The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde

The Last Dragonslayer

by Jasper Fforde

Series: Chronicles of Kazam (1)

Dark Lord of Derkholm by Diana Wynne Jones (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Similar style and filled with magic, strange beasts and wizards in an imaginary land.
    Enchanted Glass by Diana Wynne Jones (casvelyn)
    casvelyn: Similar tone and worldbuilding
    Which Witch? by Eva Ibbotson (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: YA but similar style of writing and content (about magic, wizards, witches etc.)
    Too Many Curses by A. Lee Martinez (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Similar humourous style and also about wizards and magic.
    Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo (4leschats)
    4leschats: Both books have an ordinary human girl who is orphaned but learns that she has great power to change the world.

English (114)  German (1)  All languages (115)
Jennifer Strange, who runs an employment agency for magicians, has her hands full when soothsayers are indicating the death of the world’s last dragon at the hands of The Last Dragonslayer, but no Dragonslayer is showing up. Jasper FForde is always great for some inventive and humorous writing and although this is technically YA, it is just as entertaining as his other works. Great characters, I am especially fond of the Quarkbeast. ( )
  -Eva- | Apr 3, 2019 |
It starts out well enough then Peters out in the middle and eventually winds up with a sort of unsatisfying poof and tah-dah at the end.

I don’t believe I’ll pursue more of Ffordes work. ( )
  Fiddleback_ | Dec 17, 2018 |
3.5 stars. A wryly funny book, with a great setting (Wales). Quirky but strangely flat characters. The Quarkbeast was the best part of this book.
  aratiel | Sep 5, 2018 |
This is very much a book by Jasper Fforde, and if you've read other books by him, you'll recognise his humour, his phrasing, and his worldbuilding. Which is why I liked the book well enough, but not more than that.

The protagonist is well written. I liked her as a person and a character. I appreciated that he gender was in no way important to the story - this is rarely done well and very refreshing.

The story was a bit boring and dragged on (or didn't catch my interest), but, as always, Fforde compensates with excellent, tongue-in-cheek worldbuilding, which I enjoyed a lot. As always, political and corporate structures make an awesome weird sort of sense.

Overall, a nice book, but nothing special. ( )
  _rixx_ | Aug 30, 2018 |
Even my county library can't agree on how to characterize this one. Some branches have it shelved in Juvenile Fiction and some have it shelved in Young Adult. Since the heroine is fifteen, I'm sticking with Young Adult. None of that really matters because mostly it's just fun.

There's magic, a dragon, an awful king, fun characters, a lovable but scary Quarkbeast, good guys, bad guys, and several who could be either.

What magic is left in the world is now used for things like rewiring houses and delivering pizza by flying carpet. Jennifer Strange is fifteen, an orphan, and in indentured servitude as the manager of Kazam Mystical Arts Management. Her job is part caretaker and part paperwork wrangler.

When visions seem to predict the impending death of the last great dragon it seems to indicate great changes in the near future and Jennifer plays a key role in the outcome.

It's fun, funny, and just a delightful story.

This is my first book by Jasper Fforde and it most definitely will not be my last. I just love the humor and imaginative story. I've already checked the second book in this series out from the library and have the first of his Thursday Next series on my ereader.

SuziQoregon | Aug 15, 2018 |

2010 -
The grandmother I never knew
The daughter I will
Once, I was famous.
"Quark," said the Quarkbeast.

"Did we really have to bring the beast?" Full Price asked me.

"It jumped in the car when I opened the door."

The Quarkbeast yawned, revealing several rows of razor-sharp fangs. Despite his placid nature, the beast's ferocious appearance almost guaranteed that no one ever completely shrugged off the possibility that he might try to take a chunk out of them when they weren't looking. If the Quarkbeast was aware of this, it didn't show. Indeed, he might have been so unaware that he wondered why people always ran away screaming.

"Quark," said the Quarkbeast.

"Fifteen-year-old Jennifer Strange runs an agency for underemployed magicians in a world where magic is fading away, but when visions of the death of the world's last dragon begin, all signs point to Jennifer--and Big Magic"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,868,674 books! | Top bar: Always visible