Memories and the City by Orhan…

Istanbul: Memories and the City (original 2003; edition 2006)

by Orhan Pamuk

Member:granulen
Title:Istanbul: Memories and the City
Authors:Orhan Pamuk
Info:Vintage (2006), Upplaga: 1st Vintage Intl. Edition, July 2006, Paperback, 400 sidor

Istanbul: Memories and the City by Orhan Pamuk (2003)

English (32)  German (4)  Dutch (2)  Norwegian (2)  Swedish (1)  Lithuanian (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (43)
Joy's review: an interesting memoir of Orhan Pamuk and a love letter to the city he has lived in his entire life. He reflects on the photography and history on slums and shipping on commerce and art of Istanbul between and within stories of his family's declining fortunes and his parent's volatile marriage. I'd say it's a must read if you're visiting that part of the world. ( )
  konastories | Jun 29, 2015 |
Great impression of Istanbul and its 'hüzün'. Especially, chapter 35 'First love' is simply moving. ( )
  M.J.Meeuwsen | Sep 14, 2014 |
I read this book because I wanted to read about Mr Pamuk's family & personal history. Istanbul in itself does not interest me much, but some of the things he wrote about are truly fascinating. He is also a hilarious memoirist, I really enjoyed reading some parts of this book. I did not, however, enjoy reading straight history about Ottoman emperors or reports on what other people said about Istanbul. The only exceptions would be the newspaper columnists & the guy who wrote the Istanbul Encyclopedia. But the other parts of pure history & review almost made me not want to finish the book. Were it not for him turning again to his family & personal story, I probably wouldn't have. I really do prefer him to throw facts out here & there, not all at once. Overall, when he's on, he's on, & I enjoyed most of it. I also loved the photographs & wrote down so many notes in order to further learn about Instanbul & Turkish writers. ( )
  mvbdlr | Aug 2, 2014 |
Took me forever to read, but the author's writing was addicting, in small doses. The melancholy of living among the ruins of a lost empire was well portrayed, as was the angst of a young man. ( )
  carladp | Mar 28, 2014 |
This book is a memoir of Istanbul from Orhan Pamuk's perspective. This book is so thorough that I used it when planning a trip to Istanbul. I highly recommend it to anyone traveling to Istanbul or those who want a deep understanding of the city and its citizens. ( )
  Marcella2010 | Mar 4, 2014 |

Orhan Pamukprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Miró, CarlesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Piqué, EmmaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The beauty of a landscape resides in its sadness.

Ahmet Rasim
To my father, Gündüz Pamuk (1925-2002)

A portrait of one of the world's most complex and diverse cities interweaves the history of Istanbul with observations and reflections on the city's landmarks, art, people, institutions, and great spaces.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,383,967 books! | Top bar: Always visible