Jane and the Madness of Lord Byron: Being A…

Jane and the Madness of Lord Byron: Being A Jane Austen Mystery (edition 2010)

by Stephanie Barron

Member:ss7562
Title:Jane and the Madness of Lord Byron: Being A Jane Austen Mystery
Authors:Stephanie Barron
Info:Bantam (2010), Paperback, 352 pages

Jane and the Madness of Lord Byron by Stephanie Barron

It's been awhile since I've read a book in this series and I found it so fun to be back in the world of Jane Austen, detective! The figure of Lord Byron as possible murderer and the rather immoral group of royalty visiting in Brighton makes for a particularly rich look at Regency England. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Mar 11, 2016 |
Again, I have enjoyed Stephanie Barron's Jane book. Even though I'm always aware that Jane did none of this, a part of me delights in experiencing Jane as a curious truth-seeker and imagining her relationships with friends and family members. She is, as is not surprising, a fun character, lively and intelligent, and Barron has done plenty of research on the era.
  Connie-D | Jan 17, 2016 |
I've read a few from this series and they've all been pretty slow going. I didn't enjoy this one very much---too many sexual references and I think Jane would have been much more of a lady than to talk about some of them.

On page 104, the author has Jane making a statement about Mansfield Park's Fanny that I totally don't think was in Austen's mind at all when writing it: "I cannot like my poor Fanny, tho' her scruples are such as must command respect; I believe I shall spare the darling Henry such a cross, and bestow the lady upon her cousin Edmund---who has earned her as penance, for his utter lack of humour." Fanny and Edmund's story is a true love story and I think Austen respected her characters much more than that. This was a stupid move on the author's part, in my opinion.

I have a couple more from this series on Mt. TBR, but I'm not in a big hurry to get to them any time soon. Austen's own novels are a thousand times more engrossing. ( )
  lostinavalonOR | Feb 25, 2014 |
Pretty enjoyable, but started to drag at some point for me. ( )
  alyson | Aug 29, 2013 |
To read this series is to be transported to Regency England, to the decadence of the Prince Regent that flourished alongside the strict morals professed by the proper folk. It's as if Stephanie Barron time-traveled to 1813 to absorb every nuance of custom and conversation, then hurried back to set it all down for us. The fascinating, bizarre cast includes the Prince Regent, of course (Prinny), Lord Byron and Lady Caroline Lamb. These last two dissolute characters, the author says, were actually tamed down in her version, and they're wild!
In its leisurely, elegant way, the novel brings us to the death of Jane Austen's beloved sister-in-law, Eliza, Comtesse de Feuillide and the wife of her brother, Henry. The dying woman seems to whisper something to Jane as she expires. Regret? Jane isn't quite sure what she heard. She is writing her third novel, “Mansfield Park” and plans to publish it anonymously, as she has her first two. Miss Austen is not as absorbed in it as she would like, though and agrees to accompany Henry to Brighton to dispel the gloom caused by Eliza's death.
On their way, Jane rescues a girl of fifteen, Catherine Twining, who has been abducted, bound and gagged, from the coach of Lord Byron! Byron, otherwise known as George Gordon, has just published his epic poem, Childe Harold's Pilgrimage and every woman in England swoons when he draws near. Every woman but Catherine with whom Byron is obsessed.
A most satisfactory trip through springtime madness on the coast of England in a by-gone time.

Reviewed by Kaye George, Author of “A Patchwork of Stories” for Suspense Magazine ( )
  suspensemag | Oct 12, 2011 |
Pictures of perfection as you know make me sick & wicked.

--Jane Austen in a letter to her niece, Fanny Knight, 23 March 1817
In Memory of Bupsh
1918-2010
25 April 1813
Sloane Street, London

Mr. Wordsworth or Sir Walter Scott should never struggle, as I do, to describe Spring in Chawton: the delight of slipping on one's bonnet, in the fresh, new hour before breakfast, and securing about one's shoulders the faded pelisse of jaconet that has served one so nobly for countless Aprils past; of walking alone into the morning, as birdsong and tugging breezes swell about one's head; of the catch in one's throat at the glimpse of a fox, hurrying home to her kits waiting curled and warm in the den beneath the Park's great oaks.

Not long after arriving at the English resort of Brighton, Jane finds herself caught up in the town's turmoil when the body of a beautiful young society miss is discovered, lifeless, in the bedchamber of none other than George Gordon--otherwise known as Lord Byron.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,424,819 books! | Top bar: Always visible