Boyfriends, Burritos & an Ocean of Trouble…

Boyfriends, Burritos & an Ocean of Trouble (Real Life)

by Nancy Rue

This book was really a good book. Makes u stop and think and even gives a bit of suspense in te mix. ( )
  Bettyb30 | Jun 24, 2013 |
Nancy Rue's YA books are like a breath of fresh air in Christian young adult fiction. While there are several good CF YA authors already in place, her stories are not just fluff and romance. She takes serious subjects and puts it in a teen's perspective with situations and answering questions that no one else pays attention to.

This book does not shy away from realistic issues that teens face. I'm sure that there are probably some parents who will think that this book is too mature for their teens and while it is their right, I believe that learning about how to handle this kind of situation will benefit teens. Bryn has found herself in an abusive relationship with almost no one to turn to. Many teen girls are either in this kind of relationship currently or have had abusive boyfriend in the past but never told a single person. The story shows the helplessness, fear and shame that comes with being in this situation. The behavior that she has to put up with is unbearable and even though I don't condone physical abuse from both sides, I really wanted this guy to feel the same pain and agony that he put on Bryn.However, there is some hope for Bryn as she finds this in her new relationship with her grandmother, the new guy she meets, and surfing.

I was particularly excited that parts of the book took place in my hometown area of Virginia Beach. I love seeing places I know show up in books so it was a very nice surprise and Rue portrayed our area very nicely. And kudos for mentioning burritos!

Some might complain that this book is preachy due to the Christian overtones found in the overall story and in the book that Bryn finds. However, I am going to have to disagree with this. Yes, I read a lot of Christian books and am a practicing member of the faith. BUT for a young adult fiction book, this story features so much more than just religion. Bryn is obviously going through A LOT of emotions and is involved in a dangerous situation with no one to turn to and almost no help in sight. It's her choice to turn to her faith to put her trust in and the way that Rue handles it is not at all in your face or proselytizing type of way. Pretty much all I can say is a quote from 12 step programs: "Take what you like and leave the rest." Because what Rue says in this book is something that a lot of teen girls need to hear but no one ever tells them and you can choose what you want out of this book. HIGHLY recommended. ( )
  mrsjason | Jun 1, 2011 |
Unlike other Christian fiction books I’ve read, this one has a heavy dose of Jesus. Not being Christian, I did find it a little preachy and skipped some pages. For those of you who do enjoy that element in Christian fiction, this is the book for you. All others, try it on for size — but it’s not for everyone. ... please read the full review at: http://tipsyreader.com/books/reviews/book-review-boyfriends-burritos-trouble/ ( )
  tipsyreader | Mar 18, 2011 |
Do you remember the "ABC After School Special"? It was a program that dealt with real life situations that no one talked about. This book reminds me of that series. "Boyfriends, Burritos & an Ocean of Trouble" deals with teen relationship abuse - something that most of us don't even think about, let alone consider.

The main character, 15 year old Bryn O'Connor, dates her "dream guy" who ends up being the boyfriend from a nightmare. He's controlling and abusive but even worse, popular. When it comes to light Bryn is being abused by him, no one believes her and she walks from one nightmare into another.

This is a wonderful book that I would highly recommend giving to every teenage girl. Bryn is a wonderful role model, going from meek to a strong character. She learns about love, trust and taking risks, both in her physical and spiritual life.

If there is one book your teen needs to read this summer, this is the one!! It's not only well written and entertaining, but really has a powerful message about relationship abuse. ( )
  tweezle | Jul 7, 2010 |
I didn't wish the car accident had killed me.

Secrets? Bryn O'Connor is good at keeping secrets. But when a car accident reveals her boyfriend's abusive behavior, the truth is unleashed. And it starts a tidal wave of trouble in Bryn's life: enemies who were once friends, a restraining order violation, and her world unraveled. If that weren't enough, her grandmother Mim arrives, attempting Mexican cuisine and insisting that Bryn try surfing. It's all too much! Even Bryn's habit of daydreaming won't offer an escape this time. But could a mysterious book she found hold the secret to riding a tsunami like her life?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:30 -0400)

As she struggles to recover from the fallout of boyfriend Preston's abuse, fifteen-year-old Bryn receives help from her surfer grandmother and an unusual book.

1 avail.2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,349,629 books! | Top bar: Always visible