What Happened to Cass McBride? by Gail Giles

What Happened to Cass McBride?

by Gail Giles

Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott (weener)
    weener: Both about teenage girls trying to free themselves from extremely difficult situations.
    The Rag and Bone Shop (Readers Circle) by Robert Cormier (weener)

English (61)  Dutch (1)  All languages (62)
This is a great page turning books as the chapters are short and each chapter leaves the reader wanting more. As a result, it makes for a quick read. The book is about a popular girl who is taken in the middle of the night by one of her classmates brothers and then is buried alive. Kyle, the brother, blames Cass for his brother David's death and wants to make her suffer like his brother suffered. However, while they the two talk, Kyle realizes that Cass is not the one to blame for his brothers death, but another character in the story. The story has a surprise ending that will make readers think. ( )
  natalie.loy | Jun 2, 2014 |
This book was so interesting! It's about this girl, Cass, who gets burried alive by the brother of a boy who he thinks died because of Cass and therefore wants revenge. But they can communicate with each other because he wants her to suffer even more like that but Cass tries to talk him out of this. I thought the idea behind this book was really unique and I liked the way it was written, also the fact that it wasn't just serious but also funny in a way because of those cops. So it's a really thrilling read! ( )
  JustSitAndWooui | Mar 1, 2014 |
This book was ok.

It is about guy named Kyle who blamed his brother David's suicide on girl named Cass McBride. Cass McBride turned David down when he asked her out. That wasn't all. She also wrote a nasty mean note about him to her friend which he found. Then he hung himself. Kyle who is in extreme grief kidnapped Cass and buried her alive. The rest of the book is about Cass trying to talk her way out of death by trying to get Kyle to let her go. The story is told in 3 POVs. Cass's pov is when she is in the box buried alive and talking to Kyle. Kyle's pov is when he is arrested and being interrogated by the police. The Third POV is that of Ben Grey who is the lead police officer in Cass' kidnapping case and his pov is the police investigation of her disappearance.

I have to say I really didn't like any of the characters except for David who we learn about through the other characters. His home life is atrocious, with his verbally abusing mother following him around the house, making nasty and mean remarks. The poor guy was a loner and miserable. Cass' note was what pushed him over the edge to kill himself. I really feel sorry for him and sympathize with him.

Cass is a bitch. She is the classic mean popular girl that is in every high school, real or fiction. We all know the girl from experience~ the beautiful girl with the perfect hair and clothes, who is rich and has everything she wants. And she is as mean as satan, making fun of everyone, putting people down and thinks she is better then everyone else. Yes Cass is this bitch. She ripped David apart in her note to her friend, saying "how dare he ask her out". Are you f****** kidding me! Man I wanted to punch her the face and kick her in the ribs. Her description of him was degrading and cruel. Personally I feel like she got exactly what she deserved and that it wasn't painful enough. I despise bullies and that was what Cass was. Even her best friend though she was too mean. She needed to come down from her high horse and get kicked in the face with its hoof. Too bad she did't die, but hey now she has to live with the trauma of what happened. Good.. I have no sympathy for Cass McBride and she got everything she deserved.

Kyle and David's mom is another rancid bitch who needs putting down. She was horrible to David ever since he was little. She refused to feed him when he was five and he had to find food to eat in the house by himself. She should be shot for that alone. She was neglectful and verbally abusive to David. She blamed David for "ruining" her life and took everything out on him. She was very nasty. It's sick because there are real people like this in the world. She is more guilty than Cass and she needed to be eliminated, stat.

I didn't really care about the cops pov. Most of it wasn't interesting and I don't know why it was put as a pov.

I didn't really like Kyle but I did sympathize with him. His life was s*** because of his mother and what she did to him and especially David. His father was no help; he left often because of his job and he knew exactly what his wife was doing to his children and did nothing to stop it. In my eyes he is as guilty as Cass is. Kyle tired his best to protect his brother and help him even though he did sometimes get frustrated and wanted out. I think his plan of torture for Cass is brilliant. I know that if anyone hurts any of my family members, they better run and hide, because I'm coming after them with everything I got. I'm not a violent person but this book got to me. My brother is in high school and if someone treated him like the way people treated David, those people better watch out. I get very emotional when reading books like this because this stuff really happens in real life. And like I said before I have no sympathy for bullies and mean people. They should be thrown in jail or worse.

This review is also posted on Spantalian's Book Reviews
  spantalian12 | Jan 10, 2014 |
Reviewed by: Dylan (Class of 2013)

How would it feel to be trapped in a box underground? When Cass found herself trapped in a box underground she was terrified and had nothing to do but panic. She panicked so much that she tore the skin off of her fingers just so the pain would block out the reality of what was happening. Why was she trapped in this box? Why was she being tortured like this? Well, Kyle did all of this. When Kyle’s little brother David asked out the most popular girl in school, princess, and soon to be homecoming queen, Cass McBride, to a date at the miniature golf course he gets rejected.

The rejection itself wasn’t so bad; in fact she was very nice about it she tried not to hurt David’s feelings, but what happened after the rejection is what put Cass and David six feet under. Cass wrote a mean, selfish, and disturbing note about the rejection to her friend and David happened to find it. It hurt him so bad that he hung himself by a big oak tree in his front yard. As revenge for the incident, Kyle, David’s older brother put Cass in a box underground; burying her alive. The only way for her to get out is to get inside Kyle’s head and make him realize that it wasn’t just her that made David do this; there were other factors that led to his death and Kyle may be one of them.

The author of "What happened to Cass McBride?" is Gail Giles. Gail Giles wrote this book during her last winter in Alaska. She wrote it because the snow around her house was so high that when she looked out her windows all she could see was snow and it was dark. She couldn’t leave her house and she felt trapped; she felt as if she were buried alive. That is what inspired her to write this book.

In my opinion this book was very good. Gail Giles did a good job writing this book, she put everything in great description and in great detail. She made the topic seem interesting and the characters so real. Like most books, this book takes a few pages to get interesting, but once it got interesting it stayed that way for the rest of the book. The author drew you in and kept your nose in the book until it was over. I like the way the author changed the person who was telling the story throughout the book so you can get the mindset and opinions of all the characters. This book was very good read and I really liked it, I recommend it to anyone who likes intense and suspensefu stories with lots of details. ( )
  HHS-Students | Mar 17, 2011 |
Definitely a psychological, dark book that explores revenge. It was riveting and I didn't want to put it down, althought I was disappointed in the ending. This is an intense book for grades 8 and up. ( )
  deforestRMS | Nov 15, 2010 |
Always and always and always for Jim Giles and Josh Jakubik, my heroes.
Ze is dood, hè?
Ik stapte in mijn wagen en reed plankgas naar huis. Ik graaide een stuk touw uit de achterbak. Dat ligt er altijd wel. Ik wilde haar niet begraven. Ik wilde haar aan diezelfde boom opgangen zodat de buren het allemaal zouden zien. Pa was er natuurlijk niet. Ik smeet de voordeur achter me dicht, liep de keuken in en pakte een van de grote messen uit het blok op het aanrecht. Ma krijste al. Ze riep of ik het was. Ma schreeuwde dat ze hoofdpijn had. Kon ik daar niet een beetje rekening mee houden?

"The setting is claustrophobic, the characters are complex and the story will keep readers on the edge of their seats," KLIATT raved of this vivid, fast-paced psychological thriller in a starred review. Kyle Kirby has planned a cruel and unusual revenge on Cass McBride, the most popular girl in school, for the death of his brother David. He digs a hole. Kidnaps Cass. Puts her in a box--underground. He buries her alive. But lying in the deepest dark, Cass finds a weapon: she uses the power of words to keep her nemesis talking--and herself breathing--during the most harrowing 48 hours of her life.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:14 -0400)

After his younger brother commits suicide, Kyle Kirby decides to exact revenge on the person he holds responsible.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,652,789 books! | Top bar: Always visible