A Family of Readers: The Book Lover's…

A Family of Readers: The Book Lover's Guide to Children's and…

by Roger Sutton

Recently added byknits4feet, private library, joseph.alesandro, kgrance, rp297, ASHLEYSHAPIRO, Diana_Das, Amy_Gong

After reading Jim Trelease' "The Read Aloud Handbook" and a series of other more inferior books about reading to children with book recommendations, I stopped at getting similar books since I think one inspirational/informative book is enough in this area. However, this book proved me wrong. One of the author, Roger Sutton, has been the editor of the magazine "Hornbook" for many years, and both the Hornbook and he are well known by their seriousness in picking the reviewing Children's publications and their strictness in giving stars.

The book read like a triple feature Hornbook magazine. Everything I like about the magazine is in the book. There are famous children's authors, writing about different topics/genres and their point of views in things relating to Children's literature. I always love reading "other" writings from authors, which make me understand them more. There is a chapter on every genre, from book for babies all the way to Young Adult Fiction. The book recommendations are great, including a few new ones that were not included in The Read Aloud Handbook. Since Mr. Trelease hasn't been updating his famous book, I might have to give this one to new parents from now on.... ( )
  lovestampmom | Aug 8, 2013 |
Finding books to enjoy with your kids is hard. Finding books that they would enjoy reading themselves is harder.

I enjoyed the first few chapters and requested several picture books and early readers we missed from the library. I didn't finish, but plan to bring this back in a couple of months to look for more gems we missed for the upper grade-school set to offer to my kids

Julie_loves_to_read | Mar 31, 2013 |
This great compendium from the editor of The Horn Book hovers right on the line of amazing. I only wish that it had included some essays about "how do you meet the needs and literature/non-fiction desires of young kids who have attention spans, comprehension, recall, and sheer love of books far beyond their chronological age." For me, I loved the sections on fantasy, poetry, and "gendered" reading. And the memories of Z screaming Moo, Baa, La, La, La page by page when he was one. ( )
  beckydj | Mar 31, 2013 |
This was an assigned textbook for Materials for Children in the Spring of 2011. Written by the editors of the Horn Book magazine, it describes different genres of children's literature. Great reference material for writing. ( )
  newanddifferent | Apr 9, 2011 |
I have read about this book in a number of places and am hopeful that I can fill it with post-its and earmarks in 2011.
  TheReadingTub | Jan 27, 2011 |

Two of the most trusted reviewers in the field join with top authors, illustrators, and critics in a definitive guide to choosing books for children—and nurturing their love of reading.

A FAMILY OF READERS is the definitive resource for parents interested in enriching the reading lives of their children. It’s divided into four sections:

1. Reading to Them:
Choosing and sharing board books and picture books with babies and very young children.
2. Reading with Them:
Launching the new reader with easy readers and chapter books.
3. Reading on Their Own:
Exploring what children read—and how they read—by genre and gender.
4. Leaving Them Alone:
Respecting the reading privacy of the young adult.

Roger Sutton knows how and why children read. He must, as the editor in chief of THE HORN BOOK, which since 1924 has been America’s best source for reviews of books for young readers. But for many parents, selecting books for their children can make them feel lost. Now, in this essential resource, Roger Sutton and Martha V. Parravano, executive editor at the magazine, offer thoughtful essays that consider how books are read to (and then by) young people. They invite such leading authors and artists as Maurice Sendak, Katherine Paterson, Margaret Mahy, and Jon Scieszka, as well as a selection of top critics, to add their voices about the genres they know best. The result is an indispensable readers’ companion to everything from wordless board books to the most complex and daring young adult novels.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:16 -0400)

Two of the most trusted reviewers in the field join with top authors, illustrators, and critics in the definitive guide to choosing books for children and young adults--and nurturing their love of reading.

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,550,365 books! | Top bar: Always visible