I, Pierre Seel, Deported Homosexual: A…

I, Pierre Seel, Deported Homosexual: A Memoir of Nazi Terror (1994)

by Pierre Seel

Other authors: Jean Le Bitoux (Author)

Chapter 1. Introduction Chapter 2. General Geology Chapter 3. Climate Inferred from Geology and Archaeology Chapter 4. Environmental Data for Specific Sites within the Dead Sea Region Chapter 5. Coordination of Biblical and Scientific Information Chapter 6. Sodom and Gomorrah Event Chapter 7. Synopsis… (more)
    Les oubliés de la mémoire by Jean Le Bitoux (Chassegnouf)
    Chassegnouf: Même thématique (la déportation homosexuelle) et même auteur (Jean Le Bitoux)

Rating: 4* of five

The Book Report: At the age of seventeen, in the arms of a thief, Pierre Seel felt his watch sliding off his wrist. So begins the astonishing chain of events that led to the Schirmeck-Vorbruch concentration camp, where Seel suffered unspeakable horrors for the sole "crime" of being a homosexual.The story of survival in the camps has been told many times, but Seel's is one of the only firsthand accounts of the Nazi roundup and deportation of homosexuals. For nearly forty years he kept his experiences -- including torture, humiliation, and witnessing the vicious murder of his lover at the hands of the Nazis -- a secret in order to cover up his homosexuality. He found a wife through a personal ad, married, and raised three children. "The Liberation", he writes, "was for others". Finally, haunted by his experiences and by the silence of others, he decided to bear witness to an aspect of the Holocaust rarely seen. As he noted, "If I do not speak, I will become the accomplice of my torturers". The result is a terrifying and heartbreaking memoir, extraordinary for its frankness and courage.

My Review: Horrible what hate does to people, makes them bestial and vicious and base. Seel saw all of that, from his entry into the list of homosexuals kept by police to his arrest and deportation. Gay people in concentration camps were not accepted and cared for as were other prisoners, they were victimized by the others as well as the guards.

What is it that you hate so much, straight people? Christian, Jewish, Muslim people? What in your souls says "I hate" so loudly that even your big bully imaginary friend hates too?

Well, anyway, after an amazing wartime changeup and a forced conversion to straightness in the 1950s, Seel finally came to peace with himself in 1981 and, in 1994, finally wrote down the painful facts of his past.

It's not easy to read, but I wish I could make every religious person and every anti-gay bigot read it. I can't, so there's no point in going on about it. If something in you thinks that it's okay to say "sure fine be *that way* but ewww don't talk about it" then you're the reason books like this are necessary. ( )
2 vote richardderus | Mar 25, 2013 |
added by gsc55 | editReviews by Amos Lassen (Jul 4, 2014)

Seel, PierreAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Le Bitoux, JeanAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

On a fateful day in May 1941, in Nazi-occupied Strasbourg, seventeen-year- old Pierre Seel was summoned by the Gestapo. This was the beginning of his journey through the horrors of a concentration camp.For nearly forty years, Seel kept this secret in order to hide his homosexuality. Eventually he decided to speak out, bearing witness to an aspect of the Holocaust rarely seen. This edition, with a new foreword from gay-literature historian Gregory Woods, is an extraordinary firsthand account of the Nazi roundup and the deportation of homosexuals. [Basic Books]

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,743,637 books! | Top bar: Always visible