Mansfield Park by Jane Austen

Mansfield Park (original 1814; edition 2012)

by Jane Austen

14,915242131 (3.84)5 / 906
Member:gooutsideandplay
Title:Mansfield Park
Authors:Jane Austen
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2012), Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:Kindle collection
Tags:Guardian 1000 Novels

Mansfield Park by Jane Austen (1814)

Agnes Grey by Anne Brontë (Medellia)
    Medellia: Both books have sweet, shy, thoroughly virtuous protagonists, if you're a fan of that sort of character. (I am, and loved both novels!)
    Lover's Vows (Dodo Press) by Elizabeth Inchbald (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: The play they are rehearsing in Mansfield Park. Worth a quick skim.
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (dreamydress48)
    dreamydress48: Scandal is the word of the day!

English (231)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (2)  Italian (2)  Dutch (1)  Hebrew (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (240)
If this wasn't Austen, and as such peppered with her wonderful turn of phrase, I would probably have hated this. I can't stand a single one of these characters, particularly Fanny. I previously stated that I have a special love for Austen's self-sacrificing characters. Fanny goes too far in that regard. She's a sanctimonious little prig, and I hope she went on to lead a miserable life. ( )
  thebookmagpie | Jan 30, 2016 |
  hoegbottom | Jan 30, 2016 |
  hoegbottom | Jan 30, 2016 |
It's one of my favourite Austen novels - a gentle romance with some lovely ironic humour in some of the caricatured minor characters.

As with most of Austen's books it's a character-driven village-style novel that revolves around the main characters and their closest friends, but unlike the rather dreary 'Emma', which I read a few months ago, 'Mansfield Park' is light, reasonably fast-pace (by Austen's standards, anyway!) and has a fair amount of action.

Long-winded in places, admittedly, but on the whole very enjoyable. My Pan Classics version did have some useful notes about language and customs of the day, as well as the plot spoilers which I didn't read until I had finished the book - and was very glad that I was able to avoid them since there were some surprises and clever twists before the - inevitably satisfactory - ending. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
I doubt that this is anyone's favorite Austen. The unrelievedly dreary and bored aristocrats, the incompetent and unholy clergy, and the all-to-perfect hero and heroine all work against it. Still, there is Austen's skilled, balanced prose, and her wittily observant social satire to keep it from being merely a longish rags to riches romance. ( )
  sjnorquist | Jan 19, 2016 |

Has the adaptation

Is parodied in

Is replied to in

Inspired

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

About thirty years ago, Miss Maria Ward of Huntingdon, with only seven thousand pounds, had the good luck to captivate Sir Thomas Bertram, of Mansfield Park, in the county of Northampton, and to be thereby raised to the rank of a baronet's lady, with all the comforts and consequences of an handsome house and large income.
But there certainly are not so many men of large fortune in the world, as there are pretty women to deserve them.
It is Fanny that I think of all day and dream of all night.
This is an Ignatius Critical Edition, and has substantial commentary besides the novel.

Adopted by the rich Bertrams, Fanny finds her bold cousins are daunting, her aunts and the remote Sir Thomas intimidating. Only thoughtful Edmund recognises her qualities and helps to improve her lot. But when the delightful Mr and Miss Crawford arrive to enliven the family group, even he dismisses Fanny's reservations. At first all is excitement and pleasure. Gradually, however, the effects of recklessness and selfishness accumulate. As Fanny's unswerving integrity and quiet strength become the support of the shattered family, she finds a happiness she could not have anticipated. While displaying the sparkle and clarity for which Jane Austen is renowned, the tone here is often sober and uncompromising. The issues of probity and responsibility are explored, alongside the often unhappy complexities of family life, in a considerable and profoundly satisfying novel.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0141439807, Paperback)

Though Jane Austen was writing at a time when Gothic potboilers such as Ann Ward Radcliffe's The Mysteries of Udolpho and Horace Walpole's The Castle of Otranto were all the rage, she never got carried away by romance in her own novels. In Austen's ordered world, the passions that ruled Gothic fiction would be horridly out of place; marriage was, first and foremost, a contract, the bedrock of polite society. Certain rules applied to who was eligible and who was not, how one courted and married and what one expected afterwards. To flout these rules was to tear at the basic fabric of society, and the consequences could be terrible. Each of the six novels she completed in her lifetime are, in effect, comic cautionary tales that end happily for those characters who play by the rules and badly for those who don't. In Mansfield Park, for example, Austen gives us Fanny Price, a poor young woman who has grown up in her wealthy relatives' household without ever being accepted as an equal. The only one who has truly been kind to Fanny is Edmund Bertram, the younger of the family's two sons.

Into this Cinderella existence comes Henry Crawford and his sister, Mary, who are visiting relatives in the neighborhood. Soon Mansfield Park is given over to all kinds of gaiety, including a daring interlude spent dabbling in theatricals. Young Edmund is smitten with Mary, and Henry Crawford woos Fanny. Yet these two charming, gifted, and attractive siblings gradually reveal themselves to be lacking in one essential Austenian quality: principle. Without good principles to temper passion, the results can be disastrous, and indeed, Mansfield Park is rife with adultery, betrayal, social ruin, and ruptured friendships. But this is a comedy, after all, so there is also a requisite happy ending and plenty of Austen's patented gentle satire along the way. Describing the switch in Edmund's affections from Mary to Fanny, she writes: "I purposely abstain from dates on this occasion, that everyone may be at liberty to fix their own, aware that the cure of unconquerable passions, and the transfer of unchanging attachments, must vary much as to time in different people." What does not vary is the pleasure with which new generations come to Jane Austen. --Alix Wilber

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:55 -0400)

Fanny Price, a teenaged girl of low social rank brought up on her wealthy relatives' countryside estate, feels the sharp sting of rejection when her cousin Edmund, the only person who treats her as an equal, is won over by a flirtatious, exciting--and unprincipled--London girl.… (more)

6 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439807, 0140431020, 0141028149, 0451531116, 0141197706, 0141199873

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,132,653 books! | Top bar: Always visible