The Amazing Screw-On Head and Other Curious…

The Amazing Screw-On Head and Other Curious Objects (edition 2010)

by Mike Mignola, Dave Stewart (Colorist)

Member:othersam
Title:The Amazing Screw-On Head and Other Curious Objects
Authors:Mike Mignola
Other authors:Dave Stewart (Colorist)
Info:Dark Horse (2010), Hardcover, 104 pages

The Amazing Screw-On Head and Other Curious Objects by Mike Mignola

I wouldn't say I'm a HUGE Mignola fan, but I do tend to like his stuff and I probably liked this more than anything else I've read from him. It's basically 5 short graphic stories, all very imaginative, some sad, some fun and very cool looking. [book:Joe Golem and the Drowning City: An Illustrated Novel|12344422] is next, and after reading this I have high hopes for it. ( )
  ragwaine | Nov 4, 2016 |
Abraham Lincoln summons an indestructable head that can attach itself to several different robotic bodies that it owns in order to save the earth from a slew of crazy / disturbing arch villians. Yes. ( )
  LJMax | Aug 21, 2015 |
I have to admit, my first spin through this one I was amused but not super engaged. The super hero format leaves me a little cold and the other comics, while sort of interesting, seemed more like drawing exercises than a coherent work. After reading Mignola's author notes at the end I went back through the book a second time and got a lot more out of it. Mignola is definitely a fan boy darling, but once I set that aside and jumped into his dark sense of humor and detailed gothic drawings, I really enjoyed this collection.

[full review here: http://spacebeer.blogspot.com/2015/01/the-amazing-screw-on-head-and-other.html ] ( )
  kristykay22 | Jan 10, 2015 |
Summary: This is a collection of short pieces. In the titular story, the Amazing Screw-On Head (which is basically what it sounds like) is summoned by President Lincoln to keep Emperor Zombie from taking over the world. There's also a take on Jack and the Beanstalk, a story of what happens to a witch's puppets when she dies, and a story that features murderers, ghosts, and Martians.

Review: I picked this up totally randomly from the library shelf; I haven't read Hellboy or any of Mignola's other work. This volume was… I can't really say it wasn't what I was expecting, since I wasn't expecting anything in particular, but it was definitely odd. The worlds Mignola created felt like wandering around in his imagination, if his imagination were an antiques store crammed with dusty Victoriana and the trappings of multiple steampunk horror movies. The stories themselves were entertaining, if bizarre, but I was a little disappointed that there weren't longer stories, or that the stories weren't linked. Overall, this was enjoyable enough for a quick read, but I doubt it'll be particularly memorable. 3 out of 5 stars.

Recommendation: I'm going to assume that this would appeal most to Mignola's existing fans; it didn't really inspire me to seek out more of his work. ( )
  fyrefly98 | Sep 10, 2014 |
Screw-On Head. Zounds, how I love Screw-On Head. Seriously, it's funny, it's weird, it's off-kilter, it's brilliant.

Along with Screw-On Head, we have a series of strange and curious tales from the mind of Mike Mignola (and one from his 7 year old daughter). One thing I liked about all these tales was that there were these little bits, just the tiniest fragments, that connect them all together somehow. Don't try to make sense of it, just enjoy the ride.

Also, Doctor. Snap, one of the characters in Screw-On Head, faces off against the preparing Martian invaders right out of War of the Worlds. How cool is that? ( )
1 vote regularguy5mb | Jun 4, 2013 |
For my wife, my daughter, and former U.S. President Abraham Lincoln.

A collection of stories about bizzare and curious objects, including a robotic head which screws onto replacement bodies like a light bulb and spies for Abraham Lincoln.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,994,582 books! | Top bar: Always visible