Precious bane by Mary Gladys Meredith Webb

Precious bane (original 1924; edition 1980)

by Mary Gladys Meredith Webb

6042016,187 (4.06)86
Member:meburste
Title:Precious bane
Authors:Mary Gladys Meredith Webb
Info:Notre Dame, Ind.: University of Notre Dame Press, 1980.
Tags:fiction

Precious Bane by Mary Webb (1924)

English (18)  French (2)  All languages (20)
Being the devoted reader of British classics I am, how I've managed to miss this little gem of a book for so long I honestly don't know. But beware, my dear reader, this is not Jane Austen. This is a harsh tale, in the style of Thomas Hardy or even George Eliot, you'll see the characters you so much come to care for struggle in an unfair and prejudiced world, and you'll suffer along with them.

Prudence Sarn is a country girl who lives with her simple mother and her older brother, Gideon, "Maister of the place". Prue is gentle, goodhearted and has a fine figure along with a sharp brain. But she also has a harelip, meaning her whole existence is blighted, as it's impossible that anyone would marry a girl with a curse like that. In spite of her bleak future, she makes light of her woes and from very early on, she develops a special relationship with everything alive, her senses being aligned n harmony with the wild natural world; animals, trees and even the wind are her most beloved companions.
Gideon, in contrast with good natured Prue, is as ambitious and severe as he is handsome. He works hard (and slaves Prue to do the same for him) to be wealthy and prosperous and his pride prevents him from marrying the girl he loves, fair Jancis, because he wants to be well-off before he gives himself that pleasure, not caring if others suffer because of his material whims.
But Prue's peace of mind crumbles down when she meets the new weaver, Kester Woodseaves, whom she starts to worship in secret not believing herself worthy of him. It's up to this Prince Charming to perceive the real beauty of Pruedence Sarn and free her from gossip and hateful stares.

"This was the reason for the hating looks, the turnings aside, the whispers. I was a the witch of Sarn. I was the woman cursed of God with a hare-shotten lip. I was the woman who had friended Beguildy, that wicked old man, the devil's oddman, and like holds to like. And now, almost the worst crime of all, I stood alone".

What mainly got me about this novel is Webb's capacity to transmit such a crude story in which guilt, hatred and prejudice get the worst of its characters, as if it was an innocent and sweet fable. And in that sense, the brutality of the morals which are trying to be taught become more evident and disturbing. Also the evident contrast between brother and sister, between evil and goodness: Prue's silent acceptance and her brother's endless thirst to yield power; her ability to be at ease with herself in spite of her faults versus Gideon's incapacity to accept his position in the world; her humble ways, his capricious goals. As if opposed poles inevitably attracted to each other. Yin and yang. Dark and light. Life and death. One can't exist without the other.

"Why, it was only that I was your angel for a day," I said at long last. "A poor daggly angel, too".

What also had me bothered for some time is the subtle way in which Mary Webb implies that no one is naturally evil , what the characters (and ultimately what WE) become is the uncontrollable combination of fate, desire and chance altogether with their skill in taking the right decision at the right moment. This way to view life as a running river whose course we don't have the power to change produced a kind of claustrophobic feeling of impotence, with this constant foreboding, lurking behind my consciousness, that something gruesome was going to happen and that no one would be able to stop it, and I'd sink along with all the characters.

"There are misfortunes that make you spring up and rush to save yourself, but there are others that are too bad for this, for they leave nought to do."

So, imagine my joy, when out of the blue, some shinning and pure light came through and gave me hope and a new understanding, teaching me a valuable lesson: never stop believing in the magic of life, because the moment you stop believing, you will start fading away only to become an invisible spot of dust in this infinite nothingness which some call existence. ( )
  Luli81 | Mar 25, 2013 |
Incredibly difficult old English dialect to read but worth persevering. This is a beautiful story. ( )
  wbwilburn5 | Jun 9, 2012 |
My interest in Mary Webb is partly because she's a Virago Modern Classics author, but also because she's a Shropshire lass. It was a little hard to get past the thought that Mary Webb's books were a big inspiration for Stella Gibbons' wonderfully funny Cold Comfort Farm, but this novel is no sillier than anything by Thomas Hardy. Webb, like Hardy, writes about country folk, their daily lives and their superstitions. Although she uses Shropshire dialect, the story and characters are far less melodramatic than I'd imagined.

The heroine of the book is Prue Sarn, a strong and intelligent girl with a 'hare-shotten' lip, which everyone assumes will preclude her from having a lover, husband or children. Her brother Gideon is driven by work and the desire to become rich. At his father's funeral he performs the task of sin-eater - pawning his own soul in exchange for the running of his mother's farm.

In one electrifying scene, Prue appears in front of the wizard Beguildy and two men (one of whom is weaver Kester Woodseaves, with whom Prue is secretly in love), naked, in the raising of Venus. Originally the part of Venus was to have been played by Gideon's sweetheart Jancis, but Prue offers herself in her stead, because unlike Jancis Prue has no lover, nor - as Jancis reminds her, to Prue's fury - is she ever likely to have one. As she dances naked, her face and hare-lip are hidden, but Prue is fully aware of the power of her naked body to inspire helpless lust in men. It's a feeling she enjoys, though she is bitter because she thinks they would recoil if they saw her face.

Without wishing to give away too much of the story, it's enough to say that tragedy follows tragedy, as though Gideon is indeed cursed. There's an inevitability about his death. To Prue, the manner of it seems a fitting end "to a life which so cut itself adrift from all pleasant, feckless human ways and doings. He belonged to none, seemingly, for he gave the go-by to his nearest kin. What he had most truck with was the earth and the water from which he was building himself a life to his mind." To some of her neighbours, though, it is Prue herself who is seen as the cursed one, and one of them whips up feeling against her that climaxes in an attack on her.

The book is at heart, I think, a love story, and a story about finding beauty and contentment in what one has. Prue is a virtuous girl, but she doesn't pass judgement on others. Her heart is genuinely big, which is precisely what Kester Woodseaves sees - not her hare-shotten lip or the curse it is supposed to represent. [April 2005] ( )
2 vote startingover | Feb 2, 2011 |
I love this book. I suspect many people avoid it because it was supposedly one of the books satirised in "Cold Comfort Farm" (I like that as well). It has an atmosphere and spell of its own, set in a remote farmhouse by a lake in the woods, peopled with vivid characters. I love the racy Shropshire dialect they speak in, with its almost Biblical rhythms, (reminding me of my own grandfather's "dunna", "wunna" and "shanna" in another county), and the interweaving of folk tales and beliefs that came naturally to them. It's the story of one man's avarice which leads to many tragedies before the end, and of his sister's struggle for literacy, healing, and love.
I believe the ending tells us that we can't always overcome by ourselves, and need to accept rescue sometimes.
And once and for all, the "precious bane" is not Prue's harelip! That wouldn't make sense. It is a quote from Milton's "Paradise Lost", prefacing the story in some editions: "Let none admire that riches grow in Hell; that soil may best deserve the precious bane". I e, it's Gideon's lust for riches that destroys the people around him.
And Kester Woodseaves is one of the best romantic heroes in fiction! ( )
  PollyMoore3 | Jan 26, 2011 |
In the early 1800s, not long after the Battle of Waterloo, a young woman named Prue Sarn lived with her mother and brother Gideon on a farm in the Shropshire countryside. Born with a cleft lip, Prue's prospects are limited: her mother believes she is cursed, most of the townspeople think she has evil powers, and she will almost certainly never marry. Everyone she meets remarks on her condition, unable to see the beautiful person inside.

After her father's death, Gideon gets Prue to agree to long-term indentured service on the farm. Gideon is ambitious, and believes that just a few years' hard work will vault them into a new level of society, including a fine house in town. He promises Prue money to treat her lip, and riches for Jancis, a young woman he hopes to marry. Gideon works tirelessly and the farm prospers, but he always wants more. He puts off his marriage, afraid that a wife and children will get in the way of his pursuit of wealth. His singular focus often alienates him from others:
He was ever a strong man, which is almost the same, times, as to say a man with little time for kindness. For if you stop to be kind, you must swerve often from your path. So when folk tell me of this great man and that great man, I think to myself, Who was stinted of joy for his glory? How many old folk and children did his coach wheels go over? (p. 84)

Meanwhile Prue soldiers on, with interminably long hours of hard labor. In her time off she learns to write, keeping a journal which forms the basis of this novel. In describing day-to-day events, she offers keen observations on members of her community:
Sexton's missus was just the opposite. She always made me think of a new-painted coach, big and wide, with an open road, and the horn blowing loud and cheerful, and full speed ahead. She was gay in her dress as a seven-coloured linnet, and if she could wear another shawl or flounce or brooch, she would. ... I used to think myself, seeing her and Sexton together, that she was like a big hank of dyed wool, and he was the thin black distaff it was to be wound off on to. (p. 97)

But Prue, being a normal healthy young woman, longs for long-term companionship. She falls in love with Kester Woodseaves, an itinerant weaver. She worships him from afar, afraid her appearance will scare him off, but one day she saves his life and their relationship begins to change. The rest of the story shows both Gideon and Prue evolving on paths that are true to their characters, with both expected and unexpected consequences.

I liked Prue's character a lot; she was able to summon strength in times of great adversity, and show compassion even to those who had wronged her. Gideon was a greedy jerk, and Kester his complete antithesis. In some ways the story was too predictable, but was improved by some very dramatic segments in which the characters' lives were permanently changed. ( )
4 vote lauralkeet | Sep 26, 2010 |

Mary Webbprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hilder, RowlandIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Baldwin, StanleyIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hilder, RowlandIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sarn (1968IMDb)
To my dear H.B.L.W.
To conjure, even for a moment, the wistfulness which is in the past is like trying to gather in one's arms the hyacinthine colour of the distance.
(Foreword)
It was at a love-spinning that I saw Kester first.
Some copies of this work may be incorrectly attributed to Stanley Baldwin, as he wrote an introduction to one edition.

This classic novel -- a lyrical blending of human passion with a powerful and poetic vision of nature -- has been compared by critics, since its publication in 1924, the great novels of the Bronte sisters and Thomas Hardy. Like Jane Eyre, like Tess of the D'Urbervilles, the heroine of Previous Bane is a strong woman whose determined striving for a fuller life breaks the bonds of her confining world. Born in the wild hill country of Shropshire, Prue Sarn is cursed with a harelip. Her "precious bane" sets her apart -- from the possibility of marriage and from the superstitious villagers, who regard her as "queer, outlandish," "a witch," particularly once she learns to read and write. Resigned to a life of endless labor on her ambitious brother's farm, Prue loves two things -- the remote countryside of her birth, and, first hopelessly, then with answering passion, the weaver Kester Woodseaves.

Born at the time of Waterloo in the wild country of Shropshire, Prudence Sarn is a wild, passionate girl, cursed with a hare lip—her "precious bane." She is cursed for it, too, by the superstitious people amongst whom she lives. Prue loves two things: the remote countryside of her birth and, hopelessly, Kester Woodseaves, the weaver. The tale of how Woodseaves gradually discerns Prue's true beauty is set against the tragic drama of Prue's brother, Gideon, a driven man who is out of harmony with the natural world.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:38 -0400)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,092,147 books! | Top bar: Always visible