Love in The Time of Cholera by Gabriel…

Love in The Time of Cholera (1985)

by Gabriel García Márquez

18,95525887 (3.97)1 / 597
    The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende (kiwiflowa, krizia_lazaro)
    kiwiflowa: The House of the Spirits - for some reason Library Thing will not link the book in English.
    The Hummingbird's Daughter by Luis Alberto Urrea (starfishian)
    The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Historical settings come alive in these novels about the complexities of life among close-knit high society social circles.
    The River Midnight by Lilian Nattel (starfishian)
    The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (norabelle414)
    Somewhere Carnal over Forty Winks by Rom LcO'Feer (Anonymous user)

English (219)  Spanish (22)  Dutch (6)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  German (2)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (255)
When I finished reading One Hundred Year of Solitude, I felt as if I had gone on this epic journey, and had the pleasure to meet so many diverse, yet similar, characters. And when that solitude came to end, I wondered what I book by Gabriel García Márquez to read next. My friend told me that she had this book, and after waiting weeks on end (and reading other books in the process), I decided to just get it for myself.

I find Gabriel García Márquez's writig style to be quite fluid. I sometimes get bored when reading other books when the prose gets too long. Normally, I just can't wait for some action, or dialogue to take place. But with Márquez, I feel completely at ease. I understand that this style isn't for everyone, but I'm just glad I can enjoy it.

The story spans an entire lifetime of the two main characters, Fermina Daza and Florentino Ariza. We meet them at a young age when their minds are just beginning to learn about love, up to the final point in thei lives when they decide that love is the last thing that they will live for. Love is like a disease, a purging of emotions from the body. Much like cholera.

One timeless part in the story was the communication between the young lovers via love letters. They had fallen madly in love with each other, or at least the ideas that they had in their minds of each other. But when they actually met each other in person...the most dreadful of rejections. Sounds like this story could be applied to the modern age of internet dating. But where's the classiness and romanticism in that?

With all this talk about love, however, it did make the characters feel just barely three dimensional. Love seemed to be the central character in the book, from Florentino's multiple partners througout the book to Fermina's understanding of how she feels for her husband, even after his death. Flowers meant love. The torrential downpours were sadness after rejection. The never ending journey on the ship, New Fidelity, was a symbol for love. I get it already.

Aside for that little issue, I actually really loved the book. There's just so much to take away from their story...mainly the stuff not to do when in love. It's a long book, but worth it. ( )
  jms001 | Jun 14, 2015 |
This book makes me uncomfortable.

I can't figure you out, Marquez. I don't read this as a tale of true, constant, unremitting love that ends in deserved triumph. Florentino fails as Fermina's 'lover' on multiple levels for me: he obsesses harshly over physicality, specifically his baldness and her odors; he promulgates a pro-rape culture, essentially raping a child; he lies incessantly to Fermina (among others) and thinks none the less of himself for it.

His flaws are far too intense and obvious for him to deserve his feelings for Fermina to be called 'love' as the impassive narrator often does. And yet Marquez seems at once to call attention to his failings, juxtaposed against a positive story. What is he trying to say?

I don't mind a novel that has unlikeable leads, or puts you through relative torture to make one point or another. I'm at a loss though... that through all my disgust with Florentino, I can't say with certainty that Marquez established any point.

By pitting his protaganists in what plays out as a long-awaited, deserved conclusion, Marquez lost my support. Or at the least, he lost my understanding. ( )
  Proustitutes | Jun 11, 2015 |
Well written, but I found Florentino detestable and ridiculous. To spend your whole life pining over someone and in the mean time seduce as many people as possible, including a child seems to me both idiotic and imoral. And I really didn't want them to get together in the end! Disgusting. ( )
  kmstock | May 17, 2015 |
Armando Duran was a marvelous choice of narrator for this audiobook. However, I think I might have had difficulty with the audiobook if I hadn't already read the book in print. Love in the Time of Cholera is more straightforward than One Hunderd Years of Solitude but Marquez still writes with complexity, switching from past to present and back. ( )
  leslie.98 | Apr 17, 2015 |
Difficult to get through. Quite a bit of detail and character driven (some are more enjoyable than others.) Had to force myself to finish reading on, but perhaps, it requires a second reading. ( )
  Swissmama | Apr 8, 2015 |
Ik hou van mannen als Márquez. Wijze, erudiete mannen. Ze vertellen mij dat het niet verkeerd is om gematigd en rustig te zijn, of zelfs af en toe te twijfelen. In deze tijd van mediacratie, waar de makkelijk pratende mensen het voor het zeggen hebben, de vorm dus voor de inhoud gaat (en ik iedere keer merk dat ik, tot mijn grote ergernis, ook de neiging heb om aan die trend mee te doen) ervaar ik hen als een oase van rust. Een geruststellende hand op de schouder die zegt dat ik niet altijd op scherp hoef te staan en dat het misschien wel een goed idee is om even een pauze te nemen.
added by Jozefus | editNRC Handelsblad, Robin Booiman (pay site) (Apr 24, 2014)

Suppose, then, it were possible, not only to swear love ''forever,'' but actually to follow through on it - to live a long, full and authentic life based on such a vow, to put one's alloted stake of precious time where one's heart is? This is the extraordinary premise of Gabriel Garcia Marquez's new novel ''Love in the Time of Cholera,'' one on which he delivers, and triumphantly.

Gabriel García Márquezprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Grossman, EdithTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pynchon, ThomasReview on inside coversecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Richardson, MatthewCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sabarte Belacortu, MarioleinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Valentinetti, Claudio M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Синянская, ЛюдмилаTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The words I am about to express:
They now have their own crowned goddess.

Leandro Diaz
In dieser Gegend geht’s voran:

die bekränzte Göttin zeigt es an.

Leandro Díaz
For Mercedes, of course
Natürlich für Mercedes
It was inevitable: the scent of bitter almonds always reminded him of the fate of unrequited love.
They were together in silence like an old married couple wary of life, beyond the pitfalls of passion, beyond the brutal mockery of hope and the phantoms of disillusion: beyond love. For they had lived together long enough to know that love was always love, anytime and anyplace, but it was more solid the closer it came to death.
She would not waste the rest of her years simmering in the maggot broth of memory

In their youth, Florentino Ariza and Fermina Daza fall passionately in love. When Fermina eventually chooses to marry a wealthy, well-born doctor, Florentino is devastated, but he is a romantic. As he rises in his business career he whiles away the years in 622 affairs--yet he reserves his heart for Fermina. Her husband dies at last, and Florentino purposefully attends the funeral. Fifty years, nine months, and four days after he first declared his love for Fermina, he will do so again.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:59 -0400)

The story of a fantastic wedding, the return of the bride to her parents in disgrace, her brothers' resolve to seek revenge on her corruptor, and the townspeoples' refusal to depart from routine.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141189207, 0141032421, 0141037458

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,442,038 books! | Top bar: Always visible