The Dark and Hollow Places by Carrie Ryan

The Dark and Hollow Places

by Carrie Ryan

Series: The Forest of Hands and Teeth (3)

604None16,467 (3.95)21
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (hermionewannabe)
    hermionewannabe: It is a controlled society like the Forest of Hands and Teeth books. If you like dystopian books, i highly recommend "The Hunger Games".

Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Full of action, romance, and zombies. Satisfying ending to a well done and entertaining series.

Opening Sentence: This city used to be something once.

The Review:

Annah’s story begins with her struggles to survive. This isn’t new, she’s been living day to day since Elias left her 3 years ago, suddenly and unexpectedly, I may add. Scarred literally from an accident, she has believed she isn’t beautiful. She has lived her life only to the point to where she can be alive the next day. She hasn’t enjoyed life or truly lived it.

This all changes when she meets a stranger, Catcher. She slowly learns to trust, which she hasn’t done since Elias. Her life is coming to life, as the dead are striving to infect and destroy. The dead are innumerable and with no hope in the local security, Annah is going to learn how to experience life and leave behind the one need to survive in exchange for the desire to live.

This book has similarities to the other books, but the plot is interesting and different than the other books. I found Annah less annoying than her sister, which was nice, because she drove me nuts in the last book. There is a similar theme, the learning to enjoy life and take risks to live and love. This is the final book in the series and I felt that the ending was very satisfying.

The Dark and Hollow Places was full of action, romance, and survival. Each book in this series has a different protagonist, but Annah was by far the best one. Also, the love interest, Catcher, was a very likeable character. The biggest thing I disliked about this series was the zombies. From the practice sense of things when the author went into the technicality of stating that the zombies had an infection, but they could never die was just frustrating to me. I realize that this isn’t a real story but if you are going to try to sound realistic then you should follow it through. This probably won’t bother most people as much as it bothered me, but it did effect how much I liked the story. Overall, I thought that this was a good series and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a good zombie book.

Notable Scene:

“I’m standing there, silent and lost, when I hear what sounds like cheering. It seems so out of place that I find myself following the noise, wondering what there is to clap about when the world seems to be pulling itself apart around us.”

FTC Advisory: Delacorte Books for Young Readers/Random House provided me with a copy of The Dark and Hollow Places. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Mar 15, 2014 |
It was an ok ending to an ok series. The characters never really got any more interesting, they all did what you expected them to do, and it eneded the way you would expect as well. ( )
  ScoutJ | Dec 4, 2013 |
To be honest, this is where the series lost me. Compared to the other two books this one was easily the weakest of the lot. That’s why the fact that it scores better than the other two on GoodReads shocks me. I don’t know why I didn’t like it so much. The plot was fine. The characters were fine. There were some moments of absolute action, terror, and fascination just like the others. Some of the things that happened obviously had to happen so they were predictable. We had to meet these characters, we had to see the city that had been alluded to in the first two books.

If you haven’t read the first two, you might want to avoid this book’s review, actually. Here there be spoilers…

Anyway. You’ve been warned.

Unlike the Dead-Tossed Waves, the Dark and Hollow Places is a direct sequel to the preceding book. Catcher, Elias, and Gabry go to the Dark City to find Annah – Gabry’s twin sister who Elias had left behin while he went out into the world to search for Gabry. They had left her behind when exploring the forest walkways as children and been unable to find her or return home when they were cut off by the unconsecrated. It should be some grand reunion… but it’s anything but. Not long after they arrive Catcher’s immunity is discovered and the military takes Elias, Gabry, and Annah hostage on a militarized island that serves as their headquarters. They threaten to kill the others if he does not do what they want and run missions for them.

It’s Annah who tells this story and she’s a much different narrator than Mary or Gabry. She’s hardened and in a lot of ways very guilt ridden. She loves Elias (and so does her sister) and when reunited with Gabry she has to wonder if she can ever truly love this new person the way she did that twin sister she abandoned so long ago. Plus she starts to have a thing for Catcher… If there is one thing we can rely on in this series is that there will be a love triangle or square. And that’s a bit distracting. And a little annoying. It comes on really heavy, too, in this book. Not any heavier than in the others but since Annah is such a different character it seems a bit off. I do appreciate her way of thinking, though, and I liked Annah’s response to this dystopian world she lives in.

Honestly, I don’t have much to say about this book. It was certainly interesting to have the dynamic switch to having the humans be the bad guys. The other two books were very much humanity versus the unconsecrated. In this one, though, it’s our band of survivors versus these militia/military types. They are safe from the undead, sure. But at what cost? It’s a nice departure from the other two books and I appreciate that it wasn’t just teenagers running through the woods all over again. ( )
  samaside | Sep 29, 2013 |
Yes, that's right, four stars! Trust me, no one is more surprised than I am. The first two books caused me epic rage. I'm talking a couple of notches off Twilight Saga rage. I was really torn on even giving this book a chance, but I was so confused by the summary I figured I'd read it just to see what happens.

The writing was so much better in this book. Ryan's prose was lovely and has matured from the first two. There were a few times where the story got bogged down in very slow scenes where the point dragged on or where Annah spent a lot of time contemplating something that was resolved for the readers in Book Two.

Annah was so much better than Gabry and Mary. The latter two were just awful, but I really felt a lot for Annah. Even though I had a hard time reminding myself she was only five when she so harshly left her sister in the forest (which I think comes from the fact that her and Elias's actions seemed far more mature than a seven and five-year-old should have been capable of – I really wish there was a better back story to their separation), she still ended up being a very sympathetic character. I was really able to identify with her at a lot of points. She wasn't without her moments of stupidity, but they never rose to the level of Mary and Gabry's general stupidity.

I was definitely not a fan of Elias after this book. He's obtuse, completely unreliable, and I'm left wondering how much of the truth he told in Book Two. However, Catcher fully redeemed himself after he pulled an Edward Cullen in Book Two. He's amazing in this book and I may or may not have swooned at certain points.

There were great nail-biting moments of suspense. Even when I clearly knew what was coming, the writing still kept me on edge.

Overall, this was a good read. I just wish there was a way for people to skip over the first two books and only read this one. ( )
  OstensiblyA1 | Sep 20, 2013 |

Carrie Ryanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ryan, AllysonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my sisters, Jenny & Chris -
We'll have each other, always.
This city used to be something once.

There are many things that Annah would like to forget: the look on her sister's face before Annah left her behind in the Forest of Hands and Teeth, her first glimpse of the Horde as they swarmed the Dark City, the sear of the barbed wire that would scar her for life. But most of all, Annah would like to forget the morning Elias left her for the Recruiters.
Annah's world stopped that day, and she's been waiting for Elias to come home ever since. Somehow, without him, her life doesn't feel much different than the dead that roam the wasted city around her. Until she meets Catcher, and everything feels alive again.
But Catcher has his own secrets. Dark, terrifying truths that link him to a past Annah has longed to forget, and to a future too deadly to consider. And now it's up to Annah: can she continue to live in a world covered in the blood of the living? Or is death the only escape from the Return's destruction?

Alone and listening to the moaning of the Dark City dying around her, Annah wants to find her way back home, to her sister and family and their village in the Forest of Hands and Teeth.

345 wanted2 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,456,113 books! | Top bar: Always visible