Wildefire by Karsten Knight

Wildefire

by Karsten Knight

Oh, how do I describe this book without giving anything away? The first thing that pops into my mind is the word epic. That's truly what this book is. As soon as I opened Wildefire and started to read, I remembered why I love books so much. Karsten Knight has written a gem. It will draw you in, and dig its claws into you until the very end. Best part? You'll love every minute of it.

Ashline and her sister Eve are the best example of sisters at odds that I have ever seen. There is so much depth to their characters. The reader is treated to seeing the delicate balance that lies between these two. Ashline's love for her sister is truly apparent, as is Eve's, however they also ooze tension in their interactions. The inner battle between these two feelings is palpable and delicious. Can feelings be delicious? I think so. When you can drink them off the page because they are so strong, yes, I'd say so. Mixed in with all of this are the petty, and violent moods of goddesses. This I appreciated so much! Ah, to be a god.

Lest you think that this whole book revolves around these two (which I would completely be okay with) I'll assure you that you will also be treated to other reincarnated gods as well! From the typical surfer boy character, down to the tall, dark and handsome character, each one of Ashline's entourage has a vivid and unique personality! I fell in love with every single one of them. Each of these characters brings something unique to the table, and Ashline flourishes with their friendship. I'm going to have to admit that she kind of stole the show for me though. Ashline is amazing!

Story wise, Wildefire is executed perfectly. The book is written in third-person, which I usually tend to shy away from. However being in Ashline's head was never once uncomfortable or awkward. Quite the opposite actually! I enjoyed seeing her inner thoughts and memories so much that I honestly didn't notice the third-person aspect for most of the book. It was as though once I was in her head, nothing else mattered. All that my own mind was concentrated on was what Ashline would do next. This girl is damaged to be sure, but her ability to take that and turn it into perseverance and fantastically witty sarcasm made me bond with her.

The ending is a killer cliffhanger. I'll warn you now. Most of the overall story is wrapped up and I honestly didn't see the very end coming at all. When I got to the last page, my jaw dropped open and I seriously momentarily debated on throwing the book against the wall. Not because I didn't love it! Rather I am now completely frustrated that I will now have to wait to see what happens next. Knight has my heart as a reader. It's true!

I'll end here because if I gush anymore you might all drown in my love for this book. Fresh, fun and unique, Wildefire is an epic ride! If you haven't yet added this to your reading list you need to do it now. Seriously. Once again I'll state that this book reminded me why I love reading in the first place. A great storyline, vivid characters, and so many twists that your draw will drop. That's what you'll find in Wildefire. I want more. ( )
  roses7184 | Feb 5, 2019 |
Sadly, I didn't make it past the first thirty-five pages, but that had little to nothing to do with the story itself. I love the fact that a YA novel features a Polynesian female as its protagonist, and I loved the mythology (let's be honest, Greek mythology is great, but it's a little overdone in YA at this point). I loved the main character's ultra-violent older sister. She struck me as an actual goddess trapped in a human body.

I even loved that a man had written it. There aren't enough men taking the time to write stories from girls' and women's POV.

However, I couldn't slog through the writing itself. There were way too many cliches in each paragraph--there were even a few sentences with two completely separate cliches in them. I didn't even know that was possible. Additionally, I felt that even though the story is told through a first person point of view, we still weren't really in the main character's head. Mr. Knight didn't take the time to "earn" his first person POV, to prove to the reader that literally reading the thoughts of his main character, in the "I" form, was necessary.

Mr. Knight was definitely on the right path with his set up, and even, to a certain extent, the characterization of his cast. The secondary characters felt a little flat, though the two sisters were pretty awesome. I hope this series does well just because of the premise, but I also hope he takes his game to the next level for future installments. I, unfortunately, won't be reading them. ( )
  whatsmacksaid | Sep 21, 2018 |
1. A Polynesian main character, with the role as an incarnation of Pele!
2. A young gods storyline that isn’t solely focused on Greek/Norse/other northern/western European mythology!
I loved how flawed and hot tempered Ash is, which not only makes sense with her godly powers (what with being a volcano goddess of fire and all), but also with her character – she’s obstinate, passionate, and quick to anger. It’s a nice change from the usual mild-mannered, do-gooder type heroines that seem to dominate the paranormal YA field.
Overall, Wildefire has a great premise and is a new series with bucket loads of potential. Though some of the writing quirks were frustrating, though the diversity isn’t quite nailed or fully-realized and believable in this volume, I love that Mr. Knight is writing a series with a person of color as the main character and embracing different myths and pantheons in his universe. ( )
  Nightrune | Feb 28, 2018 |
This was a well-written paranormal story with some hints of romance. Ashline Wilde has come across the country to attend a secluded boarding school in Redwood country. She wanted a fresh start after watching her sister call down lightning and kill one of Ashline's schoolmates. But Blackwood Academy isn't quite the refuge she was hoping for. First, she and some friends rescue another student from being kidnapped. Then, they learn that they are not human but are reincarnated gods from a variety of mythologies. Third, her sister Eve isn't nearly as much out of her life as she would like and is determined to do anything and kill anyone to get Ashline to come away with her.

Being a YA story, there is a love triangle of sorts. Pete the soccer star and Colt the college student/forest ranger are competing for Ashline's attention. Between battles with mercenaries sent to capture the paranormal kids and Eve creating her own unique kind of chaos, this book is packed with excitement and danger.

I really liked the dialog as the kids segue from normal teens with concerns for classes and parties to gods and goddesses learning to use their powers. This is the first book in a trilogy so there are strings left untied. However, it is a complete and engaging story in itself.

YA fans of urban fantasy/paranormal romance will enjoy this one. ( )
  kmartin802 | Jun 5, 2016 |
Whoa!

Okay, in the beginning I wasn't thrilled with the book but I kept reading in hopes that it would get better. Get better it did! This book portrayed perfectly the fickle and tempestuous nature of many goddesses, and gods as well, in the character of Eve, Ashline's older sister. It also portrayed well the idea that even though you've been reincarnated and being in the dark of your previous lives, you can still do good, or bad, it all has to do with your nature. The rocky ups and downs of teenage life are also shown well in this book. Although what really got me was the last chapter of the book, and without giving it away, all I am going to say is that it shocked me and convinced me to find the next book to read. It was tricky, very tricky, that last chapter. ( )
  mariahsidhe | May 12, 2016 |
To Mom and Dad, but especially to Erin and Kelsey - I promise the dysfunctional siblings in this book are not even loosely based on us
Ashline Wilde was a human mood ring.
(pg. 248)

Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel.
(pg. 248)

O come, Thou Wisdom from on high,
Who orderest all things mightily;
(pg. 249)

To us the path of knowledge show,
And teach us in her ways to go.
(pg. 249)

Gaude! Gaude! Emmanuel
Nascetur pro te, Israel!
(pg. 250)

Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel.

After a killing for which she feels responsible, sixteen-year-old Ashline Wilde moves cross-country to a remote California boarding school, where she learns that she and others have special gifts that can help them save the world, but evil forces are at work to stop them.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,323,097 books! | Top bar: Always visible