The Happiness Advantage: The Seven…

by Shawn Achor

Member:yannie
Title:The Happiness Advantage: The Seven Principles of Positive Psychology That Fuel Success and Performance at Work
Authors:Shawn Achor
Info:Crown Business (2010), Hardcover, 256 pages
Collections:Currently reading

The Happiness Advantage: The Seven Principles of Positive Psychology That Fuel Success and Performance at Work by Shawn Achor

Think that once you're happy, you'll be successful? Positive psychology posits the exact opposite, that happiness breeds success. Shawn Achor uses his professional consulting and extensive research (the notes detailing his sources are 6 pages long!) to support his principles for helping you choose happiness. I've read it - once - but already plan to read it again. His TED talk on the topic is one of their Top 10. I have already recommended his work to several other people and starting his second book. ( )
  MSBlog_Mom | Nov 5, 2014 |
Whoops.

Original rating and review was for Duhigg's Power of Habit, not Achor's happiness Advantage.

I'll just say that while I enjoyed and appreciated this book, it does much less well at the things that made Duhigg's work stand out. ( )
  nnschiller | Sep 18, 2014 |
Great book, with fresh ideas and a great writing style. I petered out a bit towards the end (so perhaps could have been 50pp shorter) but recommend as it has some good advice. ( )
  tandah | Jul 9, 2014 |
This book is one of a growing library of research that supports what I've believed for the past few years: that happiness is a skill you can develop. What's great about this book is that it doesn't make the assumption that something is inherently wrong with the reader, and gives readers practical advice on small things they can do to get their brains more tuned in to being happy. It's a state of mind—one that does come more naturally to some than others—but it's also a muscle that can be exercised. And there's no "secret" to it, as many so-called self-help books suggest. It's just doing small things, such as writing three good things down every night, whether it's three good things that happened over the course of a day (no matter how small) or three things you're grateful for. Doing this can help rewire your brain to see more possibilities, more insights, and help you see and seize upon opportunity when it arises. It's a book that's geared more toward helping leaders and business people make their workplaces happier, but I think anyone could benefit from reading this. Also, he's funny. ( )
  stacy_chambers | Aug 22, 2013 |
Not yet read
  Egaro | Jul 26, 2013 |
To my parents, both teachers,

who have dedicated their lives to the belief that we can all

shine brighter
If you observe the people around you, you'll find most individuals follow a formula that has been subtly or not so subtly taught to them by their schools, their company, their parents, or society. (Introduction)
I applied to Harvard on a dare.

Our most commonly held formula for success is broken. Conventional wisdom holds that if we work hard we will be more successful, and if we are more successful, then we’ll be happy. If we can just find that great job, win that next promotion, lose those five pounds, happiness will follow. But recent discoveries in the field of positive psychology have shown that this formula is actually backward: Happiness fuels success, not the other way around. When we are positive, our brains become more engaged, creative, motivated, energetic, resilient, and productive at work. This isn’t just an empty mantra. This discovery has been repeatedly borne out by rigorous research in psychology and neuroscience, management studies, and the bottom lines of organizations around the globe.

In The Happiness Advantage, Shawn Achor, who spent over a decade living, researching, and lecturing at Harvard University, draws on his own research—including one of the largest studies of happiness and potential at Harvard and others at companies like UBS and KPMG—to fix this broken formula. Using stories and case studies from his work with thousands of Fortune 500 executives in 42 countries, Achor explains how we can reprogram our brains to become more positive in order to gain a competitive edge at work.

Isolating seven practical, actionable principles that have been tried and tested everywhere from classrooms to boardrooms, stretching from Argentina to Zimbabwe, he shows us how we can capitalize on the Happiness Advantage to improve our performance and maximize our potential. Among the principles he outlines:

• The Tetris Effect: how to retrain our brains to spot patterns of possibility, so we can see—and seize—opportunities wherever we look.
   • The Zorro Circle: how to channel our efforts on small, manageable goals, to gain the leverage to gradually conquer bigger and bigger ones.
   • Social Investment: how to reap the dividends of investing in one of the greatest predictors of success and happiness—our social support network

A must-read for everyone trying to excel in a world of increasing workloads, stress, and negativity, The Happiness Advantage isn’t only about how to become happier at work. It’s about how to reap the benefits of a happier and more positive mind-set to achieve the extraordinary in our work and in our lives.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:52 -0400)

Recent discoveries in the field of positive psychology have shown that happiness fuels success, not the other way around. Achor isolates seven practical, actionable principles that show how to capitalize on the Happiness Advantage to improve performance and maximize potential.… (more)

193 wanted2 pay9 pay

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,965,971 books! | Top bar: Always visible