Monsignor Quixote by Graham Greene

Monsignor Quixote (1982)

by Graham Greene

English (11)  German (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (13)
Greene at his most sublime, his most readable (although really he's always readable) and his most approachably erudite. He takes this story: 'A priest and a Communist go on a road trip in Spain' and makes it into something approaching a pot boiler - you really can't wait to see what happens next. ( )
  soylentgreen23 | May 20, 2014 |
autumn-2013, spain, catholic, picaresque, amusing, fraudio, published-1982, philosophy, teh-demon-booze
Read from August 01 to September 04, 2013

rosado> walkies> Read by Cyril Cussack

The descendents of Quijano and Sancho go travelling. Wonderful soft adventure, gallons of wine, and the talk is of purple nylon socks, Marxism, Roman Catholicism and onanism. Many -isms, yes, but gentle philosophical fun.

Loved it but you wouldn't necessarily think it was from Greene's nib. Highly recommended if you are looking for a modern-day tilter.
1 like ( )
  mimal | Sep 4, 2013 |
A lovely book. I have tried several Graham Greene's over the years but this is the only one I really enjoyed. ( )
  Mouldywarp | Aug 7, 2013 |
A charming story about the nature of faith and doubt, and the divide between ideas and the institutions meant to enact them. Monsignor Quixote is a worthy successor to his ancestor. ( )
1 vote Unreachableshelf | Oct 10, 2012 |
I first read this novel several years ago, shortly after its first publication in paperback - indeed, I note from the flyleaf that I actually bought it on my twenty-first birthday. My recollection was that it was a humorous novel, charmingly reminiscent of Giovanni Guareschi's "Don Camillo" stories. I can only assume that I was very easily amused back then.
There are certainly amusing passages, but I now find these to be woefully outnumbered by tedious and contrived references to Cervantes's classic.
Greene could certainly write with great humour when the context required it (as is all too evident in "Travels With My Aunt", perhaps my favourite of all his novels).
The resemblance to the world of Don Camillo is certainly marked, and cannot have been inadvertent. In Greene's novel, as with Guareschi's stories, the dynamic of the novel revolves around a wise but lightly unworldly village priest and his protracted disagreements itch the local Communist mayor. However, I now rather suspect that I might find Guareschi's stories somewhat trite these days, too. ( )
  Eyejaybee | Sep 28, 2012 |
More than any work of Greene's that I have read, it is suffused with nostalgia for the pre-industrial, pre-bourgeois world, a world of face-to-face encounters between man and God, man and man, man and beast (Rocinante is, after all, more beast than car). Greene celebrates a world of simple appetites that can be directly satisfied when two contentious friends sit down to cheese, sausage, wine and talk. ''Monsignor Quixote'' mildly invites - rather than compels -the reader to share this humble feast.
added by John_Vaughan | editNY Times, Robert Towers (Jul 11, 1985)

An sich ist nichts weder gut noch böse,
das Denken macht es erst dazu
William Shakespeare
Für Padre Leopoldo Durán
Aurelio Verde
Octavio Victoria
und
Miguel Fernandez,
meine Gefährten auf den Strassen Spaniens,
und für Tom Burns,
der mich zum ersten Besuch des
Landes im Jahr 1946 bewog.
Es kam so: Padre Quijote hatte bei seiner Haushälterin das Mittagessen bestellt, das er immer allein einnahm, und machte sich nun auf, in einem Konsumladen, der acht Kilometer von Toboso entfernt an der Hauptstrasse nach Valencia lag, Wein einzukaufen.

With Sancho Panza, a deposed Communist mayor, his faithful Rocinate, an antiquated motorcar, Monsignor Quixote roams through modern-day Spain in a brilliant picaresque fable. Like Cervantes' classic, Monsignor Quixote offers enduring insights into our life and times.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:00 -0400)

Monsignor Quixote embarks on a modernday emulation of his ancestor's quest across Spain accompanied by his aging Fiat and the Communist mayor of his village.

Legacy Library: Graham Greene

Graham Greene has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Graham Greene's legacy profile.

See Graham Greene's author page.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,391,774 books! | Top bar: Always visible