Getting Over Mr Right by Chrissie Manby

Getting Over Mr Right (edition 2010)

by Chrissie Manby

Rating:***
Tags:2012

Getting Over Mr. Right by Chrissie Manby

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book was just ok. It was a fun, light read, but I wanted to strangle the main character many times. Her obsession with her ex is just unrealistic. I imagine that Chrissie Manby was dumped at some point and wrote this book as a way to explore her extreme feelings without actually have to engage in any of these behaviors, living vicariously through her protagonist. ( )
  jolrmama | Mar 29, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was a fun book with plenty of humor. Most people have been dumped at some point in their lives and can identify with what Ashleigh is going through. How awful to find out on Facebook that your two year romance is over! What a schmuck! The story is well written and easy to read. The characters are interesting but eventually grow annoying. At first I was sympathetic to Ashleigh's pain, as were her family and friends. As time went by and she became obsessed with Michael, her lost love, I wanted her to snap out of it. I realize that was the intent and her downward spiral did provide some comedy and entertaining moments but for me it lasted too long. I did like the later progression and the satisfying ending. All in all it was worth the read and I do look forward to more from this author.

Thank you to LibraryThing Early Reviewers for a copy of this book to review. ( )
  Wrighty | Feb 17, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I did enjoy this book, at least at the beginning. The first person narrator Ashleigh is a likable character, although she is beyond extreme in the way she handles her breakup...she does things all of us have probably thought of doing-but would never do. The whole plot is fairly unbelieveable, particularly the evolution of Ashleigh from heartbroken lunatic to successful together "consultant" but it was engaging for the most part.

I did receive this book from Early Reviewers. ( )
  Bookbets50 | Dec 27, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Laughed my head off with this book. I just loved Chrissie Manby's style of writing that put us right inside the head of the spurned Ashleigh. Many of the things that our hero went through were admittedly absurd but that made them all the funnier.

My only problem with the story was the ending. Not that I'm against a happy ending, but when one goes from losing not only a boyfriend, but a job and a home only to suddenly become rich and have all worries banished, it's just too much. I'd settle for finding a new job and then being able to get a new flat. But the whole suddenly wealthy part is too easy. Sort of like, having the main character wake up at the end of the novel and have the entire thing be a dream! ( )
  lorimarie | Sep 28, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Loved the premise of this book and with my slightly warped sense of humor I found myself laughing at Ashliegh's patheticness. But I was laughing at the character and the over the top writing. I never cared for the character so it wasn't a story I could say I liked alot. A just barely three stars from me. ( )
1 vote icedream | Sep 21, 2012 |

Been dumped? Get mad. But not this mad.

Have you ever had your heart broken? How did you get over it?
If a pint of ice cream cheered you up and you were able to delete his number and start again then . . .
You’re a weirdo and this book is not for you.

But if you reacted with denial, begging, or a spot of casual witchcraft, then you’ve come to the right place. This is one woman’s journey from love to lunacy and back again. If you ever recall past heartbreaks with acute embarrassment and an urge to go into hiding, this will make you feel better. Sure, you may have sent his new girlfriend a bunch of dead roses, but did you spend a grand on psychic hot-lines and a voodoo curse?

"How far would you go to get revenge on an ex? Would you.... * Send dead roses to his new girlfriend? * Spend a thousand dollars on a psychic hotline? * Try to conjure up a voodoo curse? If any of those ring a bell (and even if they don't), you'll love Ashleigh Prince, the charmingly hilarious heroine of Chrissie Manby's Getting Over Mr. Right. Ashleigh doesn't think she's asking too much-- she just wants a nice, smart, funny boyfriend with a decent job who happens to love her too. When she meets Michael Parker, she finally thinks she's found it. But after two years together, she doesn't seem to be much closer to the dream. And then, out of nowhere, Michael dumps Ashleigh, in the meanest way possible: on Facebook. But, as the saying goes, hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. Ashleigh is devastated, and she vows to get Michael back by any means necessary. The irrepressibly likable Ashleigh will be every woman's new best friend. She's the heroine willing to go to all of the lengths of revenge that women everywhere have dreamed about, but never have been crazy enough to carry out. Getting Over Mr. Right is a rolicking read, and a fabulous summer beach read"-- Provided by publisher.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Getting Over Mr. Right by Chrissie Manby was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,982,680 books! | Top bar: Always visible