Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance:…

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry into Values (P.S.) (original 1974; edition 2008)

by Robert M. Pirsig

Member:bradstreet2001
Title:Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry into Values (P.S.)
Authors:Robert M. Pirsig
Info:Harper Perennial Modern Classics (2008), Paperback, 448 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Philosophy, mindfulness

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert M. Pirsig (1974)

Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry Into the Value of Work by Matthew B. Crawford (prehensel)
    My Mercedes is Not for Sale: From Amsterdam to Ouagadougou...An Auto-Misadventure Across the Sahara by Jeroen van Bergeijk (gonzobrarian)
    gonzobrarian: an inquiry into travel, adventure, and meaning
    A Fraction of the Whole by Steve Toltz (jeff.s.thomson)
    Stranger in a Strange Land (uncut edition) by Robert A. Heinlein (emf1123)
    emf1123: If you're in your late teens, reading both of these books back to back (stranger in a strange land, zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance) is a good quality mindfuck. I doubt that either have the same influence as one ages, though.

English (143)  Italian (5)  Finnish (4)  Dutch (4)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  French (2)  Danish (1)  All languages (161)
He's not very nice to his son and he's kind of a snotty snot face. His thoughts aren't completely formed and don't really impress me. But that's just me. There are some worthwhile things. But I just can't read the whole book. Sorry. ( )
  CassandraT | Oct 10, 2014 |
Goes hand in hand with my current disposition in life.. Life on the road, vagabonding with your thoughts for company, and all done away with the excess and the distractions.

An investigation into what Quality is. What does it mean to care about what you do?

Also an autobiographical rant by a man who was shut down by the system for thinking his own unconventional ideas. It's a fine line between genius and crazy, isn't it?

waelrammo | Sep 14, 2014 |
On re-reading I had some quarrels with the author's philosophical stance, if you want to call it that. I don’t think his “new” thought system is as great as he thought it was. Socially, it’s really reducible to a garden variety libertarianism. And the happy ending, where both he and his son escape madness through a movie-like “single moment of transformation” rings hollow to me. But that’s why it was a best seller, I guess.

The thinking about attention and focus is all valid, though, as is looking for the usefulness, while limited, of rationality. Not rationalism, however. That is irredeemable, in the same way (perhaps for the same reason) that capitalism is. We Westerners took one level of consciousness, elevated it above all the rest, then threw out any insights that the other levels provided. And look at the social and ecological disaster we’ve got as a result. ( )
  CSRodgers | Aug 11, 2014 |
I was supposed to read this in high school and hated it then. I tried reading it again some years ago, and I still hated it just as much. ( )
  digitalmaven | Jul 20, 2014 |
I've known about this book for years and am just now getting around to reading it...well actually listening to it as I am on a motorcycle trip across the United States. I have been a avid reader of philosophy all my life having first learned continental philosophy under Joseph Kockelmans at Penn State in the 70s - his specialities where Husserl and Heidegger. I took as many of his classes as I could and even crashed his graduate seminars. That he put up with my relatively uninformed questions is a tribute to what a teacher is supposed to be - a concept the author also adumbrates.

It is a well written book and read well in the Audible edition. It kept me interested, not so much for the author's ideas but as an occassion to think about the issues the author raises. The author assumes a Cartesian/Kantian metaphysics and a 19th century view of science which is a view that was woefully outdated even when the book was originally published but probably reflects the intended audience's level of literacy in such matters at that time as well as the author's limited reading in philosophy - a point he makes himself. His expoure to philosophy seems to be mainly ancient Greek philosophy and a smattering of analytic philosophy and I got the feeling this came from a reading of Betrand Russell's History of Philosophy ( a vulgar piece of work in my opinion). However, this does not detract from the story. Essentially it is a story of a man who struggled with what it all means and eventually went insane and was subjected to 28 electroschock sessions which erased his prior personality. The story, while musing on philosophical issues, recounts the recovery of his lost personality and his relationship with his son who apparently may also be experiencing a mental disorder. If you like philosophy, its worth reading. Even if you are philosophically literate ...have read all the canonical texts as I have...I think you would still enjoy the book.

Some of his ideas are similar to those of early Heidegger so it would be interesting to see what kind of book he would have written had he actually been exposed to Heidegger. An engagement with Capitalism and its corrosive undermining of the value he is interested in would have been interesting as well. He is clearly a smart guy ( he claims his old self had a 170 IQ which places him above 99.9% of the rest of humanity ) who struggled with constructing a meaningful philosophy of life - intuitively sensing that much of philosophy has lost track of what it really is - a secular replacement for religion. As such, it deals with the issues of life which is why he was interested in early, ie pre-Platonic philosophy.

One thing I found humerous is how much motorcycle technology has changed. He fussed and farted, changed the oil, tightened the chain and worried about its performance on his trip. I'm riding a 160 horsepower 4-cylinder motorcycle that will do over 150mph without much effort and now has over 80,000 miles on it. It has a drive shaft...of course BMW bikes have had that since the 1920s. I haven't had any problems with it and am using synthetic oil and won't need to change the oil until long after I return from this trip. You can see the trusty steed in my LT gallery. ( )
1 vote PedrBran | Jun 24, 2014 |
One is tempted to call the book a psychomelodrama, for Pirsig's intentions are as extravagant as his themes. The attempt to triumph over madness, suicide, death in the self, of his son, for our world, by means of the patient exploration of ideas and emotions is certainly an extravagant ambition. That he succeeds in finding a plausible catharsis through such an enterprise seems to me sufficient reward for the author's perseverance, and ample testimony to his honesty and courage.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Edward Abbey (pay site) (Mar 30, 1975)

Whatever it's true philosophical worth, it is intellectual entertainment of the highest order.

And what is good, Phaedrus,

And what is not good -

Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?
for my family
Aan mijn familie
I can see by my watch, without taking my hand from the left grip of the cycle, that it is eight-thirty in the morning.
You want to know how to paint a perfect painting? It's easy. Make yourself perfect and then just paint naturally.
Live in the future, then build what's missing.
Acclaimed as one of the most exciting books in the history of American letters, this modern epic became an instant bestseller upon publication in 1974, transforming a generation and continuing to inspire millions. This 25th Anniversary Quill Edition features a new introduction by the author; important typographical changes; and a Reader's Guide that includes discussion topics, an interview with the author, and letters and documents detailing how this extraordinary book came to be. A narration of a summer motorcycle trip undertaken by a father and his son, the book becomes a personal and philosophical odyssey into fundamental questions of how to live. The narrator's relationship with his son leads to a powerful self-reckoning; the craft of motorcycle maintenance leads to an austerely beautiful process for reconciling science, religion, and humanism. Resonant with the confusions of existence, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance is a touching and transcendent book of life.

In his now classic Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, Robert Pirsig brings us a literary chautauqua, a novel that is meant to both entertain and edify. It scores high on both counts. Phaedrus, our narrator, takes a present-tense cross-country motorcycle trip with his son during which the maintenance of the motorcycle becomes an illustration of how we can unify the cold, rational realm of technology with the warm, imaginative realm of artistry. As in Zen, the trick is to become one with the activity, to engage in it fully, to see and appreciate all details--be it hiking in the woods, penning an essay, or tightening the chain on a motorcycle. In his autobiographical first novel, Pirsig wrestles both with the ghost of his past and with the most important philosophical questions of the 20th century--why has technology alienated us from our world? what are the limits of rational analysis? if we can't define the good, how can we live it? Unfortunately, while exploring the defects of our philosophical heritage from Socrates and the Sophists to Hume and Kant, Pirsig inexplicably stops at the middle of the 19th century. With the exception of Poincaré, he ignores the more recent philosophers who have tackled his most urgent questions, thinkers such as Peirce, Nietzsche (to whom Phaedrus bears a passing resemblance), Heidegger, Whitehead, Dewey, Sartre, Wittgenstein, and Kuhn. In the end, the narrator's claims to originality turn out to be overstated, his reasoning questionable, and his understanding of the history of Western thought sketchy. His solution to a synthesis of the rational and creative by elevating Quality to a metaphysical level simply repeats the mistakes of the premodern philosophers. But in contrast to most other philosophers, Pirsig writes a compelling story. And he is a true innovator in his attempt to popularize a reconciliation of Eastern mindfulness and nonrationalism with Western subject/object dualism. The magic of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance turns out to lie not in the answers it gives, but in the questions it raises and the way it raises them. Like a cross between The Razor's Edge and Sophie's World, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance takes us into "the high country of the mind" and opens our eyes to vistas of possibility. --Brian Bruya

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060589469, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:47 -0400)

The novel, published in 1974, uses a long motorcycle trip to frame a prolonged exploration of the world of ideas, about life and how best to live it. It references perspectives from Western and Eastern Civilizations as it explores the central question of the how to pursue technology so that human life is enriched rather than degraded. Narrated in the first person, it incorporates a parallel presentation of trip details and an ongoing retrospective concerning dramatic events from the Narrator's past, creating rich symbolism and including numerous analogies reinforcing the overall theme of coming to terms with the mysteries of why we exist and how best to live.… (more)

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,465,842 books! | Top bar: Always visible