Middlemarch (1872)

by George Eliot

14,431274282 (4.2)14 / 1695
Middlemarch: A Study of Provincial Life is exactly what it claims. Its multiple plots center around the inhabitants of a fictitious Midlands town and their evolving relationships to each other. It is critical of social class, ambition and marriage, and religion. It is commonly considered one of the masterpieces of English writing, and Virginia Woolf described it as "the magnificent book that, with all its imperfections, is one of the few English novels written for grown-up people".… (more)
    Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell (christiguc, HollyMS)
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (shallihavemydwarf)
    The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot (Booksloth)
    My Life in Middlemarch by Rebecca Mead (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: One reader's relationship with this novel; also some biography of Eliot and a literary criticism.
    North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell (PensiveCat)
    South Riding by Winifred Holtby (Booksloth)
    The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë (amanda4242)
    The Victorian House : domestic life from childbirth to deathbed by Judith Flanders (susanbooks)
    The Getting of Wisdom by Henry Handel Richardson (thesmellofbooks)
    thesmellofbooks: The Getting of Wisdom is the rare sort of book that provokes deep self-reflection and a nudge in the direction of peace-making with self and life, and in this way brings to mind [[George Eliot]]'s [Middlemarch]. I am gobsmacked. The novel begins as an entertaining tale of a headstrong young Australian girl going to meet the world at boarding school. It gradually evolves into a subtle, simple, and stunningly real observation of the pressures of conformity and the intolerance of naïveté, which, when paired with a strong desire to be accepted, can lead to many and often rending responses in an imaginative young person. Yet it is not a tragedy. I am left moved, affectionate, a little worried about the future, and yet joyful at the intactness of the protagonist's resilient soul. Bravo, Ms Richardson.… (more)
    Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These 19th-century classics portray complex romantic relationships with vivid descriptions and a strong sense of place. With intricate, twisting plots, both offer their protagonists bleak outlooks that end in satisfying resolutions.
    Deerbrook by Harriet Martineau (souloftherose)
    George Eliot. by Elsemarie Maletzke (JuliaMaria)
    Ulysses by James Joyce (kara.shamy)
    kara.shamy: Similar -- almost unique really -- in their tremendous breadth and depth...
My TBR (7)

English (264)  Spanish (4)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  Latvian (1)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (274)
I am on holiday (I refuse to use the term ‘annual leave’, and not because I am self-employed). I love in the summer to take the opportunity to dive into a thick brick of fiction that requires real commitment, and also once in a while to tick off the too-long list of really-should-have-read classics. This year it is Middlemarch (Penguin Classics) by George Eliot and Book One (of eight + ‘Finale’) is a great start. Everything you would expect but just better written than you can imagine. ( )
  davidroche | Oct 7, 2020 |
Maybe 3.5. It's beautifully written. It's just so long, and the characters are a bit obnoxious. ( )
  littlebookjockey | Sep 15, 2020 |
What a great book! ( )
  shaundeane | Sep 13, 2020 |
This was supposed to be a book off the 1001-list and a book for the 'big books' challenge.
But it turned out to be neither. I've tried both the audiobook and the paperback copy, but neither version resulted in getting me interested.
The first part was okay, although it was a bit strange to me. Marrying a man because you think he could share his knowledge with you. And when the newly wed couple went to live in Middlemarch, the story didn't get much more interesting. I caught myself with wandering thoughts while reading, thus missing out on parts of the storyline.
This is not a book I'll finish now. Maybe I'll get back to it later, but to be honest, I'm a bit fed up with women in love, marrying, having all sorts of petty trouble. Maybe one day, when.... (can't fill that in yet ;-))
  BoekenTrol71 | Sep 6, 2020 |
This went down much easier as an audiobook - although now that I know the story, I might try reading it for real again someday.

A note on the librivox recording: the reading was pretty uneven, some of it to the point of being distractingly bad.

Quotable: "But that intimacy of mutual embarrassment, in which each feels that the other is feeling something, having once existed, its effect is not to be done away with. Talk about the weather and other well-bred topics is apt to seem a hollow device, and behavior can hardly become easy unless it frankly recognizes a mutual fascination—which of course need not mean anything deep or serious." ( )
  beautifulshell | Aug 27, 2020 |

Mead, RebeccaForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevenson, JulietNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walz, MelanieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woolf, GabrielNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Who that cares much to know the history of man, and how the mysterious mixture behaves under the varying experiments of Time, has not dwelt, at least briefly, on the life of Saint Theresa, has not smiled with some gentleness at the thought of the little girl waling forth one morning hand-in-hand with her still smaller brother, to go and seek martyrdom in the country of the Moors? (Prelude)
Miss Brooke had that kind of beauty which seems to be thrown into relief by poor dress.
Sane people did what their neighbors did, so that if any lunatics were at large, one might know and avoid them.
What we call our despair is often only the painful eagerness of unfed hope.
Riding was an indulgence which she allowed herself in spite of conscientious qualms; she felt that she enjoyed it in a pagan sensuous way, and always looked forward to renouncing it.
Some discouragement, some faintness of the heart at the new real future which replaces the imaginary, is not unusual, and we do not expect people to be deeply moved by what is not unusual. That element of tragedy which lies in the very fact of frequency, has not yet wrought itself into the coarse emotions of mankind.

By the time the novel appeared to tremendous popular and critical acclaim in 1871-2, George Eliot was recognized as England's finest living novelist. It was her ambition to create a world and portray a whole community--tradespeople, middle classes, country gentry--in the rising provincial town of Middlemarch, circa 1830. Vast and crowded, rich in narrative irony and suspense, «Middlemarch» is richer still in character, in its sense of how individual destinies are shaped by and shape the community, and in the great art that enlarges the reader's sympathy and imagination. It is truly, as Virginia Woolf famously remarked, 'one of the few English novels written for grown-up people'.
dorothea cares

in a world not quite ready

to accept her views
Interwoven fates,
A tapestry of stories,
Each thread a life.
(hillaryrose7)

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439548, 0141199792, 0143123815

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400102162, 1400108632

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,670,879 books! | Top bar: Always visible