Liefde in tijden van cholera by G. Garcia…

Liefde in tijden van cholera (1985)

by G. Garcia Marquez

20,61928772 (3.96)1 / 655
Member:CurlyUP
Title:Liefde in tijden van cholera
Authors:G. Garcia Marquez
Info:Meulenhoff, Uitgeverij (Paperback)

Love in The Time of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez (1985)

The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende (kiwiflowa, krizia_lazaro)
    kiwiflowa: The House of the Spirits - for some reason Library Thing will not link the book in English.
    The Hummingbird's Daughter by Luis Alberto Urrea (starfishian)
    One Night, Markovitch by Ayelet Gundar-Goshen (Lirmac)
    The River Midnight by Lilian Nattel (starfishian)
    The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Historical settings come alive in these novels about the complexities of life among close-knit high society social circles.
    The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (norabelle414)
    Somewhere Carnal over Forty Winks by Rom LcO'Feer (Anonymous user)

English (247)  Spanish (23)  Dutch (7)  German (2)  All (2)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  Hebrew (1)  All (285)
I liked the movie, but could tell there were good parts missing. I wasn't wrong.

I really love the way Marquez tells a story. His descriptions are delightful and his characters are lovable, with all their flaws. ( )
  Kitty.Cunningham | Jul 19, 2017 |
To quote John Lydon "this is not a love song."

Unlike many reviewers I have no moral outrage over Florentino's profligate ways. Lucky man to have such a regular stream of enthusiastic lovers. (I am leaving out his serial rape of a 13 year old whose life he ripped away. I don't really know what to do with that story-line.) I understand and accept fully the thought that one can be a love virgin while still getting laid on the regular, so that issue does not bug me in the least.

My issues were more pedestrian. I simply didn't like the book. This despite the fact that Garcia Marquez does with words what Henry Moore does with matter. He crafts forms that are simultaneously voluptuous and spare. His craft is undeniably spectacular. Yet I was not ever really involved in this story. Florentino, like all obsessive-compulsive people, was just pitiable. He created obsessions which served as an excuse for never committing to anything or anyone. That is at the heart of obsession, that ability to block off all the important things in the world by focusing on some random object. Fermina was a dot turned into his sun and stars to excuse his decision to remain a perpetual teenager. Constant sex was the compulsion that fed his obsessions. Florentino was boring and sterile. Fermina was also boring (though not sterile.) She was spiteful and flat and infantile. There was nothing approaching love between these people, and it made me sad to think that there are people who think this is what love is.

I appreciate the craft here, but I did not enjoy reading the book, and do not really understand why the author even wrote it. Perhaps I am missing something? ( )
  Narshkite | Jul 16, 2017 |
"Lo único que me duele de morir es que no sea de amor". García Márquez, G. ( )
  darioha | Jul 10, 2017 |
Marquez is such a masterful spinner of words that I could sometimes forget the tedious pace of narration towards the end. Still a wonderful meditation on love and its many forms - definitely readable. ( )
1 vote Soulmuser | May 30, 2017 |
I have had One Hundred Years of Solitude on my to-read list for a long time. Supposedly it's a "classic" every person should read. So, when this book, by the same author, came up as an available "read-alike" on my Overdrive account (I'm on the waiting list for 100 Years), I decided to give it a try. I finished it only because I had no other book on audio and I have a long commute.
Yawn! I will not be reading 100 Years, I don't think I'll ever read another book by this author. I found this one to be unnecessarily graphic and misogynistic and, frankly, boring. I did not like the characters, nor find them remotely believable. Not recommended. ( )
  JenW1 | Apr 19, 2017 |
Ik hou van mannen als Márquez. Wijze, erudiete mannen. Ze vertellen mij dat het niet verkeerd is om gematigd en rustig te zijn, of zelfs af en toe te twijfelen. In deze tijd van mediacratie, waar de makkelijk pratende mensen het voor het zeggen hebben, de vorm dus voor de inhoud gaat (en ik iedere keer merk dat ik, tot mijn grote ergernis, ook de neiging heb om aan die trend mee te doen) ervaar ik hen als een oase van rust. Een geruststellende hand op de schouder die zegt dat ik niet altijd op scherp hoef te staan en dat het misschien wel een goed idee is om even een pauze te nemen.
added by Jozefus | editNRC Handelsblad, Robin Booiman (pay site) (Apr 24, 2014)

Suppose, then, it were possible, not only to swear love ''forever,'' but actually to follow through on it - to live a long, full and authentic life based on such a vow, to put one's alloted stake of precious time where one's heart is? This is the extraordinary premise of Gabriel Garcia Marquez's new novel ''Love in the Time of Cholera,'' one on which he delivers, and triumphantly.

García Márquez, Gabrielprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Grossman, EdithTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Richardson, MatthewCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sabarte Belacortu, MarioleinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Valentinetti, Claudio M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Синянская, ЛюдмилаTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The words I am about to express:
They now have their own crowned goddess.

Leandro Diaz
In dieser Gegend geht’s voran:

die bekränzte Göttin zeigt es an.

Leandro Díaz
For Mercedes, of course
Natürlich für Mercedes
It was inevitable: the scent of bitter almonds always reminded him of the fate of unrequited love.
They were together in silence like an old married couple wary of life, beyond the pitfalls of passion, beyond the brutal mockery of hope and the phantoms of disillusion: beyond love. For they had lived together long enough to know that love was always love, anytime and anyplace, but it was more solid the closer it came to death.
She would not waste the rest of her years simmering in the maggot broth of memory

In their youth, Florentino Ariza and Fermina Daza fall passionately in love. When Fermina eventually chooses to marry a wealthy, well-born doctor, Florentino is devastated, but he is a romantic. As he rises in his business career he whiles away the years in 622 affairs--yet he reserves his heart for Fermina. Her husband dies at last, and Florentino purposefully attends the funeral. Fifty years, nine months, and four days after he first declared his love for Fermina, he will do so again.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:59 -0400)

The story of a fantastic wedding, the return of the bride to her parents in disgrace, her brothers' resolve to seek revenge on her corruptor, and the townspeoples' refusal to depart from routine.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141189207, 0141032421, 0141037458

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,072,082 books! | Top bar: Always visible