Mansfield Park by Jane Austen

Mansfield Park (original 1814; edition 1996)

by Jane Austen

17,096285163 (3.83)5 / 1008
Member:judithsweet
Title:Mansfield Park
Authors:Jane Austen
Info:Signet Classic (1996), Paperback
Tags:currently own, keeping

Mansfield Park by Jane Austen (1814)

Agnes Grey by Anne Brontë (Medellia)
    Medellia: Both books have sweet, shy, thoroughly virtuous protagonists, if you're a fan of that sort of character. (I am, and loved both novels!)
    Lover's Vows by Elizabeth Inchbald (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: The play they are rehearsing in Mansfield Park. Worth a quick skim.
    Celia's House by D. E. Stevenson (atimco)
    atimco: Very similar plot.

English (272)  Italian (4)  Swedish (2)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  Piratical (1)  German (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (284)
A master storyteller at the height of her powers with Mansfield Park the superior textual quality of Austen's writing and her skill at distilling what possesses the heart & mind of each of her characters whilst exploring societal issues of the era alongside gracefully set out background is apparent on every page.
My one reservation is this particular publication's really AWFUL Cover! ( )
  tommi180744 | Jan 19, 2019 |
Not as exciting as other well known books by Jane Austen (Pride & Prejudice and Sense & Sensibility) but a good listen either way. Out of those three this is the one I'm least likely to read/listen again.
  Esther27H | Jan 17, 2019 |
Not my favorite Jane Austen book. The heroine is too perfect and the characters are not as interesting and multidimensional as in other Jane Austen books. ( )
  KamGeb | Jan 14, 2019 |
A few days ago a friendly woman I know approached me at the library and asked some questions about a seminar she was doing. Her central dilemma was choosing a subject for work that was supposed to deal with both feminism and literature.
For almost an hour I offered her subjects until finally when I machined Austin, the girl stopped me and her eyes opened. After we parted, I pulled this book out of the bookshelf again and without realizing it, for almost two days I reread it.

I will be honest. I read Mansfield Park three years ago. Then in those days of reading, I was very bored from the beginning of the book until I almost didn't want to keep on reading it.

three years had passed since and...
Well, now you'll have to read my review until it ends:)

As for the plot itself, in the early 21st century, the book doesn't look particularly gloomy, nor can it be perceived as scandalous, even though it has a marriage that collapses when one of the characters escapes with her lover. This shocking news causes the heroine of the novel a panic attack, but nowadays it is doubtful whether it would raise eyebrows. It is true that from the beginning of the 19th century to the present, the Western world has changed quite a lot, and Austen nevertheless writes the old codes of modesty above all else. And yet it is lovely writing, especially the art of her superior dialogues. She manages to be simultaneously witty, natural and intelligent when she reveals with subtle delicacy what the characters themselves cannot admit.

The Book tells the story of Fanny Price, a poor girl sent to a wealthy family, among them she knows Edmond, the sensitive child who at the same time has become the object of her love. She also meets with the brothers Henry and Mary who in their devious ways mess everything. The book discusses criticism of the Anglican Church and is again designed to criticize the hypocritical society.

At the last chapter, the book suddenly gains artificial momentum and is painted with a somewhat legendary twist. Everything ends too the best, the romantic way. As I mentioned, the first time I read the book it bored me, however, it is also very different from the other books I used to reading and thanks to the sudden change and dialogue sages - it becomes something worth reading. ( )
  mazalbracha | Jan 12, 2019 |
This girl does have a way with words.. Once you leave the 21st century and relax into the flow of of Fanny Price's world you are treated to a subtle and insightful view of the lives of the "rich and famous" albiet 200 years ago. Certainly not a fast paced story but the characters are interesting (if not always liked) and the good guys win. ( )
  TheWasp | Jan 4, 2019 |

Austen, Janeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Agujari Bonacossa, DianaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Alfsen, MereteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bonacossa della Valle di Casanova, EsterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Chapman, R. W.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

Is parodied in

Is replied to in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

About thirty years ago, Miss Maria Ward of Huntingdon, with only seven thousand pounds, had the good luck to captivate Sir Thomas Bertram, of Mansfield Park, in the county of Northampton, and to be thereby raised to the rank of a baronet's lady, with all the comforts and consequences of an handsome house and large income.
Mansfield Park is Jane Austen's most dramatic and disturbing work. (Introduction)
But there certainly are not so many men of large fortune in the world, as there are pretty women to deserve them.
It is Fanny that I think of all day and dream of all night.

Adopted by the rich Bertrams, Fanny finds her bold cousins are daunting, her aunts and the remote Sir Thomas intimidating. Only thoughtful Edmund recognises her qualities and helps to improve her lot. But when the delightful Mr and Miss Crawford arrive to enliven the family group, even he dismisses Fanny's reservations. At first all is excitement and pleasure. Gradually, however, the effects of recklessness and selfishness accumulate. As Fanny's unswerving integrity and quiet strength become the support of the shattered family, she finds a happiness she could not have anticipated. While displaying the sparkle and clarity for which Jane Austen is renowned, the tone here is often sober and uncompromising. The issues of probity and responsibility are explored, alongside the often unhappy complexities of family life, in a considerable and profoundly satisfying novel.
A maid of pure heart,
Enduring persecution,
Her wisdom triumphs.
(hillaryrose7)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0141439807, Paperback)

Though Jane Austen was writing at a time when Gothic potboilers such as Ann Ward Radcliffe's The Mysteries of Udolpho and Horace Walpole's The Castle of Otranto were all the rage, she never got carried away by romance in her own novels. In Austen's ordered world, the passions that ruled Gothic fiction would be horridly out of place; marriage was, first and foremost, a contract, the bedrock of polite society. Certain rules applied to who was eligible and who was not, how one courted and married and what one expected afterwards. To flout these rules was to tear at the basic fabric of society, and the consequences could be terrible. Each of the six novels she completed in her lifetime are, in effect, comic cautionary tales that end happily for those characters who play by the rules and badly for those who don't. In Mansfield Park, for example, Austen gives us Fanny Price, a poor young woman who has grown up in her wealthy relatives' household without ever being accepted as an equal. The only one who has truly been kind to Fanny is Edmund Bertram, the younger of the family's two sons.

Into this Cinderella existence comes Henry Crawford and his sister, Mary, who are visiting relatives in the neighborhood. Soon Mansfield Park is given over to all kinds of gaiety, including a daring interlude spent dabbling in theatricals. Young Edmund is smitten with Mary, and Henry Crawford woos Fanny. Yet these two charming, gifted, and attractive siblings gradually reveal themselves to be lacking in one essential Austenian quality: principle. Without good principles to temper passion, the results can be disastrous, and indeed, Mansfield Park is rife with adultery, betrayal, social ruin, and ruptured friendships. But this is a comedy, after all, so there is also a requisite happy ending and plenty of Austen's patented gentle satire along the way. Describing the switch in Edmund's affections from Mary to Fanny, she writes: "I purposely abstain from dates on this occasion, that everyone may be at liberty to fix their own, aware that the cure of unconquerable passions, and the transfer of unchanging attachments, must vary much as to time in different people." What does not vary is the pleasure with which new generations come to Jane Austen. --Alix Wilber

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:55 -0400)

Fanny Price, a teenaged girl of low social rank brought up on her wealthy relatives' countryside estate, feels the sharp sting of rejection when her cousin Edmund, the only person who treats her as an equal, is won over by a flirtatious, exciting--and unprincipled--London girl.… (more)

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439807, 0141028149, 0451531116, 0141197706, 0141199873

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909175927, 1909175536

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,681,847 books! | Top bar: Always visible