The owl and the nightingale; (and),…

The owl and the nightingale; (and), Cleanness; (and) St. Erkenwald (1971)

by Brian Stone (Editor)

This penguin book contains some very nice, naturally flowing translations of the original Middle English poems. The included annotations and introductions are also very informative, and greatly increased my enjoyment of the texts (the essays are a little dated due to this volume having been published in 1971, but they have stood up very well). I very much enjoyed this collection, and plan to read 'The Owl and the Nightingale' again in the original tongue once my proficiency has improved enough. ( )
  hickey92 | Jan 24, 2016 |
I DEDICATE THIS SECOND EDITION
TO THE MEMORY OF BETTY RADICE,

WHO COMMISSIONED THIS BOOK
FOREWORD
These three poems are examples of major genres of medieval religius writing: saint's legend, Bible epic, and religious debate
ST ERKENWALD
(Bishop of London 675-93)
An alliterative poem, written about 1386, narrating a miracle wrought by him in St Paul's cathedral.

INTRODUCTION
This poem belongs to a genre of writing which is central to the purposes and ceremonies of the medieval church: the saint's legend.
Contains "The Owl and the Nightingale", "Cleanness" and "St Erkenwald". Please don't combine with other works containing only one of these.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,760,718 books! | Top bar: Always visible