Desires of the Dead (Body Finder) by…

Desires of the Dead (Body Finder)

by Kimberly Derting

Member:readr
Title:Desires of the Dead (Body Finder)
Authors:Kimberly Derting
Info:HarperCollins (no date), Hardcover, 368 pages
Rating:***
Tags:fantasy, mystery, superpowers, romance, teen

Desires of the Dead by Kimberly Derting

synopsis, review and (obviously) book have mega spoilers for the first book, The Body Finder, so just read that one if you haven't yet!!

Violet and her town are finally safe from the serial killer abducting and killing teenage girls--who even tried to kill Violet. But she's not safe from her 'gift,' her ability to sense and locate dead beings and match their killers to them.

On a day with one of her friends, a day just trying to be a normal teenage girl--as Jay is still the only one of her friends who knows what she can do--she comes across another echo, another body calling to her.

It's her discovery of this body that brings Violet under the notice of the FBI and threatens to make what she does not so secret anymore.

Violet has no idea who to go to with this new development--she would have gone to Jay, but now that they're dating things seem different and anyway, he's always spending time with his new best friend Mike.

With everything seemingly coming apart around her, Violet starts looking into Mike's more than tragic family past--and wondering how and when everything went so wrong. And how to fix it.

Desires of the Dead is interesting because it both expands the story from what The Body Finder focused on (moving out from just Jay, the girls and Violet, her family and the murders to more characters and more locales) but also becoming more focused. Desires of the Dead, logically looks more at Violet and her ability and what that would logically mean for someone in more of the long run. What it would mean if you found bodies, if someone found out, how someone would try to leverage that or you.

Because neither of those things loses anything or is weak so that the other can be strong, I think that Desires of the Dead might even be a stronger book than The Body Finder. The characters are still great. The new characters add a lot to the story; and there's depth to them that adds to the plot as well.

Violet and Jay aren't left in flux nor are they just coasting along so that everything else can be developed. Things aren't given conflict for conflicts sake, either.

The fact that Violet and her 'ability' were taken to another level really made this story realistic even when in one sense it's not.

10/10 for this . . . and when oh when can I find out about more either from Kimberly Derting and/or in this series!!!

won this from PitchDark books on Twitter!

(also I know there's something in my summary that's off from the first book but I didn't want people just glancing at it to see it and spoil themselves for the first book . . . even if I did have a warning!) ( )
  BookSpot | May 18, 2015 |
It was pretty predictable, but still not horrible. A decent continuation of the series. I'm interested to see where helping law enforcement leads. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |

The plot of this book was a little swallowed up by the romance but less so than the previous book. I had a hard time caring about her issues when yet again this generic perfect boyfriend is the most important issue when people are dead. It was an easy read though and even though it wasn't deep or anything it was interesting. ( )
  AngelaRenea | May 12, 2014 |
Sadly, I did not enjoy this book as much as the first. The mystery and suspense really weren’t there and the romance aspect got kind of annoying.

The constant air of suspense that was the first book wasn’t as good this time around. Last time we had chapters from the killer’s POV, this time we had chapters from a fellow student who is harassing Violet because they’re jealous of her relationship with Jay. It was obvious to me who this person was from the very beginning so the mystery was taken away.

One of the things I loved about Violet in the first book was that she didn’t keep secrets from Jay or her family. This time around all she did was keep secrets, and her reasons for keeping them were dumb. Like, I put everyone in danger by having this ability and if I don’t tell them what’s going on I’m saving them from trouble blah, blah, blah. I’m sick of the MC always hiding things “in the best interest” of others. Plus, she told her family and Jay everything in the first book so it seemed out of character, done just to create tension between her and Jay’s new romantic relationship.

A few new characters were introduced that I think will play a larger role in the next few books. Does anyone else smell a love triangle coming on?? *Cough* Rafe *cough* Violet & Jay finally admitted their more-than-friend feelings for each other and now it’s about to get ruined. UGH!

Overall, while I was dissapointed in the lack of mystery/suspense and the addition of a new possible love interest I still enjoyed the story overall. ( )
  BornBookish | Feb 20, 2014 |
I've been told the definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. So why did I pick the sequel to "The Body Finder" up from the library?

All of the things which annoyed me from the first book are still present: Violet still can't do anything without Jay (the topper for me was when she missed two days of school because they had a fight) and Jay is still completely understanding and awesome no matter what (even when his girlfriend is jealous he has a friend... who is male.)

Blech.

Seriously, the eye roll and gag suppression factor were in full effect for the entire book. I won't be touching the next one with a ten foot pole. ( )
  mkpiry | Sep 26, 2013 |
To Amanda, Connor, and Abby.Always.
Violet leaned forward on her hands and knees over the frozen landscape.

Violet can sense the echoes of those who've been murdered - and the matching imprint that clings to their killers. Only those closest to her know what she is capable of, but when she discovers the body of a young boy she also draws the attention of the FBI, threatening her entire way of life.
As Violet works to keep her morbid ability a secret, she unwittingly becomes the object of a dangerous obsession. Normally she'd turn to her best friend, Jay, except now that they are officially a couple, the rules of their relationship seem to have changed. And with Jay spending more and more time with his new friend Mike, Violet is left with too much time on her hands as she wonders where things went wrong. But when she fills the void by digging into Mike's tragic family history, she stumbles upon a dark truth that could put everyone in danger.

Sixteen-year-old Violet Ambrose's ability to find murder victims and their killers draws the attention of the FBI just as her relationship with Jay, her best-friend-turned-boyfriend, heats up.

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,025,801 books! | Top bar: Always visible