The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde

Collections:E-books
Rating:***
Tags:2010, fiction, *fantasy, *young adult, read 2012

The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde

Dark Lord of Derkholm by Diana Wynne Jones (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Similar style and filled with magic, strange beasts and wizards in an imaginary land.
    Enchanted Glass by Diana Wynne Jones (casvelyn)
    casvelyn: Similar tone and worldbuilding
    Which Witch? by Eva Ibbotson (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: YA but similar style of writing and content (about magic, wizards, witches etc.)
    Too Many Curses by A. Lee Martinez (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Similar humourous style and also about wizards and magic.
    Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo (4leschats)
    4leschats: Both books have an ordinary human girl who is orphaned but learns that she has great power to change the world.

English (99)  German (1)  English (100)
If you liked Fforde's quirky characters and surrealistic settings in his Thursday Next novels, you'll like this. It has more of a YA character, but his unique style is evident. If you haven't read Fforde's books before, they're...well...different in a charming and escapist sort of way. Some people compare him to Douglas Adams or Terry Pratchett, but his writing reminds me more of Roald Dahl, especially in this book, and I'd compare it favorably to Dahl's works Matilda, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and James and the Giant Peach. ( )
  DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |
Synopsis: Jenifer Strange is the manager of a group of wizards who use their magic to do practical things, such as rewire houses and move cars. She is also the last dragonslayer, and there is a dragon that supposed to be slain. However, her good sense and honor tell her not to do it. She puts her life in danger and her wizards in peril to do what's right rather than what the King wants.
Review: As always, a well written story with a twisted plot and a surprise ending. Good fun. ( )
  DrLed | Sep 24, 2016 |
Absurd British humor aimed at the adolescent crowd that hits the mark for the rest of us too. The Last Dragonslayer is never predictable, sometimes silly, and thoroughly entertaining. ( )
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |
In the Ununited Kingdoms, magic is a part of everyday life, but it's only used for the most mundane of tasks, like rewiring a house's electricity or removing all the moles from the garden (or your face). But lately, the magic levels seem to be rising in the Kingdom of Hereford, and nobody quite knows why. Moreover, the local pre-cogs have begun to prophesy the death of the world's last remaining dragon -- an event of great importance, not only because dragons seem to be inextricably tied to magic, but also because once a dragon dies, its lands are up for grabs. Thus, the premonition inevitably results in a huge influx of people and corporations hoping to claim the Dragonlands for themselves. In the midst of all this, Jennifer Strange, a seemingly ordinary 15-year-old girl, learns that she has a surprising destiny: she is the Last Dragonslayer, the one fated to kill the dragon. The problem is, Jennifer isn't quite sure she wants to do it....

As a big Fforde ffan, I'm glad I finally got around to reading this book, his first YA novel and the first book in a trilogy. Overall, I found it pretty enjoyable and quite reminiscent of the Thursday Next books in some ways. Like Thursday, Jennifer is a strong and intelligent heroine who's willing to fight for her principles. She also has a quirky pet, although it's not a dodo but a Quarkbeast, a visually terrifying creature with the personality of a dog. And just as Thursday often gets into trouble with the all-powerful Goliath corporation, Jennifer runs into similar problems with Consolidated Useful Stuff. In fact, maybe that's the reason I didn't like this book as much as Fforde's other work -- it's a bit too similar to the Thursday Next series, except without all the fun literary references and time travel. I'd say it's still worth reading if you enjoy Fforde's particular brand of schtick, but it's not the best entry point into his work.
  christina_reads | Jan 30, 2016 |
I'm afraid I tend to be very scathing about adults reading children's books, so I'm not very used to doing so myself.... I'd only do so for Jasper ;-) Not sure if I will again or not as I did quite enjoy this book.

The story is fairly typical of him. Lots of humour, lots of wierd & wonderful names and puns, but as you'd expect from a children's book, the language and plot are a lot simpler. Again, a very Fforde-esque set up: the story is based in the Kingdom of Hereford where magic is waning and there is only one dragon left and he is living in the Dragonlands as defined by the dragonpact - all very like the Danelaw etc. Our heroine is Jennifer Strange, a foundling just short of her 16th birthday who is managing the Kazam Magic Agency. Not going to go into too much detail from here as it will spoil the book, but unsurprisingly she's involved in various magic/dragon related adventure with her faithful quarkbeast (I really liked him!) by her side. There were a few other characters that I wished were developed further, like Tiger Prawns, so am fully expecting them to feature more heavily in the follow up books.

Like I said, a great book for the Harry Potter generation, but not sure that I'll bother when there are so many other books out there that are actually intended to appeal to me. ( )
  Cassandra2020 | Jan 24, 2016 |

2010 -
The grandmother I never knew
The daughter I will
Once, I was famous.
"Quark," said the Quarkbeast.

"Did we really have to bring the beast?" Full Price asked me.

"It jumped in the car when I opened the door."

The Quarkbeast yawned, revealing several rows of razor-sharp fangs. Despite his placid nature, the beast's ferocious appearance almost guaranteed that no one ever completely shrugged off the possibility that he might try to take a chunk out of them when they weren't looking. If the Quarkbeast was aware of this, it didn't show. Indeed, he might have been so unaware that he wondered why people always ran away screaming.

"Quark," said the Quarkbeast.

"Fifteen-year-old Jennifer Strange runs an agency for underemployed magicians in a world where magic is fading away, but when visions of the death of the world's last dragon begin, all signs point to Jennifer--and Big Magic"--

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,638,815 books! | Top bar: Always visible