Middlemarch by George Eliot

Middlemarch (original 1872; edition 2011)

by George Eliot, Juliet Stevenson (Narrator)

11,533201233 (4.19)14 / 1450
Member:mirrordrum
Title:Middlemarch
Authors:George Eliot
Other authors:Juliet Stevenson (Narrator)
Info:audible.com from Naxos AudioBooks
Tags:audiobook, audible.com, Juliet Stevenson, fiction, Great Britain, 19th century, social life and customs, women in 19th century, marriage

Middlemarch by George Eliot (1872)

Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell (christiguc, Hollerama)
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (shallihavemydwarf)
    The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot (Booksloth)
    North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell (PensiveCat)
    My Life in Middlemarch by Rebecca Mead (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: One reader's relationship with this novel; also some biography of Eliot and a literary criticism.
    South Riding: An English Landscape by Winifred Holtby (Booksloth)
    Inside the Victorian Home: A Portrait of Domestic Life in Victorian England by Judith Flanders (susanbooks)
    The Getting of Wisdom by Henry Handel Richardson (thesmellofbooks)
    thesmellofbooks: The Getting of Wisdom is the rare sort of book that provokes deep self-reflection and a nudge in the direction of peace-making with self and life, and in this way brings to mind [[George Eliot]]'s [Middlemarch]. I am gobsmacked. The novel begins as an entertaining tale of a headstrong young Australian girl going to meet the world at boarding school. It gradually evolves into a subtle, simple, and stunningly real observation of the pressures of conformity and the intolerance of naïveté, which, when paired with a strong desire to be accepted, can lead to many and often rending responses in an imaginative young person. Yet it is not a tragedy. I am left moved, affectionate, a little worried about the future, and yet joyful at the intactness of the protagonist's resilient soul. Bravo, Ms Richardson.… (more)
    Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These 19th-century classics portray complex romantic relationships with vivid descriptions and a strong sense of place. With intricate, twisting plots, both offer their protagonists bleak outlooks that end in satisfying resolutions.
    George Eliot. by Elsemarie Maletzke (JuliaMaria)
    Ulysses by James Joyce (kara.shamy)
    kara.shamy: Similar -- almost unique really -- in their tremendous breadth and depth...

English (193)  Spanish (4)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All languages (201)
I learned that intercourse, making love and ejaculation used to mean something different...
1 vote barefootcowgirl | Jul 29, 2016 |
This was a slog for me. Certainly it picked up after Casaubon's demise but not to an extent that kept it from feeling like a chore to finish the book. I can see that this is a great novel in many ways, but for sheer reading pleasure, it doesn't compare to the greatness AND readability of Villette or David Copperfield or Emma (just throwing a few superb, old, English novels out there.) There's something sterile about it, there's no mess, no slipping-in of the author's frame-of-mind. It is observant, yes, and deeply so, but clinically. ( )
1 vote libbromus | Jul 13, 2016 |
I just can't write a good review here. This is the best 19th century English novel I have read. Reminded me of Anna Karenina in the sense of how masterfully the author juggles many, many characters and how those characters are differentiated. A thoroughly delightful read. ( )
  librken | Jul 2, 2016 |
Middlemarch is very straightforward and readable for a 19th century classic. It shows the malleability of human nature as many of its characters are reshaped by social pressure and imperfect relationships. To me this quote sums up the essence of the book, ..."for there is no creature whose inward being is so strong that it is not greatly determined by what lies outside it". ( )
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |
Awhile ago I ended up watching 'Til Human Voices Wake Us and there was this beautiful scene where the two main characters are teens out on a lake. The girl is reading a book of poetry and the boy asks about it. She fondly exclaims that it's words (or it's a book of words, bear with me and my lapse of detail retention). He looks off at the lake as if he doesn't care all that much so she holds the book up to his ear, flicks through the pages so they brush against his earlobe, and asks him if he can hear them.

If I could live to be half as well read and witty as Eliot, I'd consider myself truly happy. As it is, I'll settle for the time being with simply hearing her beautiful prose flick softly against my ear whilst being thoroughly inspired by her intellect and ability. There's so much depth and contradiction in her characters, so much humanity. I found it absolutely lovely and delicious.

I'm not quite sure what else there is to say about this book as of yet. I'm still sitting with it and adoring it. ( )
  lamotamant | Jun 23, 2016 |

Eliot, Georgeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ashton, RosemaryEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Creswick, ThomasCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Faber, MichelIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harvey, W. J.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevenson, JulietNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woolf, GabrielNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Who that cares much to know the history of man, and how the mysterious mixture behaves under the varying experiments of Time, has not dwelt, at least briefly, on the life of Saint Theresa, has not smiled with some gentleness at the thought of the little girl waling forth one morning hand-in-hand with her still smaller brother, to go and seek martyrdom in the country of the Moors? (Prelude)
Miss Brooke had that kind of beauty which seems to be thrown into relief by poor dress.
The nineteenth century was an age of intense intellectual ferment. (Introduction)
Sane people did what their neighbors did, so that if any lunatics were at large, one might know and avoid them.
What we call our despair is often only the painful eagerness of unfed hope.
Riding was an indulgence which she allowed herself in spite of conscientious qualms; she felt that she enjoyed it in a pagan sensuous way, and always looked forward to renouncing it.
Some discouragement, some faintness of the heart at the new real future which replaces the imaginary, is not unusual, and we do not expect people to be deeply moved by what is not unusual. That element of tragedy which lies in the very fact of frequency, has not yet wrought itself into the coarse emotions of mankind.
Middlemarch was written by George Eliot (aka Mary Anne Evans or Marian Evans), not Charles Dickens.

dorothea cares

in a world not quite ready

to accept her views

It was George Eliot’s ambition to create a world and portray a whole community—tradespeople, middle classes, country gentry—in the rising fictional provincial town of Middlemarch, circa 1830. Vast and crowded, rich in narrative irony and
suspense, Middlemarch is richer still in character and in its sense of how individual destinies are shaped by and shape the community.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:03 -0400)

Set in a provincial Victorian neighborhood, the author explores the complex social relationship and the struggle to hold fast to personal tragedy in a materialistic environment.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439548, 0141199792, 0143123815

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400102162, 1400108632

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,386,030 books! | Top bar: Always visible