The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde

The Last Dragonslayer (edition 2010)

by Jasper Fforde

Member:jfoster_sf
Title:The Last Dragonslayer
Authors:Jasper Fforde
Info:Hodder & Stoughton (2010), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 281 pages
Rating:**1/2
Tags:magic, dragons, humor, 10 and up

The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde

Dark Lord of Derkholm by Diana Wynne Jones (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Similar style and filled with magic, strange beasts and wizards in an imaginary land.
    Enchanted Glass by Diana Wynne Jones (casvelyn)
    casvelyn: Similar tone and worldbuilding
    Which Witch? by Eva Ibbotson (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: YA but similar style of writing and content (about magic, wizards, witches etc.)
    Too Many Curses by A. Lee Martinez (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Similar humourous style and also about wizards and magic.
    Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo (4leschats)
    4leschats: Both books have an ordinary human girl who is orphaned but learns that she has great power to change the world.

English (104)  German (1)  All (105)
In the Ununited Kingdoms magic has lost its power, magicians are forced to demean themselves by carrying out simple tasks such as pizza delivery and unblocking drains. In the kingdom of Hereford commerce is important and war against the Duke of Brecon a priority. Jennifer Strange is a foundling indentured to Kazam, a company which deals in the magical arts, but Jennifer has a destiny - she is the Last Dragonslayer.

Up to about 5 years ago I was a huge fan of Jasper Fforde, I found the Thursday Next series witty and entertaining. For some reason I stopped reading the new books, I think that I picked one up and wasn't in the right frame of mind to get into it! Having seen that this book was being adapted for TV I decided to pull it off the shelf and see if I could rekindle my love for Jasper Fforde. This is a children's book and therefore is not quite as sophisticated as the adult novels in terms of in-jokes and links to other media but it is an amazing children's book. The ideas are just as crazy, the story entertaining and the writing is fizzy - it's like Harry Potter on hallucinogens. ( )
  pluckedhighbrow | Jun 26, 2017 |
It almost didn't feel like a fantasy at all. That is, it was full of the stressors of the real world, like problems at work, a failing industry, tricky politics, tedious paperwork, commercialism, war, devious people, etc. The magical bits seemed incidental.

I am going to read the next book mostly because the Quarkbeast was endearing. ( )
  mrsrobin | Jun 24, 2017 |
Very fun, a bit simpler Jasper Fforde than the Thursday next series, but still very fun! ( )
  shaunesay | Jun 21, 2017 |
Jasper Fforde's new YA series, about a 16 year old girl who runs a magical business/hotel for magicians, soothsayers, and other magical folk, is fantastic. What makes this story even more glorious is Fforde's ability to pitch perfect catch a 16 year old and make her a strong protagonist without resorting to cliches or tropes.

byshieldmaiden | Jan 17, 2017 |
I loved Jasper Fforde's other literate and quirky series, so, while waiting for the latest Thursday Next novel to be available on audio for commuting, I tried this one. It starts a little slow, as Fforde takes his time establishing characters and setting. But by 30 pages in or so, it's becoming another funny, rollicking good time in the Fforde tradition, with literary allusion more appropriate to the younger audience, plenty of sarcasm and lots of quirky magic. I highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys fantasy/magical novels that don't take themselves too seriously. ( )
  kaitanya64 | Jan 3, 2017 |

2010 -
The grandmother I never knew
The daughter I will
Once, I was famous.
"Quark," said the Quarkbeast.

"Did we really have to bring the beast?" Full Price asked me.

"It jumped in the car when I opened the door."

The Quarkbeast yawned, revealing several rows of razor-sharp fangs. Despite his placid nature, the beast's ferocious appearance almost guaranteed that no one ever completely shrugged off the possibility that he might try to take a chunk out of them when they weren't looking. If the Quarkbeast was aware of this, it didn't show. Indeed, he might have been so unaware that he wondered why people always ran away screaming.

"Quark," said the Quarkbeast.

"Fifteen-year-old Jennifer Strange runs an agency for underemployed magicians in a world where magic is fading away, but when visions of the death of the world's last dragon begin, all signs point to Jennifer--and Big Magic"--

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,318,995 books! | Top bar: Always visible