The Walk: Clear Direction and Spiritual…

The Walk: Clear Direction and Spiritual Power for Your Life

by Shaun Alexander

24None440,720 (4.19)2

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a memoir about the spiritual life of a successful professional running back for the Seattle Seahawks. About the only information that you get on his football career is that he played for his Florence, Kentucky high school and earned a scholarship to play college football for the University of Alabama. After college he was signed in the first round of the draft to play for the Seattle Seahawks. In his sixth season with the Seahawks, he had a breakout (his term) year (2005) while setting some team records and some NFL records and was named the NFL Most Valuable Player. That is like Barry Bonds saying that between 1986 and 2007, he hit some home runs. But this book is about Shaun Alexander's walking with God and how through a strong faith you can overcome obstacles to being a Christian believer.
Shaun says that walking with God begins with putting order in your life and through this order God will walk with us through things that are painful, confusing, difficult, inspiring and glorious. There are five steps in walking with God. They are: the unbeliever, the believer, the example, the teacher, and the imparter. You can live that life of a Christian with confidence, but we all have to go through these steps in one way or another. Shaun gives plenty of examples of success and failure as he walks with God. He also tells us of the acts of the apostle Peter (using bible scripture for reference) and Shaun's interpretation of these historic stories of Jesus Christ and his disciples. Over and over he reasons that the life of Jesus Christ is our prime example of God extending his love for man and God's wishes for our faith.
This book lists both Shaun Alexander and Joe Hilley as authors. Joe Hilley being a ghost writer who made the sentences complete and the verbs agree with the nouns but the story is all Shaun Alexander. It will not win any awards for literature but it contains a great amount of thruth. ( )
  mrkurtz | Mar 23, 2011 |
This is an amazing book. The power that it is packed in the simplicity of this book is immense. I found myself reading a few sections and then putting the book down to meditate on what I read. I also found that as I did so each section was exactly what I needed to read at that exact time.

As to the book itself, the chapters flow beautifully and the subject matter is very well written. Each section builds on the other and Mr. Alexander has a very teachable style of writing that draws the read and maintains attention very well.

I really enjoyed how Mr. Alexander used personal testimony from his life to show how his walk has brought about a God-blessed life.

I highly recommend this book.

*I received this book as a complimentary copy via Waterbrook Multnomah. The opinions expressed are my own.* ( )
  cheetosrapper | Mar 12, 2011 |
"The Walk," a Geography Lesson

Shaun Alexander—an outstanding professional athlete—gave me a geography lesson on the land of Spiritual Maturity. No short cuts can take a person through this territory. It’s a mountainous region and everyone starts at the bottom as an Unbeliever. Walking is the only mode of transportation and Shaun Alexander describes the marks of a citizen of each region and identifies the trial, traps, and victories found there. He uses the Apostle Peter as his biblical example of spiritual growth from the valley to the peak.

As a senior citizen and a woman who never played in any sport, I was skeptical that I would be able to relate to Shaun Alexander’s book. By the end of the second chapter, I knew that I was wrong. We share the only thing that matters: a strong desire to bring glory to God by walking close to Him and discovering the adventures He prepared for us. I strongly recommend this book for anyone interested in a dynamic discussion of spiritual maturity. ( )
  LynndaEll | Mar 7, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really enjoyed reading ‘The Walk’ by Shaun Alexander. It is definitely a book that I will reread and take time to contemplate and comprehend more of what is said in the book. I especially liked the five stages of spiritual maturity (Unbelievers, Believers, Examples, Teachers, and Imparters) that he so profoundly discussed in the book. I will go back and study more on how one leads to the next and they all grow together. This book has helped me remember how important everything I do is, not just to myself, but to all those that see my actions. Thank you so much for allowing me the opportunity to review this very good book.
  sdmurphy53 | Feb 23, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
As a long time University of Alabama and Seattle Seahawks fan, I followed the football career of running back Shaun Alexander with great interest. He first caught my attention in the fall of 1996 when, as a freshman, he ran for over 300 yards in leading the Crimson Tide to a victory over LSU. In 1999, he was a major contributor in leading his team to a Southeastern Conference championship. 2005 was Alexander's best year in the NFL as he led the Seahawks to the Super Bowl and won the NFL's Most Valuable Player award.

However, The Walk, is not about football, except in the most incidental of ways. After football, Shaun may be doing his most important work as a religious speaker and Bible teacher at churches, conferences, and other venues across the country. This book shows why what he has to say gets such a receptive audience. He is a gifted communicator and his message needs to be heard.

The book's twenty chapters are grouped into six sections: The Unbeliever, The Believer, The Example, The Teacher, The Imparter, and Walking the Walk. Shaun inspires and encourages as well as teaches. Most readers who finish this book will come away with a heightened interest in actually being real Christians rather than simply identifying themselves by that label.

Let me acknowledge that I disagree with Mr. Alexander's interpretation of some important Bible truths. That is my only reservation about recommending this book. However to anyone who is able to discern whether or not religious teaching is biblically accurate, I urge the reading of this book without any hesitation. There is a great deal of worthwhile reading in The Walk. Read with an appreciation of your responsibility as a reader to "search the Scriptures to see if these things are true" (cf. Acts 17:11), but by all means read and enjoy the good things in Shaun Alexander's book. ( )
  johnfgaines | Dec 25, 2010 |

Are you walking with God, dragging your feet, or running ahead of Him? Take the first step in living at God's pace.

When you start walking with God, it’s easy to misplace the emphasis. You might think it’s about seeking perfection or impressing God with your level of commitment. But God isn’t looking for perfection, and no matter how hard you try, you will never be able to impress him.

Walking with God is exactly what it says: God invites you to get in step with what he is doing in the world. When you walk with God, you allow him to set the pace for every aspect of your life. And that is when you discover faith and strength that overcome doubt, fear, and temptation.

Let Shaun Alexander help you get started on the greatest adventure possible. If you are ready to know God as your Walking Companion, you are ready to begin The Walk.

God invites you to grow through five stages of spiritual maturity

Walking with God is not a contest or a competition, and it has nothing to do with how you look in front of others. Your walk with Christ is the most extreme, dangerous, and  intimate adventure you will ever be part of. But all you have to do is walk, which takes you to a place where it’s not about you—instead, you will become part of something that is much bigger than anything you canimagine.

God leads his followers through five stages of spiritual maturity. He begins by working in us even before we trust him, drawing us while we are still Unbelievers. He walks with us when we become Believers, training us so that we can grow to live as Examples of Christ. He works with Examples, showing them how to explain what they believe and making them Teachers. And God calls some Teachers to serve as Imparters, those who do the miraculous work of Jesus on earth.

While our tendency is to run ahead of God or lag behind, just walking with God through the stages of spiritual maturity will transform your life with biblical wisdom, God’s direction, and the power of the Holy Spirit. With God at your side, your life will have an unprecedented impact on others.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:20:25 -0400)

Bible teacher and former professional football player Shaun Alexander describes five stages of spiritual maturity and shares his thoughts on the benefits of walking with God.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Walk by Shaun Alexander was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,508,029 books! | Top bar: Always visible