A Guide to Old English by Bruce Mitchell

A Guide to Old English (edition 2007)

by Bruce Mitchell, Fred C. Robinson

The seventh edition of this popular introduction to Old English language and literature retains the general structure and style of previous editions, but has been updated, and includes two new, much-requested texts: the Cotton Gnomes and Wulfstan's Sermo Lupia ad Anglos - and two new appendices: A List of Linguistic Terms Used in This Book and The Moods of Old English. Provides a range of helpful pedagogical tools: a map of Anglo-Saxon England, notes, a glossary, indexes to Part I, and a general introduction to Anglo-Saxon studies. Contains a special "How to Use this Guide" section, to aid both self-study and classroom use.… (more)
Member:TalecArashi
Title:A Guide to Old English
Authors:Bruce Mitchell
Other authors:Fred C. Robinson
Info:Wiley-Blackwell (2007), Edition: 7, Paperback, 448 pages
Collections:Your library, Location: my room, To read
Tags:English language

A Guide to Old English by Bruce Mitchell

A very strong grammar and methodical reference, with texts. Not necessarily the most accessible, as it assumes some linguistic theory. ( )
  cjrecordvt | Aug 13, 2016 |
Excellent. Used this as a course book at university, but I managed to teach myself quite a lot from it before I went. This is the book you need if you want to learn, or learn about, Old English. It gives you a good grounding in Old English grammar (starting simple) and includes some classic texts (again ordered with easier ones first, getting more difficult) and a very good OE to Modern English vocabulary. ( )
  asnackate | Sep 30, 2007 |
A pretty accessible book on the topic.
  Poemblaze | Jan 2, 2007 |

Bruce Mitchellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Robinson, Fred C.main authorall editionsconfirmed
'Everyman, I'll go with thee
  And be thy Guide.'
And if you don't learn Old English,
  Then Devil take your hide.
In Memoriam
DONOVAN F. MITCHELL
Foreword to the Fourth Edition
The Guide aims at making easier the initial steps in the learning of Old English.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,182,748 books! | Top bar: Always visible