The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde

The Last Dragonslayer (edition 2010)

by Jasper Fforde

Title:The Last Dragonslayer
Authors:Jasper Fforde
Info:Hodder & Stoughton (2010), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 281 pages
Tags:series, fantasy, 2012

The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde

Dark Lord of Derkholm by Diana Wynne Jones (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Similar style and filled with magic, strange beasts and wizards in an imaginary land.
    Enchanted Glass by Diana Wynne Jones (casvelyn)
    casvelyn: Similar tone and worldbuilding
    Which Witch? by Eva Ibbotson (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: YA but similar style of writing and content (about magic, wizards, witches etc.)
    Too Many Curses by A. Lee Martinez (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Similar humourous style and also about wizards and magic.
    Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo (4leschats)
    4leschats: Both books have an ordinary human girl who is orphaned but learns that she has great power to change the world.

English (86)  German (1)  All languages (87)
Loved it, as I loved all the Jasper Fforde novels I've read. not as clever as some of the others, but wonderful and playful. ( )
  MizPurplest | Sep 21, 2015 |
I've been waiting a long time to read this book, and it was worth the wait. Fforde's first foray into YA is a resounding success, introducing younger readers to his signature brand of fantasy. The story follows Jennifer Strange, a kind of orphan who is in charge of managing a bunch of magicians in a world in which magic once was mainstream but is lately dwindling. The incidental plots, as in all Fforde's books, make sideways commentary on our own society: the insanity of power politics and partisanship that precludes effective government, and the commercialization of life. The blend of ultramodern dystopia and medieval fantasy is so crazy it just works, and the outcome is ultimately satisfying. I accepted the setup to the sequel with the tiniest of mental eyerolls-- after all, Fforde is not known for standalone works-- and I look forward to picking up The Song of the Quarkbeast, which I hope will give insights into one of the most loyal and tragic characters in this book. ( )
  karenchase | Aug 20, 2015 |
Slow to start but SO GOOD in the end.

See you at bookclub on Saturday, I HAZ NOTES!

BunnyCates | Jul 8, 2015 |

Total: 7.5

In Depth

Best Part:
A strong female MC!
Worst Part: Water works happening!
Overall Feels Felt: So much info!; Dragons!; I need magic!!!!

Continuing the Series:
Recommending: yes

Short Review: This was a cute little read! I loved the MC, she reminds me of me. She was sassy when needed and was a strong character. I loved the dragon as well. Tiger was probably my fav character. The writing is a bit out there and there's a lot of info and names i have no luck of remembering.

Review In GIF Form

booklife4life | Jul 3, 2015 |
Description: In the good old days, magic was indispensable—it could both save a kingdom and clear a clogged drain. But now magic is fading: drain cleaner is cheaper than a spell, and magic carpets are used for pizza delivery.

Fifteen-year-old foundling Jennifer Strange runs Kazam, an employment agency for magicians—but it’s hard to stay in business when magic is drying up.

And then the visions start, predicting the death of the world’s last dragon at the hands of an unnamed Dragonslayer. If the visions are true, everything will change for Kazam—and for Jennifer.

Because something is coming. Something known as . . . Big Magic.

Thoughts: Oh, Jasper Fforde, what rides you take us on! The Last Dragonslayer has been on my radar for a very long time, since it originally came out in the UK. I've been waiting and waiting for it to come out here in the states (although I've come very close to just ordering it from the UK several times). While I can say that it doesn't disappoint in the grand scheme of things, there were some issues.

The most problematic for me is the abruptness, something that I've struggled with in most of Fforde's books. He doesn't usually take what I would deem enough time to set the stage and introduce characters, favoring the approach of throwing readers into the deep end rather than letting them ease in. Sometimes this doesn't bother me so much, but for this book, the first in a new series, a bit more character exploration and explanation would have been nice. Take Tiger Prawns for example: his moral fortitude is clear but his actual personality, physicality, history, temperament, etc, are left as complete unknowns. Which, for me, left him as a rather flat character when I feel like he should be much more fleshed out and important.

And don't even get me started about the Quarkbeast, who should be a wonderfully interesting character who comes off as.... well, just a shape that eats metal. We know nothing about it except it's dedication to Jennifer and it's supposedly terrifying aspect.

All in all, I think the world that Fforde has built is just as interesting and twisty as his others. I think the general plot of this story is compelling. I just wish there had been more development of it all, more time to spend looking around a little and getting acquainted.

But don't let any of my whinging make you think I won't buy the next one the second it comes out, because I will. I have faith that Fforde will delight me again.

Rating: 3.6

Liked: 3.5
Plot: 4

2010 -
The grandmother I never knew
The daughter I will
Once, I was famous.
"Quark," said the Quarkbeast.

"Did we really have to bring the beast?" Full Price asked me.

"It jumped in the car when I opened the door."

The Quarkbeast yawned, revealing several rows of razor-sharp fangs. Despite his placid nature, the beast's ferocious appearance almost guaranteed that no one ever completely shrugged off the possibility that he might try to take a chunk out of them when they weren't looking. If the Quarkbeast was aware of this, it didn't show. Indeed, he might have been so unaware that he wondered why people always ran away screaming.

"Quark," said the Quarkbeast.

"Fifteen-year-old Jennifer Strange runs an agency for underemployed magicians in a world where magic is fading away, but when visions of the death of the world's last dragon begin, all signs point to Jennifer--and Big Magic"--

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,816,688 books! | Top bar: Always visible