Istanbul: Memories and the City by Orhan…

Istanbul: Memories and the City (original 2003; edition 2006)

by Orhan Pamuk

Member:granulen
Title:Istanbul: Memories and the City
Authors:Orhan Pamuk
Info:Vintage (2006), Upplaga: 1st Vintage Intl. Edition, July 2006, Paperback, 400 sidor

Istanbul: Memories and the City by Orhan Pamuk (2003)

English (31)  German (4)  Dutch (2)  Norwegian (2)  Swedish (1)  Lithuanian (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (42)
Great impression of Istanbul and its 'hüzün'. Especially, chapter 35 'First love' is simply moving. ( )
  M.J.Meeuwsen | Sep 14, 2014 |
I read this book because I wanted to read about Mr Pamuk's family & personal history. Istanbul in itself does not interest me much, but some of the things he wrote about are truly fascinating. He is also a hilarious memoirist, I really enjoyed reading some parts of this book. I did not, however, enjoy reading straight history about Ottoman emperors or reports on what other people said about Istanbul. The only exceptions would be the newspaper columnists & the guy who wrote the Istanbul Encyclopedia. But the other parts of pure history & review almost made me not want to finish the book. Were it not for him turning again to his family & personal story, I probably wouldn't have. I really do prefer him to throw facts out here & there, not all at once. Overall, when he's on, he's on, & I enjoyed most of it. I also loved the photographs & wrote down so many notes in order to further learn about Instanbul & Turkish writers. ( )
  mvbdlr | Aug 2, 2014 |
Took me forever to read, but the author's writing was addicting, in small doses. The melancholy of living among the ruins of a lost empire was well portrayed, as was the angst of a young man. ( )
  carladp | Mar 28, 2014 |
This book is a memoir of Istanbul from Orhan Pamuk's perspective. This book is so thorough that I used it when planning a trip to Istanbul. I highly recommend it to anyone traveling to Istanbul or those who want a deep understanding of the city and its citizens. ( )
  Marcella2010 | Mar 4, 2014 |
Pamuk ardently loves Istanbul come what may. His warm abode.A place where his childhood memories are masked in every paved stones and town structures.Fated to this predestined city his aspirations molded into becoming a writer and not an artist.

I'll etch a comprehensive review when my age is equivalent to that of Pamuk’s 58 years. On behalf of my 30 years of being on this planet, I vocalize my immense repulse for melancholic reminiscence. I sternly adhere to selective amnesia when it comes to my past barricading the battlegrounds of nostalgia and ruthless gloominess. It sensed similar to one of the obligatory elocutions of "my old days" by an elderly relative at my frightful family reunions or the nerve wrecking yakking with previous acquaintances.
  Praj05 | Apr 5, 2013 |

Orhan Pamukprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Miró, CarlesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Piqué, EmmaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The beauty of a landscape resides in its sadness.

Ahmet Rasim
To my father, Gündüz Pamuk (1925-2002)

A portrait of one of the world's most complex and diverse cities interweaves the history of Istanbul with observations and reflections on the city's landmarks, art, people, institutions, and great spaces.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,363,773 books! | Top bar: Always visible