The Dark and Hollow Places by Carrie Ryan

The Dark and Hollow Places

by Carrie Ryan

Series: The Forest of Hands and Teeth (3)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (hermionewannabe)
    hermionewannabe: It is a controlled society like the Forest of Hands and Teeth books. If you like dystopian books, i highly recommend "The Hunger Games".

I don't think this one is quite as good as the other two, but a nice wrap up. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
The saving grace of this series for me. The main character of this story is much easier to connect to than the previous two. I was pretty traumatized by the heaviness of the first two books, but I found this one to be very healing and much more hopeful. ( )
  Tigerlily12 | Jul 9, 2014 |
Now I have to say - this book redeems everything that was wrong with the other two. When I started the series, while I did enjoy them and the stories, I didn't love them. This book I loved. Annah was radtastic and she was a powerhouse of a young woman.

Pretty much her and Catcher made these stories worth reading and they help restore any faith in love an adult might have lost in their life. So read it and enjoy. ( )
  Pabkins | Jun 24, 2014 |
I gave the first book in this series like -80 stars. I hated it. I was so mad at it (mainly the stoopid main character) by the end that I was sure I would never read the follow up. But I did. And I liked it! What?!? I liked it a lot! Obviously I was shocked.

The third and final book is good. Ryan has actual points that she makes about life and whatnot. I like that the series seems purpose-driven. Perhaps slightly preachy at times, but at least there is meaning. The characters are heavy-hearted and troubled. They have real issues to work out, much more than which college to go to or even how to deal with being unpopular. Both of which are legit issues, but Ryan's characters are dealing in life and death here. Abandonment and sacrifice and human nature, for goodness sake! The issues are beefy and the characters have to scour their souls for answers to unanswerable questions. I love it for that. But, all in all, I don't like it more than the second book, equally maybe, but not more, which is why I am only giving it 3 stars. With the soaring leap in my opinion of the 1st to the 2nd book, I was probably expecting too much from the 3rd book. I was expecting to have my mind blown. Sadly, my mind is still fully intact and I only liked this book.

What kept my mind from being blown? Well, a dragging plot and egregiously copious overuse of very detailed description, down to the last minutia of any person, or non-person, movement at all in anything that happened in the book whatsoever. Hmmmmm... Usually description and detail are super great. It builds worlds and makes characters seem real. But sometimes, the descriptions and details become laborious. At times I felt like I was slogging like an Unconsecrated through extraneous sentences, paragraphs, and even whole pages. I suppose this won't be a problem for some people. I like a bit more dialogue with my description. Keeps things snappy. But I am impatient and others are not :)

I suspect I will find myself reading more of Carrie Ryan. I just hope I'm not always hoping for better balance between dialogue and description. I will just keep reminding myself that she has worthwhile things to tell me. Which she does, and I appreciate that.
  Kanic | Apr 9, 2014 |
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Full of action, romance, and zombies. Satisfying ending to a well done and entertaining series.

Opening Sentence: This city used to be something once.

The Review:

Annah’s story begins with her struggles to survive. This isn’t new, she’s been living day to day since Elias left her 3 years ago, suddenly and unexpectedly, I may add. Scarred literally from an accident, she has believed she isn’t beautiful. She has lived her life only to the point to where she can be alive the next day. She hasn’t enjoyed life or truly lived it.

This all changes when she meets a stranger, Catcher. She slowly learns to trust, which she hasn’t done since Elias. Her life is coming to life, as the dead are striving to infect and destroy. The dead are innumerable and with no hope in the local security, Annah is going to learn how to experience life and leave behind the one need to survive in exchange for the desire to live.

This book has similarities to the other books, but the plot is interesting and different than the other books. I found Annah less annoying than her sister, which was nice, because she drove me nuts in the last book. There is a similar theme, the learning to enjoy life and take risks to live and love. This is the final book in the series and I felt that the ending was very satisfying.

The Dark and Hollow Places was full of action, romance, and survival. Each book in this series has a different protagonist, but Annah was by far the best one. Also, the love interest, Catcher, was a very likeable character. The biggest thing I disliked about this series was the zombies. From the practice sense of things when the author went into the technicality of stating that the zombies had an infection, but they could never die was just frustrating to me. I realize that this isn’t a real story but if you are going to try to sound realistic then you should follow it through. This probably won’t bother most people as much as it bothered me, but it did effect how much I liked the story. Overall, I thought that this was a good series and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a good zombie book.

Notable Scene:

“I’m standing there, silent and lost, when I hear what sounds like cheering. It seems so out of place that I find myself following the noise, wondering what there is to clap about when the world seems to be pulling itself apart around us.”

FTC Advisory: Delacorte Books for Young Readers/Random House provided me with a copy of The Dark and Hollow Places. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Mar 15, 2014 |

Carrie Ryanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ryan, AllysonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my sisters, Jenny & Chris -
We'll have each other, always.
This city used to be something once.

There are many things that Annah would like to forget: the look on her sister's face before Annah left her behind in the Forest of Hands and Teeth, her first glimpse of the Horde as they swarmed the Dark City, the sear of the barbed wire that would scar her for life. But most of all, Annah would like to forget the morning Elias left her for the Recruiters.
Annah's world stopped that day, and she's been waiting for Elias to come home ever since. Somehow, without him, her life doesn't feel much different than the dead that roam the wasted city around her. Until she meets Catcher, and everything feels alive again.
But Catcher has his own secrets. Dark, terrifying truths that link him to a past Annah has longed to forget, and to a future too deadly to consider. And now it's up to Annah: can she continue to live in a world covered in the blood of the living? Or is death the only escape from the Return's destruction?

Alone and listening to the moaning of the Dark City dying around her, Annah wants to find her way back home, to her sister and family and their village in the Forest of Hands and Teeth.

345 wanted2 pay4 pay

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,710,489 books! | Top bar: Always visible