Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World…

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking (edition 2012)

by Susan Cain

كتاب جميل عن شخصية الهادئ: الذي يستمد طاقته داخليا​
بعكس الشخصية الانطلاقية: الذي يستمد طاقته من محيطه​
اذا اردت ان تعرف اكثر عن هذه الشخصية اقرأ هذا الكت​
اتمنى من اشخاص كثر في مجتمعنا ان يقرأوه ​
حتى يصلوا لفهم اعمق لهذه النوعية من الشخصيات بدل و​ ( )
  manolina | Sep 16, 2016 |
Good collection of information about introversion vs extroversion and what relates to and causes these traits. Informative and, at times, riveting.

I was very disappointed that the book spent so much time on non-science/non-research material. It has sections that would best be described as self-help/parenting advice. The writing is quite adequate, but not interesting/exciting/humorous/etc. It simply does what it needs to do. These qualities removed a star from my review. ( )
  valzi | Sep 7, 2016 |
Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain is a 2012 Crown publication.

I’ve seen Susan Cain’s ‘Ted Talks’, video and knew I would have to read her book, it was just a matter of fitting it into my schedule.

As an extreme introvert, this book definitely feels like a form of validation. See? There is nothing wrong with me. There are other people out there just like me, who avoid social situations at all cost, would rather take a good beating than speak publicly, who feel drained after social occasions, and who must have alone time.

There are people who, like myself, tried to fake an extrovert personality, but were miserable because it. In a world that is increasingly group oriented, that recognizes the loud, outspoken, forceful personality over the quiet, soft spoken, unassuming temperament, this book is a Godsend.

But, while the book explains the tendencies of the introvert and offers some theories on how people develop this type of temperament, and how to cope and compromise in order to fulfill your job duties and family obligations without suffering an overabundance of anxiety or develop depression or a dependence on medication, this book is also a must read for extroverts!

Yes, that’s right… extroverts should read this book too, so they can understand that colleague, sibling, or spouse, or child who is quiet, craves alone time, avoids social situations, and would rather not waste time on small talk.

How can employers create a workplace setting that brings out the best of both temperaments? Many people work better and are far more productive when working alone, and have much to contribute, but are often drowned out by the constant cacophony surrounding them.

While I agree with nearly everything the author writes, most of the scientific studies and analogies were only moderately interesting and highly debatable. I don’t know if I agreed with all those findings, and this particular section of the books was just a little bit dull.

Not everything mentioned here will pertain to every single person who identifies as an introvert. Taking the informal quiz, I answered nearly every question with ‘Yes’, but there were several traits that I do not own, so this is not a ‘one size fits all’ course, and doesn’t try to be, but I think the author covered a tremendous amount of relevant material any introvert can use and relate to.

I would not consider this book a ‘self-help’ book, but the author included a few tips and exercises one can use to ease social anxiety and learn to work in groups and speak publicly. There is also a section for parents who may worry about an introverted child, and how to encourage that child, not change them.

Overall, I am so happy to see the problems introverts face in an extroverted world, addressed and brought to the forefront.

4 stars ( )
  gpangel | Aug 31, 2016 |
5 stars this is a re-read book
Audiobook version review
Excellent narration, good pacing.
This is a book every introvert, extrovert, teacher, parent, brother, sister, boss, friend, everyone should read. It explains the differences between the two basic types of personalities and how to fit each in to better our lives.
Have you heard or said "Come out of your shell" " You're too sensitive" " You need to overcome your shyness" "You'll never make it if you don't stand out" ? I did and it stung.
How can I not love a book that makes me feel better about myself ? I have spent much of my life fighting to overcome my "shyness" or my uninterested feeling towards parties. In high school I was labeled a loner, even though I was on swim team, surfed, sailed, and skated around town all the time. I was active, outgoing adventurous but not socially needy. In college I just wanted to study the courses alone in the library the classroom was stifling to me, and study groups, oh no never. As an adult and parent, I've learned to play the extrovert but the stress is headache worthy.
I am the mother of two adult introverts and one extrovert. I worried when they didn't want to go to group events. I know, bad mom. I have tried to get them to be more like society expected. I placed them in social situations that were difficult because I was told they needed it. I wish I had read this book years earlier, I understand it now. Luckily they stayed true to themselves and I gave up fighting.

While reading this I was amazed at the awesomeness of introverts. We are so underrated and unappreciated by society. Ms. Cain goes into detail of the positive attributes and contributions introverts and extroverts bring to the table of life. She offers steps of adaptability without losing who someone is. The steps are so easy, so comfortable.
I bought this on audio I'm purchasing the printed version so I can highlight ( )
  TheYodamom | Aug 16, 2016 |
So I have two different sides.
The work side and the Home Side.
At work I am an extrovert always trying to rise ahead. I talk I carry on. But as for my personal side I am a true introvert. I really enjoyed this book and I enjoyed learning about the New Me I have definitely changed due to events that have happened in my life. I am probably the least creative person I know (I have the thoughts but I definitely cannot execute my ideas). I think that the book told me a lot about myself and I enjoyed this and thought that it was a particularly good read! ( )
  Angel.Carter | Aug 11, 2016 |

Susan Cainprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Duffy, LauraCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fedor, AaronCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mazur, KatheNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prosperi, CarloTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reitsma, Jan WillemTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wallin, BitteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A species in which everyone was General Patton would not succeed, any more than would a race in which everyone was Vincent van Gogh. I prefer to think that the planet needs athletes, philosophers, sex symbols, painters, scientists; it needs the warmhearted, the hardhearted, the coldhearted, and the weakhearted. It needs those who can devote their lives to studying how many droplets of water are secreted by the salivary glands of dogs under which circumstances, and it needs those who can capture the passing impression of cherry blossoms in a fourteen-syllable poem or devote twenty-five pages to the dissection of a small boy's feelings as he lies in bed in the dark waiting for his mother to kiss him good night. . . . Indeed the presence of outstanding strengths presupposes that energy needed in other areas has been channeled away from them.

- Allen Shawn
To my childhood family
Introduction
Montgomery, Alabama.
To ask whether it's nature or nurture ... is like asking whether a blizzard is caused by temperature or humidity.
"It's so easy to confuse schmoozing ability with talent. Someone seems like a good presenter, easy to get along with and those traits are rewarded. Well, why is that? They're valuable traits but we put too much of a premium on presenting and not enough on substance and critical thinking." (one venture capitalist)
We need leaders who build not their own egos but the institutions they run.
So if, deep down, you've been thinking that it's only natural for the bold and sociable to dominate the reserved and sensitive, and that the Extrovert Ideal is innate to humanity, Robert McCrae's personality map suggests a different truth: that each way of being—quiet and talkative, careful and audacious, inhibited and unrestrained—is characteristic of its own mighty civilization.

Introverts are strong
their brains are just wired different
this can be a strength
(sullijo)

At least one-third of the people we know are introverts. They are the ones who prefer listening to speaking, reading to partying; who invent and create but prefer not to pitch their own ideas; who favor working on their own over brainstorming in teams. Although they are often labeled "quiet," it is to introverts we owe many of the great contributions to society--from Van Gogh's sunflowers to the invention of the personal computer. Passionately argued, impressively researched, and filled with the indelible stories of real people, Quiet shows how dramatically we undervalue introverts, and how much we lose in doing so. Susan Cain charts the rise of "the extrovert ideal" over the twentieth century and explores its far-reaching effects--how it helps to determine everything from how parishioners worship to who excels at Harvard Business School. And she draws on cutting-edge research on the biology and psychology of temperament to reveal how introverts can modulate their personalities according to circumstance, how to empower an introverted child, and how companies can harness the natural talents of introverts. This extraordinary book has the power to permanently change how we see introverts and, equally important, how they see themselves.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0670916765, 0141029196

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,106,783 books! | Top bar: Always visible