What Happened to Cass McBride? by Gail Giles

What Happened to Cass McBride?

by Gail Giles

Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott (weener)
    weener: Both about teenage girls trying to free themselves from extremely difficult situations.
    The Rag and Bone Shop (Readers Circle) by Robert Cormier (weener)

English (69)  Dutch (1)  All languages (70)
The book “What happened to Cass McBride” by Gail Giles is an exciting, and intense story about one girl’s disappearance. Told from three different point of views, “What happened to Cass McBride” tells ideas of revenge, misunderstanding, and self-hatred. In the book Cass McBride wrote a note about a kid named David, who is a different and troubled young man that seems to steers him to suicide. Divide’s brother, Kyle, snapped and kid naps her. After blaming Cass for the death of his brother. Kyle puts her in a box 6 feet underground, breathing though a PVC pipe. young adults should read “What Happened to Cass McBride”. One of the main reason this book is worthy of reading is the amount of excitement and intensity. For example the very first line creates a big picture of suspense, “she’s dead, isn’t she? If she wasn’t alive, I wouldn’t be hand cuffed to a table in an interview room” (pg 1). This exciting first line creates suspense for the reader just starting the book because it gives a sense of intensity right in the start of the book, and makes the reader want to keep reading and to see what is happening in the book. Another example of suspense is when Kyle explains why he kidnaped and burying he alive, “I wanted her to lose her cool…trying to figure out where she was. Then I’d start the torcher” (pg 11). This quote shows suspense for the reader because it shows the unstableness of Kyle, and how he wants to torture Cass. There are not some things that are not favorable about this book, for example there isn’t a lot of descriptive details, but there is enough for you to get the big picture. And for some readers the language might not be that enjoyable, but it is used only when it’s necessary. Over all “What happened to Cass McBride” is a great book for readers of all ages, and it will constantly keep you on the edge of your seat.
  austinb1401 | Jun 18, 2015 |
What Happened To Cass McBride?
By: Gail Giles
This is about a girl name Cass McBride she got kidnapped by Kyle Kirby and he trapped her inside a box buried underground. Earlier before that happened, Cass McBride was being funny and was talking about David Kirby, Kyle Kirby’s little brother and Cass McBride put the note inside a desk then David found and read the note and hung himself on a tree. Ben is a cop who is trying to investigate what happened to Cass McBride and David Kirby and who is the kidnapper. I believe that next year’s 8th graders should read What Happened to Cass McBride? By Gail Giles because it is an example for kids to be safe and watch their surroundings and not to bully anyone cause you don’t know what can happen.
I think 8th graders next year should read this book because this book is an example for kids to be safe and watch their surroundings. In this book it states “David Kirby’s funeral was this morning. I didn’t go. It would look beyond strange if I did. I wasn’t sure he’d…. done what he did cause of a stupid note”. This shows that Cass needs to watch what she says because it’ll backfire. This evidence shows how 8th Graders next year should read this book Cass McBride by Gail Giles because kids need to be safe and watch their surroundings and watch who you trust and hang around cause anyone can just stab you in your back without you knowing.
Another reason, why I think 8th graders next year should read this book is because the suspense and thriller in it. In the book Cass states” fighting my coffin would kill me quicker than accepting it”. I like this because it talks about how she is more stuck and scared and mixed with many emotions and thoughts and how it’s really like what’s going to happen next is she going to die or get killed. This evidence shows how 8th Graders next year should read this book Cass McBride by Gail Giles because of the suspense, thriller, and shocking events.
There is one reason why I think 8th Graders should not read this book by Gail Giles is because of the violent language inside of this book. In the book Kyle Kirby states “Pay Fucking Attention” (124). Also states “No shit, Sherlock” (125). These are two examples of bad language inside of this book. This is bad but it’s not the reason why kids shouldn’t read this book next year it is a wonderful book also the swearing in this book also shows the intense of the story and how the character is expressing him/hers feelings.
Next year’s 8th Graders should read this book because the suspense the thriller the intense and Shocking events. Also to show why kids need to watch their surroundings. This is important because some kids needs to not only read this book because of the suspense and thriller but also look beyond the picture and think WOW I don’t want to be like Cass or David that’s why it is not good to bully anyway cause you won’t know how it will turn out the next day.
  Kayla123456 | Jun 18, 2015 |
What Happened to Cass McBride?

In the book what happened to Cass McBride by Gail Giles is an intriguing and mysterious novel. In the book a girl named Cass is a self-centered person how doesn’t care about other peoples feelings. She wrote a note about a kid named David Kirby that said he is too low in society for her to even talk to him. When he read it he killed him-self. His brother kid napped her and buried her alive. Yes I think next years 8th graders should read this book.
I think they should read it because of all the perspectives. Each chapter is a different perspective from Cass, Kyle or Ben. For example Casses chapters is when she is in the coffin and Bens chapters is him trying to solve the case. Kyles chapters are about him talking to cass and torturing her in the coffin. I like the perspectives because I like seeing through the characters eyes.
One reason why someone might not like this book is because all of the swearing such as the f word and s word. But the words are appropriate for the situations.
  shane1527 | Jun 18, 2015 |
The book “what happened to Cass McBride” by Gail Giles is a up and down roller costar. The topic of this book is based around kidnapping, death and relationships which all three are exciting. The main characters are Kyle who is kidnapping Cass, Cass is the one being kidnapped and Ben the detective who is working on Cass’s case. Next year’s 8th graders should read this book.

One of the reasons why 8th graders should read this book is because of Cass fighting back. She says “fighting my coffin would kill me quicker than accepting it” (p.45).This shows Cass is always fighting for what she wants but if she fights physically she could end up dead so she has to fight by using her mouth. An example of Cass fighting back with her mouth is “It’s all about control. Kyle has physical control. I have to get mental control. That starts with me. I have to get the control.”(46) This shows Cass is being brave and powerful. This means to me that if Cass can do it anyone can with the right outlook. So that’s why next year’s 8th grader should red this because of Cass fighting back and taking control of any situation.

Some people might say that is book is awful because of how the book is structured. The novel is structured in a different way because it can be confusing with having the chapter being (Kyle. Cass. Ben) and the characters telling their perspective on different day. However it’s a good way to structure the novel because it all makes sense at the end because the author put the characters all on the same day so it’s not confusing. Plus it’s good way to structure the novel because of the suspense.

So that’s why the 8th graders should read “What happened to Cass McBride” because of the kidnapping, deaths and relationships. Also for Cass being brave with the kidnapping. This book review hopefully shows that the novel is really great.
  shawna_nicole | Jun 17, 2015 |
Book review for what happened to Cass McBride?

I think that the book what happened to Cass McBride is a good way to strengthen reading habits, like how we had to find perspective of who is telling their story at what time in the book. I think next year’s 8th graders should read the book because it builds stamina.
In the book Cass McBride goose missing and everyone is looking for her, really Cass McBride was trying to deal for her life with a boy named Kyle. Kyle’s brother David had committed suicide the year before. David had committed suicide because of the note from Cass that said how she thought he was gay and how they were from two different social classes, and how she thought he was joking when he asked her out. Kyle wanted to get revenge on his brother’s death, after Cass had talked to him about who forced David, they both discovered that it was actually David’s mother.
I like how they change the characters thoughts every other chapter, because if you can give you an idea about how one person is acting verses the other. I also like how the character has flashbacks because if you’re paying action then you’ll comprehend the text in a better way.
In the book when Cass says that her dad never would stop working and that she learned about getting in someone’s head and being able to sell an idea easily, “Right now, you’re shooting yourself with his gun, accept the fear and deal with it. Just fuckin’ deal (45)”. I like this quote because she uses the skill that her dad taught her to sell herself the idea of trying to calm down and get a grip of trying to talk herself out of what Kyle had dragged her into.
When Kyle tells his part, (questioned by the police) he keeps saying to the police “you guys going to let me tell the story the way that I want to tell it now (30).” This quote shows that no matter what the cops said or threatened him with, he wanted to tell the story his way, not theirs.
I think that this book should be read by next year’s 8th graders because it shows them ways to strengthen reading habits, and build stamina.
Meghan Baldwin ( )
  Meghan208 | Jun 16, 2015 |
Always and always and always for Jim Giles and Josh Jakubik, my heroes.
Ze is dood, hè?
Ik stapte in mijn wagen en reed plankgas naar huis. Ik graaide een stuk touw uit de achterbak. Dat ligt er altijd wel. Ik wilde haar niet begraven. Ik wilde haar aan diezelfde boom opgangen zodat de buren het allemaal zouden zien. Pa was er natuurlijk niet. Ik smeet de voordeur achter me dicht, liep de keuken in en pakte een van de grote messen uit het blok op het aanrecht. Ma krijste al. Ze riep of ik het was. Ma schreeuwde dat ze hoofdpijn had. Kon ik daar niet een beetje rekening mee houden?

"The setting is claustrophobic, the characters are complex and the story will keep readers on the edge of their seats," KLIATT raved of this vivid, fast-paced psychological thriller in a starred review. Kyle Kirby has planned a cruel and unusual revenge on Cass McBride, the most popular girl in school, for the death of his brother David. He digs a hole. Kidnaps Cass. Puts her in a box--underground. He buries her alive. But lying in the deepest dark, Cass finds a weapon: she uses the power of words to keep her nemesis talking--and herself breathing--during the most harrowing 48 hours of her life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:37 -0400)

After his younger brother commits suicide, Kyle Kirby decides to exact revenge on the person he holds responsible.

38 wanted3 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,467,004 books! | Top bar: Always visible