The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde

Collections:E-books
Rating:***
Tags:2010, fiction, *fantasy, *young adult, read 2012

The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde

Recently added byQueenAlpo, jjpb, paolaloris, private library, BLBera, Johanna_Talbott, WhiteCedar, Vegemite
2012 (15) 2013 (19) adventure (8) British (9) dragons (82) Dragonslayer (8) ebook (26) England (16) fantasy (203) fiction (104) goodreads (7) humor (66) Kindle (7) library (9) magic (72) read (16) read in 2012 (13) series (11) sff (7) signed (7) teen (11) to-read (61) UK (9) unread (7) urban fantasy (14) witches (8) wizards (25) YA (46) young adult (49) young adult fiction (7)
    Dark Lord of Derkholm by Diana Wynne Jones (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Similar style and filled with magic, strange beasts and wizards in an imaginary land.
    Which Witch? by Eva Ibbotson (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: YA but similar style of writing and content (about magic, wizards, witches etc.)
    Too Many Curses by A. Lee Martinez (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Similar humourous style and also about wizards and magic.
    Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo (4leschats)
    4leschats: Both books have an ordinary human girl who is orphaned but learns that she has great power to change the world.

It is a fantastic book for both adults young and old. ( )
  KESwriter | Apr 2, 2014 |
Fforde novels are so wildly inventive--convoluted plot lines, literary jokes, plot twists galore. I found The Last Dragonslayer harder to get into than some of his other novels, but part of that was not knowing what to expect from a Fforde YA novel. Just what would make this a "teen" book? Fewer literary references? Internet meme jokes? I had nothing to fear. There was enough literary allusion, invented pop culture, and nonsense to gladden the most ardent Fforde fan's heart.

I'll admit I wasn't convinced that the main character, Jennifer Strange, rang true as an authentic 16 year-old. (For example, the mother in me cringed when she hires a 40 year-old male assistant, and blithely goes off alone with him. I was really, really glad this was Jasper Fforde and not a creepy murder mystery author.) I ended up deciding I should just think of Jennifer as a sort of younger sibling of Thursday Next, and just enjoy the ride in the Slayermobile with a quarkbeast at my side, on the way to a rendezvous with a dragon. ( )
  Turrean | Feb 15, 2014 |
I have loved Jasper Fforde's adult books and am delighted to see him branching out to children's books. This book was fabulous. I loved the characters and the wild and wacky world. Fforde has a logic of his own and he is a master storyteller. We have added it to the library's collection because we know kids will love it. A wonderful book for a rainy day! I hope there will be more! ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
Meh. Showcases the more annoying sides of Fforde's writing without being Brontë-related or particularly clever. Had to take it down an extra star due to the presence of my least favorite plot device: death of a dog (or in this case, dog analogue). ( )
  thatotter | Feb 6, 2014 |
The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fford
This is a 2014 Lone Star selection. I did not want to read this book; it just didn’t sound interesting to me. I was wrong. I found it very enjoyable and would like read the next book in the series.

Magic used to be everywhere, but it’s been fading and some think it will disappear. Jennifer Strange is a foundling (orphan) and runs Kazam Mystical Arts Management where those who still have some magic are called upon to do mundane tasks, like re-wire a house or deliver pizza on a magic carpet. Business is drying up and the owner of Kazam has disappeared. Jennifer is in complete control when a new foundling is sent to help, Tiger. Tiger is bright and a good helper for Jennifer. Jennifer also has a Quarkbeast as her pet who is very useful.

Something’s up. Big Magic seems to be coming. Powers are becoming stronger and a seer has predicted that the last dragon is about to die. Many years ago, a pact was made between dragons and people. The dragons could have their land if they left people alone. There was a magical force field put around the dragons to keep people out. Only the one dragonslayer and his/her apprentice can ever enter the dragon lands. If this is true and the last dragon is slain, the world will be changed. Jennifer ends up in the middle of everything and she will have to determine what should happen.

I liked the character of Jennifer. She is a strong character with a logical brain. Also, she’s not materialistic, greedy, or spoiled. She’s very down-to-earth and caring. I thought it was a fun fantasy novel that was easy to read and very enjoyable. ( )
  acargile | Jan 28, 2014 |

2010 -
The grandmother I never knew
The daughter I will
Once, I was famous.
"Quark," said the Quarkbeast.

"Did we really have to bring the beast?" Full Price asked me.

"It jumped in the car when I opened the door."

The Quarkbeast yawned, revealing several rows of razor-sharp fangs. Despite his placid nature, the beast's ferocious appearance almost guaranteed that no one ever completely shrugged off the possibility that he might try to take a chunk out of them when they weren't looking. If the Quarkbeast was aware of this, it didn't show. Indeed, he might have been so unaware that he wondered why people always ran away screaming.

"Quark," said the Quarkbeast.

This is Jasper Fforde's first work for a younger generation of readers: hilarious, offbeat and bewitching, it is the start of a Dragonslayer trilogy.

444 wanted4 pay8 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,493,691 books! | Top bar: Always visible