Middlemarch (Oxford World's Classics)…

Middlemarch (Oxford World's Classics) (original 1872; edition 1998)

by George Eliot, Felicia Bonaparte (Contributor), David Carroll (Editor)

11,410197239 (4.2)14 / 1440
Member:Mercury57
Title:Middlemarch (Oxford World's Classics)
Authors:George Eliot
Other authors:Felicia Bonaparte (Contributor), David Carroll (Editor)
Info:Oxford Paperbacks (1998), Edition: New edition, Paperback, 864 pages
Collections:Classics, Nineteenth century, Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****
Tags:British authors, Classics, England, Nineteenth century, Realism

Middlemarch by George Eliot (1872)

Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell (christiguc, Hollerama)
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (shallihavemydwarf)
    The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot (Booksloth)
    North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell (PensiveCat)
    My Life in Middlemarch by Rebecca Mead (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: One reader's relationship with this novel; also some biography of Eliot and a literary criticism.
    South Riding: An English Landscape by Winifred Holtby (Booksloth)
    Inside the Victorian Home: A Portrait of Domestic Life in Victorian England by Judith Flanders (susanbooks)
    The Getting of Wisdom by Henry Handel Richardson (thesmellofbooks)
    thesmellofbooks: The Getting of Wisdom is the rare sort of book that provokes deep self-reflection and a nudge in the direction of peace-making with self and life, and in this way brings to mind [[George Eliot]]'s [Middlemarch]. I am gobsmacked. The novel begins as an entertaining tale of a headstrong young Australian girl going to meet the world at boarding school. It gradually evolves into a subtle, simple, and stunningly real observation of the pressures of conformity and the intolerance of naïveté, which, when paired with a strong desire to be accepted, can lead to many and often rending responses in an imaginative young person. Yet it is not a tragedy. I am left moved, affectionate, a little worried about the future, and yet joyful at the intactness of the protagonist's resilient soul. Bravo, Ms Richardson.… (more)
    Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These 19th-century classics portray complex romantic relationships with vivid descriptions and a strong sense of place. With intricate, twisting plots, both offer their protagonists bleak outlooks that end in satisfying resolutions.
    George Eliot. by Elsemarie Maletzke (JuliaMaria)
    Ulysses by James Joyce (kara.shamy)
    kara.shamy: Similar -- almost unique really -- in their tremendous breadth and depth...

English (189)  Spanish (4)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All languages (197)
Awhile ago I ended up watching 'Til Human Voices Wake Us and there was this beautiful scene where the two main characters are teens out on a lake. The girl is reading a book of poetry and the boy asks about it. She fondly exclaims that it's words (or it's a book of words, bear with me and my lapse of detail retention). He looks off at the lake as if he doesn't care all that much so she holds the book up to his ear, flicks through the pages so they brush against his earlobe, and asks him if he can hear them.

If I could live to be half as well read and witty as Eliot, I'd consider myself truly happy. As it is, I'll settle for the time being with simply hearing her beautiful prose flick softly against my ear whilst being thoroughly inspired by her intellect and ability. There's so much depth and contradiction in her characters, so much humanity. I found it absolutely lovely and delicious.

I'm not quite sure what else there is to say about this book as of yet. I'm still sitting with it and adoring it. ( )
  lamotamant | Jun 23, 2016 |

Middlemarch - Eliot
audio performance by Juliet Stevenson
4 stars

Of course, it is a romance novel considering the number of pairings that occur throughout its nearly 1000 pages. Dorothea and Casaubon, Rosamond and Lydgate, Fred Vincy and Mary Garth, Dorothea and Ladislaw; the residents of Middlemarch are obsessed with reputations, engagements, marriages and betrayals. It’s a romance novel, but I didn’t think it was at all romantic. Although I enjoyed some of the characters more than others, I didn’t become very attached to any of them.

I did like the the author’s ironic commentary on her character’s behavior:

on Mr. Casauban, “He took a wife, as we have seen, to adorn the remaining quadrant of his course, and be the little moon that would cause hardly a calculable perturbation.”

on a woman’s role, “Women were expected to have weak opinions; but the great safeguard of society and of domestic life was, that opinions were not acted on. Sane people did what their neighbors did, so that if any lunatics were at large, one might know and avoid them.”

from Mrs. Vincy, “I’m fond of having you home with me, but I can part with my children for their good.” (I may needlepoint this one and put it in my guest bedrooms)

of Fred Vincy, “The difficult task of knowing another soul is not for young gentlemen whose consciousness is chiefly made up of their own wishes.

I understand why Middlemarch holds its place on so many lists of ranking novels. It’s a masterpiece. But, this is my second reading of an Eliot novel and I still prefer Dickens.

msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
Had trouble getting into but it was worth while ( )
  blgriffin | Apr 27, 2016 |
I have just read this wonderful book again after many years. I was reminded very much of the comment by one of my English Lit lecturers years ago: "you really want Dorothea and Lydgate to get together. But they never do --- no matter how many times you read it!"
  PollyMoore3 | Apr 25, 2016 |
It's true, what all those people said about this book. This is one of those books that alters your lens on life. I was not kind to this book, and did not give it its proper due because I took much too long to read it, being frequently distracted by more superficial discourses, which only diluted the richness of the style and depth of the prose.
But despite that, it waited for me patiently and did not fail to reward, and nor did I fail to marvel. ( )
  TheBookJunky | Apr 22, 2016 |

Eliot, Georgeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ashton, RosemaryEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Creswick, ThomasCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Faber, MichelIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harvey, W. J.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevenson, JulietNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woolf, GabrielNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Who that cares much to know the history of man, and how the mysterious mixture behaves under the varying experiments of Time, has not dwelt, at least briefly, on the life of Saint Theresa, has not smiled with some gentleness at the thought of the little girl waling forth one morning hand-in-hand with her still smaller brother, to go and seek martyrdom in the country of the Moors? (Prelude)
Miss Brooke had that kind of beauty which seems to be thrown into relief by poor dress.
The nineteenth century was an age of intense intellectual ferment. (Introduction)
What we call our despair is often only the painful eagerness of unfed hope.
Riding was an indulgence which she allowed herself in spite of conscientious qualms; she felt that she enjoyed it in a pagan sensuous way, and always looked forward to renouncing it.
Some discouragement, some faintness of the heart at the new real future which replaces the imaginary, is not unusual, and we do not expect people to be deeply moved by what is not unusual. That element of tragedy which lies in the very fact of frequency, has not yet wrought itself into the coarse emotions of mankind.

dorothea cares

in a world not quite ready

to accept her views

It was George Eliot’s ambition to create a world and portray a whole community—tradespeople, middle classes, country gentry—in the rising fictional provincial town of Middlemarch, circa 1830. Vast and crowded, rich in narrative irony and
suspense, Middlemarch is richer still in character and in its sense of how individual destinies are shaped by and shape the community.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:03 -0400)

Set in a provincial Victorian neighborhood, the author explores the complex social relationship and the struggle to hold fast to personal tragedy in a materialistic environment.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439548, 0141199792, 0143123815

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400102162, 1400108632

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,869,592 books! | Top bar: Always visible