At Risk: (Liz Carlyle 1) by Stella Rimington

At Risk: (Liz Carlyle 1) (original 2004; edition 2017)

by Stella Rimington (Author)

5581925,580 (3.58)12
Member:john257hopper
Title:At Risk: (Liz Carlyle 1)
Authors:Stella Rimington (Author)
Info:Cornerstone Digital (2017), 466 pages
Collections:Your library, Owned, eBooks
Tags:eBook, fiction, 2017, Kindle Store

At Risk by Stella Rimington (2004)

English (18)  German (1)  All languages (19)
I picked this up because of her job as head of MI5. I think it is her first book and half way through I wanted to grip her and send her on a good creative writing course. Maybe that is what happened as the first half of the book is all about setting the scene and involved a lot of tedious detail about clothes and food and possibly even furniture - and is far too long. Then the story picks up with some real tension and pace and a lot of cleverness. I have friends in this part of Norfolk and so I enjoyed the way the plot was rooted in the places and countryside. ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | May 27, 2018 |
I've had my eye on Rimington's Liz Carlyle books for a while - how often do you get to read a spy novel written by a spy?

You can tell that the author knows the real business of intelligence work: her characters are doing a job. They have real-people worries, and real-people christmas parties (with 50 rubber David Shayler masks). Intelligence work is also the result of a team effort - every person bringing their own little piece of the jigsaw.

The story follows Liz Carlyle, as she tries to locate an "invisible" - an enemy agent dangerous because he or she has a legal right to reside in the target country, so is very difficult to spot. Not only must Liz identify the "invisible", but also the target. Something is about to go down - but what?

The best part of the book for me, was right at the end. Rimington has not taken the easy way out of making the enemy simply easy automata: people have reasons for what they do, and sometimes those are reasons that you can sympathise with, or understand. Sometimes not. Threat is not always about big plans by evil geniuses; sometimes, the threat is small, and human, and tragic - but no less dangerous. ( )
  T_K_Elliott | Mar 12, 2017 |
I really enjoyed At Risk, Stella Rimington's first novel in the Liz Carlyle series. Unfortunately, I'd begun reading Rimington with the 8th book in the series, didn't think it was very good but took a chance at checking out an earlier entry. I'm glad I did.

At Risk is a very good spy thriller with a plot that, sadly, seems all too real. I won't go into details, but suffice to say that it's a great story that could be taken from current headlines. Rimington has tons of credibility, writes well, and does a good job with dialogue (much better than Close Call).

It now looks like I have 6 more of the Liz Carlyle series to absorb. I'm interested in seeing how the characters develop along the way and if Close Call was an aberration or a slide into mediocrity for Ms. Rimington. If you're into spy novels, though, this one is a good one! ( )
  gmmartz | Jun 21, 2016 |
Liz Carlyle works for MI5 and receives information that an "invisible", i.e. some one travelling on a British passport, has entered the country intending to carry out a terrorist plot. Liz teams up with representative from MI6, the police and, by the end, most other agencies/arms of government to try to identify the terrorists and their target.

This is the first in a series and I can see the there are threads left for further development, including Liz's love life and (I imagine) the asset codenamed Marzipan. I found this generally enjoyable, although it could have been bit shorter and more streamlined. There were lots of interesting characters, like Perry and Anne, Denzil, the police officers who failed to check the holiday bungalow etc, but they popped up only briefly and then we were on to the next thing. Was the MI5 agent in Norfolk working for Melvin Eastman? What became of Eastman and his crime empire?

I'm keen to read the next in the series. ( )
  pgchuis | May 22, 2016 |
A decent, if not especially memorable, thriller. Distinguished partly by the fact that the author, Stella Rimington, was the first head of the real MI5. The interplay between the MI5 and MI6, friendly enough but with some sharp elbows, is probably based in the not-entirely-fictional tension between the two services. ( )
  viking2917 | May 14, 2016 |

Physical description: 393 p. ; 24 cm. Subjects: Intelligence service - Great Britain - Fiction. Terrorism - Prevention - Fiction. Intelligence officers - Fiction.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:15 -0400)

Summary: An 'invisible' is CIA speak for the ultimate intelligence nightmare: the terrorist who, because he or she is an ethnic native of the target country, can cross its borders unchecked, move around that country unquestioned and infiltrate its institutions with ease. An invisible on mainland Britain was the worst possible news. For Liz Carlyle, an MI5 Intelligence officer, this report from MI6 marks the start of an operation which will test her to the limit and put her own life in jeopardy.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,960,199 books! | Top bar: Always visible