Love in The Time of Cholera by Gabriel…

Love in The Time of Cholera (1985)

by Gabriel García Márquez

18,54524692 (3.97)1 / 562
    The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende (kiwiflowa, krizia_lazaro)
    kiwiflowa: The House of the Spirits - for some reason Library Thing will not link the book in English.
    The Hummingbird's Daughter by Luis Alberto Urrea (starfishian)
    The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Historical settings come alive in these novels about the complexities of life among close-knit high society social circles.
    The River Midnight by Lilian Nattel (starfishian)
    The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (norabelle414)
    Somewhere Carnal over Forty Winks by Rom LcO'Feer (Anonymous user)

English (211)  Spanish (21)  Dutch (6)  German (2)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (244)
To be fair, the only time I have attempted this book was back in high school Spanish, where we had to read it in its original language. Perhaps it might deserve better than two stars if I was to try again or grab a translated copy. ( )
  autumnturner76 | Sep 22, 2014 |
Enjoyed for the rich writing, the sex scenes for aging lovers.
  Jawbells | Sep 8, 2014 |
De jóvenes, Florentino Ariza y Fermina Daza se enamoran apasionadamente, pero Fermina eventualmente decide casarse con un médico rico y de muy buena familia. Florentino está anonadado, pero es un romántico. Su carrera en los negocios florece, y aunque sostiene 622 pequeños romances, su corazón todavía pertenece a Fermina. Cuando al fin el esposo de ella muere, Florentino acude al funeral con toda intención. A los cincuenta años, nueve meses y cuatro días de haberle profesado amor a Fermina, lo hará una vez más.
Con sagacidad humorística y depurado estilo, García Márquez traza la historia excepcional de un amor que no ha sido correspondido por medio siglo. Aunque nunca parece estar propiamente contenido, el amor fluye a través de la novela de mil maneras –alegre, melancólico, enriquecedor, siempre sorprendente-.
  BibliotecaLardero | Apr 22, 2014 |
I was really expecting to love this book, but I ended up being pretty disappointed.

My main criticism is a morally rooted one. I don't mind problematic characters as long as I feel like the text is aware of their issues and actively exploring them (see: Lolita) but I do not know how I am expected to root for a grand sweeping love story for a man who treats a child in his care so abusively. I feel like this is completely secondary plot point and not something we are encouraged to consider by text, but as soon as it was introduced it was all I could think about. I felt the novel normalized his actions, and that made me far too uncomfortable to enjoy anything.

Besides this issue, I thought it was a somewhat underwhelming story and quite definitely "chick lit" which isn't really my style. I like when the social structure peeps in on the love story, but the times when we are just getting the mush I mentally checked out.

Although I was disappointed with this novel, the writing was beautiful (and beautifully translated) and I would look forward to reading other Garcia Marquez books that might have content I preferred. ( )
  whiteroseyes | Mar 30, 2014 |
Great story telling of a serial three-way love affair set in 1880 to 1930 in Colombia. First there is the youthful fling, then the woman marries "properly", and then after she is widowed 50 years later, the original beau returns to woo, and win. But the plot is only a small part of the book. The characters are crafted by a master. They are all wonderfully nuanced - leaving the reader to determine the good/bad ratio of each. I found the description of the married couple in their later years to be particularly good. Theirs is a good and happy marriage, but far from perfect, which probably reflects reality more than most fictional relationships. The long-term beau is more evil. Many instances are given to make the reader feel well disposed toward him, but the balancing evil behaviour tipped my balance. While the plot is simple, the author makes the telling interesting, almost into a page turner. You know in broad terms what is going to happen, but the details to be filled in remain enticing. I have one quibble - there is a 20 page suicide note from a subsidiary character at the start of the book. The main character reads it and we hear only one detail from it. I spent the next 350 pages waiting to find out what was in the rest of the note. But it never surfaces again. Minor fault, but it distracted me.
Read March 2014 ( )
  mbmackay | Mar 16, 2014 |
Suppose, then, it were possible, not only to swear love ''forever,'' but actually to follow through on it - to live a long, full and authentic life based on such a vow, to put one's alloted stake of precious time where one's heart is? This is the extraordinary premise of Gabriel Garcia Marquez's new novel ''Love in the Time of Cholera,'' one on which he delivers, and triumphantly.

Gabriel García Márquezprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Grossman, EdithTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pynchon, ThomasReview on inside coversecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Richardson, MatthewCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sabarte Belacortu, MarioleinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Valentinetti, Claudio M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Синянская, ЛюдмилаTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The words I am about to express:
They now have their own crowned goddess.

Leandro Diaz
In dieser Gegend geht’s voran:

die bekränzte Göttin zeigt es an.

Leandro Díaz
For Mercedes, of course
Natürlich für Mercedes
It was inevitable: the scent of bitter almonds always reminded him of the fate of unrequited love.
They were together in silence like an old married couple wary of life, beyond the pitfalls of passion, beyond the brutal mockery of hope and the phantoms of disillusion: beyond love. For they had lived together long enough to know that love was always love, anytime and anyplace, but it was more solid the closer it came to death.

In their youth, Florentino Ariza and Fermina Daza fall passionately in love. When Fermina eventually chooses to marry a wealthy, well-born doctor, Florentino is devastated, but he is a romantic. As he rises in his business career he whiles away the years in 622 affairs--yet he reserves his heart for Fermina. Her husband dies at last, and Florentino purposefully attends the funeral. Fifty years, nine months, and four days after he first declared his love for Fermina, he will do so again.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:24 -0400)

The story of a fantastic wedding, the return of the bride to her parents in disgrace, her brothers' resolve to seek revenge on her corruptor, and the townspeoples' refusal to depart from routine.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141189207, 0141032421, 0141037458

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,381,654 books! | Top bar: Always visible