Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World…

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking (edition 2012)

by Susan Cain

Member:BJasmine
Title:Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking
Authors:Susan Cain
Info:Crown (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 352 pages

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain

Recently added byTan_Nguyen, thukpa, JohnHLowery, Performance, ctink, private library, nanagee, ladilettante

An enlightening and thought-provoking read. As an introvert myself, I found myself relating to many of the author's anecdotes, gaining new insight into myself along the way. This book not only encouraged me to accept myself as I am, but also it helped to remind me I am not alone in my quieter world. I absolutely adored this novel, for it challenged me to reevaluate my perceptions of myself and others of both introverted and extroverted natures. ( )
  ashniclayton | Feb 6, 2016 |
This is an important book. I am glad Cain wrote it. I am sorry for her, though, that she had such poor editors--and to read her acknowledgement pages shows she had more than just several. I say this up front because of a "fact" that she introduced as an example early on, which simply is untrue. This colored my acceptance of the rest of the book. And, then, at the end (by which time I had mostly gotten over the original glaring error), she used an extremely awkward metaphor! I will list both of these at the end of this review.

Introversion and extraversion are misunderstood in general. No matter how many times I have taken a Myers-Briggs test, I come out as an ISFJ, much to my original surprise, and to those who know me. But as I learned more about introversion, the pieces to my particular personality puzzled clicked into place.

Cain explains many facets of why we tick the way we do, and how to encourage ourselves and others to fully explore our strengths and to minimize our weaknesses. To borrow the old army slogan, to "be all that we can be."

I recommend this book highly to parents, family members, co-workers, bosses...well, to everyone!

But, here is the glaring mistake which really needs to be addressed!

Pg 109 (kindle app):
"Low reactive, extroverted [sic] children, if raised by attentive families in safe environments, can grow up to be energetic achievers with big personalities--the Richard Bransons and Oprahs of this world. But give those same children negligent caregivers or a bad neighborhood, say some psychologists, and they can turn into bullies, juvenile delinquents, or criminals."

According to Wikipedia, Winfrey was born into poverty to a single, teenaged mother, was raped at nine, and at age 14 gave birth to a child who died in infancy.

This is not to say that Cain was making the case that ALL extraverted children who grow up disadvantaged will become jd's....but what a poor example to use to make her point.

The metaphor? Pg 264, kindle version:
"[introverts' can help you]...spot canaries in your coal mine." Really? Before or after they've keeled over dead?

Also, why deliberately misspell a word? It is extravert and introvert. ( )
1 vote kaulsu | Feb 3, 2016 |
Narrated by Kathe Mazur. Introverts, rejoice! This is the book that will affirm your true self and help you understand why you don't have to keep up with an extroverted society. Extroverts, learn how you can support your introverted friends, family and colleagues so that they can contribute as their best selves to society. There is a great chapter on how parents can support and encourage their introverted kids...also very useful for adults who work with kids. In the audio version, Mazur reads in a quiet, soothing tone just right for learning about and contemplating the topic. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
This book pretty much validates my existence, so it should surprise no one when I say it was a very worthwhile read. My introversion is a big part of who I am, but I never realized how deeply it affects my personality, hobbies, and interests. It could explain why I don't like violent movies, why I stuck to learning to play the piano when most of my friends gave up after a few years, and why I have chosen to pursue a career that aligns with my passions rather than pursue one where the big money is.

Introverts don't often speak up for themselves, so it was gratifying seeing an entire, well-researched book that defends the virtues of introverts. Yes, it gets a little preachy in some spots, but after a lifetime of watching the virtues of extroverts get all the praise and attention, I had no problem with Cain pushing out her own introvert-biased agenda. Some would argue that the book is a self-help book for introverts (they've got a valid point there), but I think anyone—introvert or extrovert—would benefit from reading this book. ( )
1 vote AngelClaw | Feb 2, 2016 |
Excellent book. The first half is very, very interesting. The last third starts to meander a bit as it covers parenting details. ( )
1 vote deldevries | Jan 31, 2016 |

Susan Cainprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Duffy, LauraCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fedor, AaronCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mazur, KatheNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prosperi, CarloTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reitsma, Jan WillemTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wallin, BitteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A species in which everyone was General Patton would not succeed, any more than would a race in which everyone was Vincent van Gogh. I prefer to think that the planet needs athletes, philosophers, sex symbols, painters, scientists; it needs the warmhearted, the hardhearted, the coldhearted, and the weakhearted. It needs those who can devote their lives to studying how many droplets of water are secreted by the salivary glands of dogs under which circumstances, and it needs those who can capture the passing impression of cherry blossoms in a fourteen-syllable poem or devote twenty-five pages to the dissection of a small boy's feelings as he lies in bed in the dark waiting for his mother to kiss him good night. . . . Indeed the presence of outstanding strengths presupposes that energy needed in other areas has been channeled away from them.

- Allen Shawn
To my childhood family
To ask whether it's nature or nurture ... is like asking whether a blizzard is caused by temperature or humidity.
Introverts are strong
their brains are just wired different
this can be a strength
(sullijo)

At least one-third of the people we know are introverts. They are the ones who prefer listening to speaking, reading to partying; who invent and create but prefer not to pitch their own ideas; who favor working on their own over brainstorming in teams. Although they are often labeled "quiet," it is to introverts we owe many of the great contributions to society--from Van Gogh's sunflowers to the invention of the personal computer. Passionately argued, impressively researched, and filled with the indelible stories of real people, Quiet shows how dramatically we undervalue introverts, and how much we lose in doing so. Susan Cain charts the rise of "the extrovert ideal" over the twentieth century and explores its far-reaching effects--how it helps to determine everything from how parishioners worship to who excels at Harvard Business School. And she draws on cutting-edge research on the biology and psychology of temperament to reveal how introverts can modulate their personalities according to circumstance, how to empower an introverted child, and how companies can harness the natural talents of introverts. This extraordinary book has the power to permanently change how we see introverts and, equally important, how they see themselves.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0670916765, 0141029196

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,039,963 books! | Top bar: Always visible