The book of spells : a novel by Kate Brian

The book of spells : a novel (edition 2010)

by Kate Brian

76None157,385 (3.42)None
Member:TheBigNerd
Title:The book of spells : a novel
Authors:Kate Brian
Info:New York : Simon & Schuster BFYR, c2010.
Collections:Read, Your library
Rating:***

The Book of Spells by Kate Brian

As a young adult prequel, it wasn't a bad read. I enjoyed the quick read but it was nothing special in my opinion. I am however curious to see what sorts of drama this magic filled boarding school has in store for the rest of the series. ( )
  TheBigNerd | Nov 21, 2012 |
The Book of Spells – A Private Prequel by Kate Brian, a New York Times bestselling author, is the prequel to the popular Private series.

Our story is set at the Billings School for Girls, where young ladies learn to behave properly with the intention of landing a suitable husband. The year is 1915. Free-thinking Eliza Williams is sent to Billings after the success of her older sister, May. Eliza makes new friends (despite being overshadowed by perfect May) and though she didn’t intend to, meets a potential husband. Then Eliza and her close friends discover several dusty books; books containing magic spells, that turn the girls into witches. Eliza and her friends have enormous amounts of fun trying out their new powers. Until, that is, disaster strikes and they are forced to make a terrible choice.

My teenage self would have LOVED this book, and probably the series. My adult self, however, finds the story and writing to be a little too juvenile. Though it was lots of fun to read, and I’m considering reading the entire series, the storyline is a little clichéd.
For ages 12-17 ( )
  BolstlerJ | Oct 12, 2011 |
This book was a little dragging in parts but the end was creepy. ( )
  butterflybaby | Jun 25, 2011 |
This book is about a few girls in an all girls school who find witch craft books and become obsessed with the books....This book kept me completely interested from start to finish! ( )
  anjileyes2001 | Apr 21, 2011 |

Explains the origins of the Billings girls and how they became witches, beginning with the arrival of sixteen-year-old Elizabeth Williams at the Billings School for Girls in September, 1915.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,466,584 books! | Top bar: Always visible