Bonjour Tristesse (1954)

by Françoise Sagan

2,883913,528 (3.53)2 / 222
Cecile is the spoiled 17-year-old daughter of Raymond, a wealthy Parisian widower vacationing in a villa on the French Riviera. Their pleasure-seeking existence is threatened when Raymond decides to marry Cecile's straitlaced godmother, Anne, who disapproves of the teenager's steamy summer affair with Philippe.… (more)
    The Shadow of the Sun by A. S. Byatt (PilgrimJess)
    PilgrimJess: In both books young women don't realise that actions have consequences.
    A Compass Error: A Novel by Sybille Bedford (shaunie)
    shaunie: Both books capture the hedonism and sensuality of Southern France between the wars.
    The Misunderstanding by Irène Némirovsky (caflores)
    The Dud Avocado by Elaine Dundy (carlym)
    carlym: Similar theme--young girl in France becoming an adult.

English (68)  French (11)  Dutch (4)  Swedish (3)  Danish (2)  Catalan (2)  Spanish (2)  All languages (92)
Oh la la, les filles adolescentes...je rougis a penser que j'en étais une. Cecile n'aime pas la fiancee de son papa, veuf, alors elle invente une affaire pour créer la jalousie et inciter la rupture. Les consequences sont brutales. ( )
  stephkaye | Dec 14, 2020 |
Spoiled rich 17 year French girl living with 40 year old widowed playboy dad. They rent a villa outside Paris for the summer and live their lives for their own pleasures. Focuses on her first sexual relationship and the relationships of her father and how easily he is influenced by her and his friends. This was a sensation when published in 1950's France but I found nothing redeeming in it, ( )
  bogopea | Dec 9, 2020 |
So this is the story of Cécile, a seventeen-year-old upper-class French schoolgirl with this kind of womanising, playboy dad. Playboy Dad more or less lets Cécile do what she wants, but then he randomly decides to marry someone he just met (?) and she is actually a pain in the arse, so Cécile spends the rest of the novel scheming to get rid of her.

I did find it vaguely amusing, and I enjoyed Cécile's cynicism about love and her relationship with Cyril, but overall… it was an amusing little read but not much more than that. ( )
  Jayeless | May 27, 2020 |
Airy, wispy and light: one could easily skim these pages, but if you look closely into the sentences, you quickly discover a world of its own. I have a hard time wrapping my mind around the fact that Sagan wrote this at the age of 18, but there it is.

Interesting, soft and brilliant, this is a quick, atmospheric and memorable read. ( )
  pivic | Mar 21, 2020 |
This book will always remind me of the time I read it--I think I was about 14, and it was far and away the most grown up thing I'd read. The style of the prose is very intimate; as such, the main character is very easy to relate to. Sagan does an excellent job transporting you to a very different time and place. This is a quick, enjoyable novella that is great for an airplane ride or a light summery read. ( )
  pollytropic | Feb 20, 2020 |

Sagan, FrançoiseAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ash, IreneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lampo, HubertTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Treichl, HelgaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Adieu tristesse
Bonjour tristesse
Tu es inscrite dans les lignes du plafond
Tu es inscrite dans les yeux que j'aime
Tu n'es pas tout à fait la misère
Car les lèvres les plus pauvres te dénoncent
Par un sourire
Bonjour tristesse
Amour des corps aimables
Puissance de l'amour
Dont l'amabilité surgit
Comme un monstre sans corps
Tête désappointée
Tristesse beau visage
- P. Eluard
A strange melancholy pervades me to which I hesitate to give the grave and beautiful name of sadness.
I visualized a life of degradation and moral turpitude as my ideal.

Cecile leads a hedonistic, frivolous life with her father and his young mistress. On holiday in the South of France, she is seduced by the sun, the sand and her first lover. But when her father decides to remarry, their carefree existence becomes clouded by tragedy.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014103291X, 0241951569

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,105,998 books! | Top bar: Always visible