Love in the Time of Cholera (Oprah's…

Love in the Time of Cholera (Oprah's Book Club) (original 1985; edition 2007)

by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

20,54528672 (3.96)1 / 653
Member:CalvinBoesch
Title:Love in the Time of Cholera (Oprah's Book Club)
Authors:Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Info:Vintage (2007), Edition: later printing, Paperback, 368 pages

Love in The Time of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez (1985)

The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende (kiwiflowa, krizia_lazaro)
    kiwiflowa: The House of the Spirits - for some reason Library Thing will not link the book in English.
    The Hummingbird's Daughter by Luis Alberto Urrea (starfishian)
    One Night, Markovitch by Ayelet Gundar-Goshen (Lirmac)
    The River Midnight by Lilian Nattel (starfishian)
    The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Historical settings come alive in these novels about the complexities of life among close-knit high society social circles.
    The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (norabelle414)
    Somewhere Carnal over Forty Winks by Rom LcO'Feer (Anonymous user)

English (244)  Spanish (23)  Dutch (7)  German (2)  All (2)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  Hebrew (1)  All (282)
Marquez is such a masterful spinner of words that I could sometimes forget the tedious pace of narration towards the end. Still a wonderful meditation on love and its many forms - definitely readable. ( )
1 vote Soulmuser | May 30, 2017 |
I have had One Hundred Years of Solitude on my to-read list for a long time. Supposedly it's a "classic" every person should read. So, when this book, by the same author, came up as an available "read-alike" on my Overdrive account (I'm on the waiting list for 100 Years), I decided to give it a try. I finished it only because I had no other book on audio and I have a long commute.
Yawn! I will not be reading 100 Years, I don't think I'll ever read another book by this author. I found this one to be unnecessarily graphic and misogynistic and, frankly, boring. I did not like the characters, nor find them remotely believable. Not recommended. ( )
  JenW1 | Apr 19, 2017 |
exhausted... ( )
  liv_books | Apr 18, 2017 |
An overwhelming book about a man named Florentino who pines after the same woman for fifty years. At the beginning, it seems his affections are returned. They write letters to each other and plan to marry. Then, she calls it off, claiming their love was only an illusion. She marries someone else, a rich and well-liked doctor. Florentino is despondent. He has sex with anything that moves in a futile attempt to forget her. Then her husband dies, and he decides to try again.

This book was more than a little ridiculous. It was over-the-top and there was way too much sex for my liking. I had to skim past pages and pages of sex scenes. I was glad when it was over.

That said, there was something about it that I liked. Fermina was my favorite character; I loved how dignified she was and how adept she was at maintaining the house. To me, she seemed to have all the qualities a woman should have. I can see what Florentino saw in her. I did not like Florentino's character so much, though I do respect the author for giving us such a flawed protagonist. ( )
1 vote heart77 | Apr 13, 2017 |
In a recent conversation I agreed emphatically with a young woman who said that she would no longer spend time reading books she didn't like. I approved of this philosophy, because reading should be a pleasure, we all have different tastes, and I can't stand literary prescriptivists. I can't stand the people who act as if your choice of reading doesn't "count" if it's not smarty-pants, unreadable, "high" literary bullshit. This sounds disingenuous, I'm sure, given what my library on this website looks like, and given the fact that although I called this book "tar" in another review, I still slogged through till the very end. I'm not very good at not finishing what (books) I start.

I found the story flat, because Fermina Daza's appeal is impossible to reason out, because Florentino Ariza is in love with the desire to be deeply in love, and because the romanticizing and eventual success of overcoming "unrequited love" is almost as uninteresting as it is toxic.

Why did I read it all the way through when I disliked it so much, and when I only came across more repellent anecdotes the longer I read? I think because I recognised it as an Important Work (however loaded that very concept is, let alone the books contained within it) and needed to be able to talk about it and tell others about the fundamental problems of this book. It's coloured my response to [b:One Hundred Years of Solitude|320|One Hundred Years of Solitude|Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327881361s/320.jpg|3295655], for which I looked up my own review today and felt surprised at how generous I'd been with it. ( )
  likecymbeline | Apr 1, 2017 |
Ik hou van mannen als Márquez. Wijze, erudiete mannen. Ze vertellen mij dat het niet verkeerd is om gematigd en rustig te zijn, of zelfs af en toe te twijfelen. In deze tijd van mediacratie, waar de makkelijk pratende mensen het voor het zeggen hebben, de vorm dus voor de inhoud gaat (en ik iedere keer merk dat ik, tot mijn grote ergernis, ook de neiging heb om aan die trend mee te doen) ervaar ik hen als een oase van rust. Een geruststellende hand op de schouder die zegt dat ik niet altijd op scherp hoef te staan en dat het misschien wel een goed idee is om even een pauze te nemen.
added by Jozefus | editNRC Handelsblad, Robin Booiman (pay site) (Apr 24, 2014)

Suppose, then, it were possible, not only to swear love ''forever,'' but actually to follow through on it - to live a long, full and authentic life based on such a vow, to put one's alloted stake of precious time where one's heart is? This is the extraordinary premise of Gabriel Garcia Marquez's new novel ''Love in the Time of Cholera,'' one on which he delivers, and triumphantly.

García Márquez, Gabrielprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Grossman, EdithTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Richardson, MatthewCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sabarte Belacortu, MarioleinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Valentinetti, Claudio M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Синянская, ЛюдмилаTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The words I am about to express:
They now have their own crowned goddess.

Leandro Diaz
In dieser Gegend geht’s voran:

die bekränzte Göttin zeigt es an.

Leandro Díaz
For Mercedes, of course
Natürlich für Mercedes
It was inevitable: the scent of bitter almonds always reminded him of the fate of unrequited love.
They were together in silence like an old married couple wary of life, beyond the pitfalls of passion, beyond the brutal mockery of hope and the phantoms of disillusion: beyond love. For they had lived together long enough to know that love was always love, anytime and anyplace, but it was more solid the closer it came to death.
She would not waste the rest of her years simmering in the maggot broth of memory

In their youth, Florentino Ariza and Fermina Daza fall passionately in love. When Fermina eventually chooses to marry a wealthy, well-born doctor, Florentino is devastated, but he is a romantic. As he rises in his business career he whiles away the years in 622 affairs--yet he reserves his heart for Fermina. Her husband dies at last, and Florentino purposefully attends the funeral. Fifty years, nine months, and four days after he first declared his love for Fermina, he will do so again.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:59 -0400)

The story of a fantastic wedding, the return of the bride to her parents in disgrace, her brothers' resolve to seek revenge on her corruptor, and the townspeoples' refusal to depart from routine.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141189207, 0141032421, 0141037458

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,155,525 books! | Top bar: Always visible