The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde

The Last Dragonslayer (edition 2010)

by Jasper Fforde

Member:katie.funk
Title:The Last Dragonslayer
Authors:Jasper Fforde
Info:Hodder & Stoughton (2010), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 281 pages
Tags:series, fantasy, 2012

The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde

2012 (15) 2013 (18) adventure (10) British (9) children's (7) dragons (84) ebook (26) England (17) fantasy (212) fiction (109) humor (69) Kindle (8) library (9) magic (74) orphans (7) read (16) read in 2012 (13) series (13) sff (7) signed (7) teen (14) to-read (71) UK (9) unread (8) urban fantasy (14) witches (8) wizards (26) YA (47) young adult (50) young adult fiction (9)
    Dark Lord of Derkholm by Diana Wynne Jones (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Similar style and filled with magic, strange beasts and wizards in an imaginary land.
    Which Witch? by Eva Ibbotson (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: YA but similar style of writing and content (about magic, wizards, witches etc.)
    Too Many Curses by A. Lee Martinez (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Similar humourous style and also about wizards and magic.
    Enchanted Glass by Diana Wynne Jones (casvelyn)
    casvelyn: Similar tone and worldbuilding
    Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo (4leschats)
    4leschats: Both books have an ordinary human girl who is orphaned but learns that she has great power to change the world.

English (77)  German (1)  All languages (78)
If you're familiar with the Thursday Next series then I don't have to say anything more because you've probably already read this series as well. For those just hearing the name of Jasper Fforde, my advice is skip this one and go straight to The Eyre Affair. Jasper's quirky style is redone as a light, young adult story of a modern setting where magic remained somewhat and enters a quest of whodunnit as a dragonslayer. Personally, I found it too light drifting into the shallow and extremely predictable in several places. The author can do so much better than this. ( )
  revslick | Jul 9, 2014 |
Something new for Jasper Fforde, a YA novel. This one does have the same feel as his other books but is firmly set in its own universe. Jennifer Strange is a super capable 15 year old trying to keep a company running and hiding the fact the the owner of said company has run off. The adult wizards that are the employees of the company seem just fine with this arrangement. Turns out though that she has a destiny awaiting her as the last dragonslayer and she doesn't even know it. There is big money to be made when the last dragon dies and everyone wants as much of that as possible. A good fun read and I'm sure I'll pick up the other ones and maybe gift them to younger family members during the holidays.
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |
loved the prose
overall 80% ( )
  jason9292 | Jun 6, 2014 |
It is a fantastic book for both adults young and old. ( )
  KESwriter | Apr 2, 2014 |
Fforde novels are so wildly inventive--convoluted plot lines, literary jokes, plot twists galore. I found The Last Dragonslayer harder to get into than some of his other novels, but part of that was not knowing what to expect from a Fforde YA novel. Just what would make this a "teen" book? Fewer literary references? Internet meme jokes? I had nothing to fear. There was enough literary allusion, invented pop culture, and nonsense to gladden the most ardent Fforde fan's heart.

I'll admit I wasn't convinced that the main character, Jennifer Strange, rang true as an authentic 16 year-old. (For example, the mother in me cringed when she hires a 40 year-old male assistant, and blithely goes off alone with him. I was really, really glad this was Jasper Fforde and not a creepy murder mystery author.) I ended up deciding I should just think of Jennifer as a sort of younger sibling of Thursday Next, and just enjoy the ride in the Slayermobile with a quarkbeast at my side, on the way to a rendezvous with a dragon. ( )
  Turrean | Feb 15, 2014 |

2010 -
The grandmother I never knew
The daughter I will
Once, I was famous.
"Quark," said the Quarkbeast.

"Did we really have to bring the beast?" Full Price asked me.

"It jumped in the car when I opened the door."

The Quarkbeast yawned, revealing several rows of razor-sharp fangs. Despite his placid nature, the beast's ferocious appearance almost guaranteed that no one ever completely shrugged off the possibility that he might try to take a chunk out of them when they weren't looking. If the Quarkbeast was aware of this, it didn't show. Indeed, he might have been so unaware that he wondered why people always ran away screaming.

"Quark," said the Quarkbeast.

"Fifteen-year-old Jennifer Strange runs an agency for underemployed magicians in a world where magic is fading away, but when visions of the death of the world's last dragon begin, all signs point to Jennifer--and Big Magic"--

444 wanted4 pay9 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,479,372 books! | Top bar: Always visible