Desires of the Dead (Body Finder) by…

Desires of the Dead (Body Finder)

by Kimberly Derting

388None27,629 (3.86)None
Member:readr
Title:Desires of the Dead (Body Finder)
Authors:Kimberly Derting
Info:HarperCollins (no date), Hardcover, 368 pages
Rating:***
Tags:fantasy, mystery, superpowers, romance, teen

Desires of the Dead by Kimberly Derting

Sadly, I did not enjoy this book as much as the first. The mystery and suspense really weren’t there and the romance aspect got kind of annoying.

The constant air of suspense that was the first book wasn’t as good this time around. Last time we had chapters from the killer’s POV, this time we had chapters from a fellow student who is harassing Violet because they’re jealous of her relationship with Jay. It was obvious to me who this person was from the very beginning so the mystery was taken away.

One of the things I loved about Violet in the first book was that she didn’t keep secrets from Jay or her family. This time around all she did was keep secrets, and her reasons for keeping them were dumb. Like, I put everyone in danger by having this ability and if I don’t tell them what’s going on I’m saving them from trouble blah, blah, blah. I’m sick of the MC always hiding things “in the best interest” of others. Plus, she told her family and Jay everything in the first book so it seemed out of character, done just to create tension between her and Jay’s new romantic relationship.

A few new characters were introduced that I think will play a larger role in the next few books. Does anyone else smell a love triangle coming on?? *Cough* Rafe *cough* Violet & Jay finally admitted their more-than-friend feelings for each other and now it’s about to get ruined. UGH!

Overall, while I was dissapointed in the lack of mystery/suspense and the addition of a new possible love interest I still enjoyed the story overall. ( )
  BornBookish | Feb 20, 2014 |
I've been told the definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. So why did I pick the sequel to "The Body Finder" up from the library?

All of the things which annoyed me from the first book are still present: Violet still can't do anything without Jay (the topper for me was when she missed two days of school because they had a fight) and Jay is still completely understanding and awesome no matter what (even when his girlfriend is jealous he has a friend... who is male.)

Blech.

Seriously, the eye roll and gag suppression factor were in full effect for the entire book. I won't be touching the next one with a ten foot pole. ( )
  mkpiry | Sep 26, 2013 |
RATING: 2 stars.

I think it's one of those "it's not you, it's me" cases. Violet didn't seem to have that much personality for much of the book. And the mystery was kind of... weak. I don't know, I just didn't enjoy this one as much as I thought I would. I've read the first book a while ago and I remember I really liked the chemistry and the relationship between Violet and Jay, but in this second book... not so much. ( )
  slayra | Sep 21, 2013 |
I’m having a really hard time deciding what to say about Desires of the Dead. Honestly, I’m having a hard time even figuring out my feelings for it, let alone putting my thoughts into words. I read it fairly quickly, but I never really felt like it grabbed me. There were aspects that I liked and some that I didn’t so much.

I will say that one thing I really liked about Desires of the Dead, especially over the first book, was the Prologue. It was written very similarly to the Prologues in the Twilight books, in that it gave a preview of the climax of the book, but with no context and not a lot of information. Honestly, this is probably what kept me flipping through the pages more than anything else. There were some pretty interesting things going on in that Prologue!

However, from there, I felt like Desires of the Dead took a little bit of a downturn. Violet was really frustrating in this book. Because of her new romantic relationship with Jay and his resulting desire to keep her safe above all else, she starts feeling like she can’t talk to him like she used to, and she starts keeping things from him. Even when she starts receiving threats, she still doesn’t tell him. Um, what? It was just so far away from their characters in the first book that it kind of rubbed me the wrong way.

Another thing that bothered me was that the mystery perspective chapters were a little too obvious to me. I guessed from the very first one who the character speaking was, though it took me a bit to fully figure out the context of what was going on. I did eventually figure out a lot of it, which is always frustrating for me, but it wasn’t horrible.

Now that I’ve ranted, I will let you know that there were some things I liked about Desires of the Dead. For one thing, Violet’s friend Chelsea, who is usually outspoken and almost annoying sometimes, develops a crush, which she doesn’t seem prepared for. Seeing her navigate that crush was really funny. I also liked the new characters: Sara and Rafe. They brought a bit of mystery and intrigue.

Though I predicted a bit of it, I really liked the way the final conflict played out. I thought the ending was pretty good, but it didn’t leave me dying to read the next book, though I still will. I definitely don’t think that this series is bad and would recommend avoiding it, but it wouldn’t be at the top of my recommendation list either.

You can also read this and other reviews on my blog, Mommy's Reading Break ( )
  mrso822 | Sep 21, 2013 |
Feb 15, 2011. Can't wait!! ( )
  Ritastradling | Apr 15, 2013 |
To Amanda, Connor, and Abby.Always.
Violet leaned forward on her hands and knees over the frozen landscape.

Violet can sense the echoes of those who've been murdered - and the matching imprint that clings to their killers. Only those closest to her know what she is capable of, but when she discovers the body of a young boy she also draws the attention of the FBI, threatening her entire way of life.
As Violet works to keep her morbid ability a secret, she unwittingly becomes the object of a dangerous obsession. Normally she'd turn to her best friend, Jay, except now that they are officially a couple, the rules of their relationship seem to have changed. And with Jay spending more and more time with his new friend Mike, Violet is left with too much time on her hands as she wonders where things went wrong. But when she fills the void by digging into Mike's tragic family history, she stumbles upon a dark truth that could put everyone in danger.

Sixteen-year-old Violet Ambrose's ability to find murder victims and their killers draws the attention of the FBI just as her relationship with Jay, her best-friend-turned-boyfriend, heats up.

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,439,720 books! | Top bar: Always visible