Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World…

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking (edition 2012)

by Susan Cain

Member:BJasmine
Title:Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking
Authors:Susan Cain
Info:Crown (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 352 pages

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain

English (343)  Dutch (3)  German (3)  Italian (1)  All (1)  All (351)
Outstanding insights into the introspective personality. Very readable and not overly technical. ( )
  SandyAMcPherson | Jun 22, 2017 |
Simply Excellent.

There.

That's my review.

All my life I've wished there was an instruction guide for myself as well as others on how to deal with and understand me because I couldn't verbalize it myself. This book is it, truly. I listened to the last small portion of this while walking along a stretch of my neighborhood that borders an undeveloped area with tears rolling down my face. Everyone that passed probably thought I was crazy (or they never noticed, which is more likely and I'm okay with that too). I rehearsed what I would say just in case anyone asked me what was wrong. Luckily I didn't have to explain. I was crying because finally I felt understood. Wholly and complete understood. Not just by someone else but also by myself. So many of the ways in my life I've felt like a failure or weird are not that at all they are just part of who I am, just like 1/3 to 1/2 of the rest of the population.

I am not going to say this was a life changing book for me though I think it could could be for some. I've known for a long time that I was an introvert and that many aspects of my personality point to this. I wish I had had this book in my teen and young adult years, it might have changed the way I viewed myself and helped to instill self-esteem and confidence I didn't really have. I think everyone, whether parent, manager, friend, spouse, teacher or anyone would benefit from reading this. It could vastly help so many relationships of every type. I think this could be a healing and supportive work for introverts to help them understand themselves and to reassure them that they are okay. Not just okay but necessary and valuable just as they are. Introversion is not a sickness or condition that needs to be cured, it just needs to be understood and appreciated. Introverts and Extroverts need and enjoy each other, but have needs outside of each other as well.

I cannot do this book justice, it is just too powerful and well done for my abilities to relay. If you have an introvert in your life read it. If you ARE an introvert, read it. If you deal with a range of different people or have decision making powers over a group of people from children to adults, read it. At worst you will have spent some time on an interesting topic. At best, you may be able to bring forth energy, ideas and collaboration that you never could have imagined and gain a new understanding and appreciation of the people in your life that you just thought were quiet or anti-social.

Thank you Susan Cain. Thank you. ( )
1 vote shaunesay | Jun 21, 2017 |
A wonderfully written book that looks at the intricate lives of those of us who call ourselves introverts. Reading this has certainly helped open my eyes to some of my own behaviors and also made me realize that being an introvert is nothing to be ashamed of. To acknowledge one's personality traits and give yourself the space you need to recharge is essential. At the same time you don't have to become an extrovert just because modern life seems to demand it.

A great read and one that I highly recommend to both the introverts and extroverts out there. ( )
  MerkabaZA | Jun 12, 2017 |
A good book for people who are completely unfamiliar with the concepts of introversion and extroversion, or who are having difficulty coping with everyday situations. Personally, I found that it leaned a little too heavily on "anecdata" for my tastes. ( )
  Katya0133 | May 30, 2017 |
Excellent.. I first heard of this last year on NPR and put it on my "to read" list, just now making the time for it. Cain does a great job talking about introversion and extroversion, and how introverts (even partial introverts) can adapt and function. I saw a lot of myself and my adaptations in here. Excellent. ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |

Susan Cainprimary authorall editionscalculated
Duffy, LauraCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fedor, AaronCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mazur, KatheNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prosperi, CarloTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reitsma, Jan WillemTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wallin, BitteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A species in which everyone was General Patton would not succeed, any more than would a race in which everyone was Vincent van Gogh. I prefer to think that the planet needs athletes, philosophers, sex symbols, painters, scientists; it needs the warmhearted, the hardhearted, the coldhearted, and the weakhearted. It needs those who can devote their lives to studying how many droplets of water are secreted by the salivary glands of dogs under which circumstances, and it needs those who can capture the passing impression of cherry blossoms in a fourteen-syllable poem or devote twenty-five pages to the dissection of a small boy's feelings as he lies in bed in the dark waiting for his mother to kiss him good night. . . . Indeed the presence of outstanding strengths presupposes that energy needed in other areas has been channeled away from them.

- Allen Shawn
To my childhood family
Introduction
Montgomery, Alabama.
To ask whether it's nature or nurture ... is like asking whether a blizzard is caused by temperature or humidity.
"It's so easy to confuse schmoozing ability with talent. Someone seems like a good presenter, easy to get along with and those traits are rewarded. Well, why is that? They're valuable traits but we put too much of a premium on presenting and not enough on substance and critical thinking." (one venture capitalist)
We need leaders who build not their own egos but the institutions they run.
So if, deep down, you've been thinking that it's only natural for the bold and sociable to dominate the reserved and sensitive, and that the Extrovert Ideal is innate to humanity, Robert McCrae's personality map suggests a different truth: that each way of being—quiet and talkative, careful and audacious, inhibited and unrestrained—is characteristic of its own mighty civilization.

Introverts are strong
their brains are just wired different
this can be a strength
(sullijo)

At least one-third of the people we know are introverts. They are the ones who prefer listening to speaking, reading to partying; who invent and create but prefer not to pitch their own ideas; who favor working on their own over brainstorming in teams. Although they are often labeled "quiet," it is to introverts we owe many of the great contributions to society--from Van Gogh's sunflowers to the invention of the personal computer. Passionately argued, impressively researched, and filled with the indelible stories of real people, Quiet shows how dramatically we undervalue introverts, and how much we lose in doing so. Susan Cain charts the rise of "the extrovert ideal" over the twentieth century and explores its far-reaching effects--how it helps to determine everything from how parishioners worship to who excels at Harvard Business School. And she draws on cutting-edge research on the biology and psychology of temperament to reveal how introverts can modulate their personalities according to circumstance, how to empower an introverted child, and how companies can harness the natural talents of introverts. This extraordinary book has the power to permanently change how we see introverts and, equally important, how they see themselves.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Susan Cain's book Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0670916765, 0141029196

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,204,470 books! | Top bar: Always visible