Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World…

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking (edition 2012)

by Susan Cain

Member:BJasmine
Title:Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking
Authors:Susan Cain
Info:Crown (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 352 pages

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain

I didn't love this book as much as I'd hoped, but I still really liked much of it. As an introvert, there were many parts of this book I found insightful and comforting. Cain discusses the extrovert ideal, the idea that prevails in our culture that people should be talkative, high-energy, and constantly displaying themselves to the world. I wish I had read this section earlier in my life, but even more, I wish that a number of my grade school and high school teachers had read it. The book provided insights as to why I often find meetings, group activities, and crowds to be completely overwhelming, and more importantly helped me understand that this is not a character flaw.

One complaint I have about this book is that it didn't seem that well rounded. There were a number of scientific studies cited to support the power of introverts, but somehow they weren't all that convincing. I'm sure there are just as many studies that support opposing ideas. However, it is good to know that there are studies that promote the strenghts of introverts.

I liked one of the lines at the end of the book, "love is essential, gregariousness is not." A good thing to keep in mind when I find myself longing for more social energy. ( )
  klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
This defense of introversion has caught a lot of attention because so many people can relate to the experiences that Susan Cain describes in her book. She explains possible causes of introversion, including research by neuroscientists. She describes the strengths and contributions of introversion. The last part of the book provides very helpful guidance for parents of introverted children. The book is very readable and interesting. ( )
1 vote proflinton | Aug 4, 2015 |
This was a thought provoking book which challenges the cultural norm of extroversion being regarded as the best trait for good leadership. The author illustrates her arguments with examples of real people who show signs of introversion but have achieved great things. ( )
  alisonday69 | Aug 2, 2015 |
Well-researched and approaches the topic of introverts from many angles. I liked most of it a lot. As a classic introvert ("please, oh please may I just work intensely for hours/days on end from my living room in my pajamas?"), there were many points in this book that explained me to . . . well, to me.

The parts I liked less were those that gave lots of instruction about how to fix yourself if you are an introvert who has to operate in an extrovert environment and about raising introverted children. But the author is a "life coach" after all so I suppose it was necessary for her to give instruction.

One unanswered question: are there any shy extroverts out there in the world? ( )
  Phyllis.Mann | Jul 13, 2015 |
I liked the book. Reassuring. The concepts are repeated throughout the book. It gave me a better understanding of myself. Maybe I'll read it again some day when I again start feeling like I'm lacking in something for being quiet. :) ( )
  MugenHere | Jul 12, 2015 |

Susan Cainprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Duffy, LauraCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fedor, AaronCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mazur, KatheNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prosperi, CarloTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reitsma, Jan WillemTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wallin, BitteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A species in which everyone was General Patton would not succeed, any more than would a race in which everyone was Vincent van Gogh. I prefer to think that the planet needs athletes, philosophers, sex symbols, painters, scientists; it needs the warmhearted, the hardhearted, the coldhearted, and the weakhearted. It needs those who can devote their lives to studying how many droplets of water are secreted by the salivary glands of dogs under which circumstances, and it needs those who can capture the passing impression of cherry blossoms in a fourteen-syllable poem or devote twenty-five pages to the dissection of a small boy's feelings as he lies in bed in the dark waiting for his mother to kiss him good night. . . . Indeed the presence of outstanding strengths presupposes that energy needed in other areas has been channeled away from them.

- Allen Shawn
To my childhood family
Introduction
The North and South of Temperament
Montgomery, Alabama. December 1, 1955. Early evening. A public bus pulls to a stop and a sensibly dressed woman in her forties gets on. She carries herself erectly, despite having spent the day bent over an ironing board in a dingy basement tailor shop at the Montgomery Fair department store. Her feet are swollen, her shoulders ache. She sits in the first row of the Colored section and watches quietly as the bus fills with riders. Until the driver orders her to give her seat to a white person.
To ask whether it's nature or nurture ... is like asking whether a blizzard is caused by temperature or humidity.
At least one-third of the people we know are introverts. They are the ones who prefer listening to speaking, reading to partying; who invent and create but prefer not to pitch their own ideas; who favor working on their own over brainstorming in teams. Although they are often labeled “quiet,” it is to introverts we owe many of the great contributions to society—from Van Gogh’s sunflowers to the invention of the personal computer.

Passionately argued, impressively researched, and filled with the indelible stories of real people, Quiet shows how dramatically we undervalue introverts, and how much we lose in doing so. Susan Cain charts the rise of “the extrovert ideal” over the twentieth century and explores its far-reaching effects—how it helps to determine everything from how parishioners worship to who excels at Harvard Business School. And she draws on cutting-edge research on the biology and psychology of temperament to reveal how introverts can modulate their personalities according to circumstance, how to empower an introverted child, and how companies can harness the natural talents of introverts. This extraordinary book has the power to permanently change how we see introverts and, equally important, how they see themselves.
Introverts are strong
their brains are just wired different
this can be a strength
(sullijo)

At least one-third of the people we know are introverts. They are the ones who prefer listening to speaking, reading to partying; who invent and create but prefer not to pitch their own ideas; who favor working on their own over brainstorming in teams. Although they are often labeled "quiet," it is to introverts we owe many of the great contributions to society--from Van Gogh's sunflowers to the invention of the personal computer. Passionately argued, impressively researched, and filled with the indelible stories of real people, Quiet shows how dramatically we undervalue introverts, and how much we lose in doing so. Susan Cain charts the rise of "the extrovert ideal" over the twentieth century and explores its far-reaching effects--how it helps to determine everything from how parishioners worship to who excels at Harvard Business School. And she draws on cutting-edge research on the biology and psychology of temperament to reveal how introverts can modulate their personalities according to circumstance, how to empower an introverted child, and how companies can harness the natural talents of introverts. This extraordinary book has the power to permanently change how we see introverts and, equally important, how they see themselves.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0670916765, 0141029196

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,006,784 books! | Top bar: Always visible