Getting Over Mr Right by Chrissie Manby

Getting Over Mr Right (edition 2010)

by Chrissie Manby

Title:Getting Over Mr Right
Authors:Chrissie Manby
Info:Hodder Ome (2010), Paperback
Collections:Read but unowned

Getting Over Mr. Right by Chrissie Manby

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was an easy, simple read, and was at least a little entertaining, but more than anything else I just couldn't really get past how sad and pathetic Ashleigh is. Really? It's a disgrace to our gender as women to let a man get to you this badly. And to let it affect everything else in your life? Ugh. But I do like the author, so I'm sure I'll read other books by her. Hopefully they'll be better than this one. ( )
  firefly7522 | Nov 6, 2015 |
I don't know why I finished this book. I didn't really like Ashleigh, so I don't know why I spent so much time 'with' her. She got dumped in a terrible way (who hasn't?) and couldn't let him go. She proposed (maybe he needs a grand gesture), she stalked him (online and in person) she paid a phone psychic for a voodoo charm, she lost her job, burned down her house and ruined her best friends wedding cake - all the while I was just hoping it would be over soon. Why did finish? It was only 200ish pages and I wanted to see Ashleigh learn something, but in the end I don't really think she did. ( )
  mlake | Apr 28, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book was just ok. It was a fun, light read, but I wanted to strangle the main character many times. Her obsession with her ex is just unrealistic. I imagine that Chrissie Manby was dumped at some point and wrote this book as a way to explore her extreme feelings without actually have to engage in any of these behaviors, living vicariously through her protagonist. ( )
  jolrmama | Mar 29, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was a fun book with plenty of humor. Most people have been dumped at some point in their lives and can identify with what Ashleigh is going through. How awful to find out on Facebook that your two year romance is over! What a schmuck! The story is well written and easy to read. The characters are interesting but eventually grow annoying. At first I was sympathetic to Ashleigh's pain, as were her family and friends. As time went by and she became obsessed with Michael, her lost love, I wanted her to snap out of it. I realize that was the intent and her downward spiral did provide some comedy and entertaining moments but for me it lasted too long. I did like the later progression and the satisfying ending. All in all it was worth the read and I do look forward to more from this author.

Thank you to LibraryThing Early Reviewers for a copy of this book to review. ( )
  Wrighty | Feb 17, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I did enjoy this book, at least at the beginning. The first person narrator Ashleigh is a likable character, although she is beyond extreme in the way she handles her breakup...she does things all of us have probably thought of doing-but would never do. The whole plot is fairly unbelieveable, particularly the evolution of Ashleigh from heartbroken lunatic to successful together "consultant" but it was engaging for the most part.

I did receive this book from Early Reviewers. ( )
  Bookbets50 | Dec 27, 2012 |

Been dumped? Get mad. But not this mad.

Have you ever had your heart broken? How did you get over it?
If a pint of ice cream cheered you up and you were able to delete his number and start again then . . .
You’re a weirdo and this book is not for you.

But if you reacted with denial, begging, or a spot of casual witchcraft, then you’ve come to the right place. This is one woman’s journey from love to lunacy and back again. If you ever recall past heartbreaks with acute embarrassment and an urge to go into hiding, this will make you feel better. Sure, you may have sent his new girlfriend a bunch of dead roses, but did you spend a grand on psychic hot-lines and a voodoo curse?

"How far would you go to get revenge on an ex? Would you.... * Send dead roses to his new girlfriend? * Spend a thousand dollars on a psychic hotline? * Try to conjure up a voodoo curse? If any of those ring a bell (and even if they don't), you'll love Ashleigh Prince, the charmingly hilarious heroine of Chrissie Manby's Getting Over Mr. Right. Ashleigh doesn't think she's asking too much-- she just wants a nice, smart, funny boyfriend with a decent job who happens to love her too. When she meets Michael Parker, she finally thinks she's found it. But after two years together, she doesn't seem to be much closer to the dream. And then, out of nowhere, Michael dumps Ashleigh, in the meanest way possible: on Facebook. But, as the saying goes, hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. Ashleigh is devastated, and she vows to get Michael back by any means necessary. The irrepressibly likable Ashleigh will be every woman's new best friend. She's the heroine willing to go to all of the lengths of revenge that women everywhere have dreamed about, but never have been crazy enough to carry out. Getting Over Mr. Right is a rolicking read, and a fabulous summer beach read"-- Provided by publisher.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Getting Over Mr. Right by Chrissie Manby was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,872,466 books! | Top bar: Always visible