Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World…

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking (edition 2012)

by Susan Cain

Collections:eBook, Read in 2013 - Steve
Rating:***1/2
Tags:essays, psychology

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain

Recently added bykkells, chiraq.bookstore, private library, bigpapageek, Rie_Kongsberg, AngieDixon

This is an ambitious work, and a mostly successful one, thanks to its readability and Cain's careful research. Her work has several goals: to try to explain the manifestations and possible causes of introverted behavior, based on insights from psychology and biology; to promote qualities like seriousness, introspection and sensitivity that may not conform to the "Extravert Ideal" but are nonetheless necessary in business, science, art and many other fields; and to provide tips for introverts (and parents of introverts) on how to stretch and expand their abilities to deal with situations that aren't naturally comfortable. I hadn't read much on this topic before, so I found most of the material useful and interesting. The one section I didn't find appealing was her chapter on Asian culture, which to me skirts dangerously close to stereotype. The chapter's title is "Soft Power," but it seems misleading, as the introverted practices for the Asian-American kids profiled mostly stem from their choosing to study, study, study instead of socialize, and from personal experience I know this is not the best way to prepare for a successful life after college. Aside from that chapter, I enjoyed the book very much and it is much fodder for thought. ( )
1 vote bostonian71 | Feb 6, 2015 |
I wish I had had this book ten year ago. ( )
  DaftKnits | Jan 24, 2015 |
I think the title is what sells this book to the reader more than the actual content. I thought it started strong and promised more than it actually delivered. It seemed equal parts self-help and graduate research article. Though I'd hoped to be more impressed by its insights, I do think this is an important book if only because it argues successfully that there is nothing inherently wrong with being either an extrovert or an introvert. Its lesson seemed to be that we need to be sensitive to the needs of both of these types whether they are our children, students, friends, co-workers, etc. I also appreciated her comments on committee work, open floor plans and brainstorming - possibly the most hated things in any office environment, especially by introverts. Hopefully this book will influence more people to listen to the "quiet" people. ( )
  sixslug | Jan 18, 2015 |
At least one third of the people we know are introverts, and that includes myself. In this book, the author explores the differences between introverts and extroverts. Both are equally beneficial traits in society, but introverts are often undervalued.

This book is well-researched, and written in a very readable and engaging style.This book would be very helpful to anyone who is an introvert, and to those who are extroverts but wish to gain more understanding of the the introverts in their lives, such as spouses, children, friends, or coworkers.

The author also mentions many famous people who were/are introverts, and how that personality trait helped them to go to do great things, people such as Warren Buffet, Marie Curie, Rosa Parks, Eleanor Roosevelt, and Abraham Lincoln.

I really enjoyed this book and found the subject to be fascinating; I saw so much of "me" in it. I've always been shy and introverted, but it was not until just a few years ago that I started accepting that it is was ok that I am that way, that there is nothing wrong with it, but I am very glad the author wrote this book, and it feels great to have my feelings about myself validated.

I'm not good at small talk, and I prefer non-verbal forms of communication much of the time (such as email), and I would much rather stay home and read a book on a weekend night than go to a party; all things that are perfectly NORMAL if you are an introvert, and I don't feel that I have to change to please anyone else. ( )
  mom2acat | Dec 31, 2014 |
This book has changed my life for ever and that too for good. I was always an introvert and thought that there was something really wrong with me for a long time. Why did I not want to party after a busy work schedule? Wasn't it anti-social? Why I valued deeper relationships than one night stands? After reading this book, I have become aware and conscious of the powers I have. Those powers that I was not even aware of: "The power of an introvert in a world that cannot stop talking".

Introverts have God given gifts such as: attentive listening, less risk taking, perseverance, conscientiousness, faithfulness, empathy, and creativity (there are many more).

If you are an introvert, read this book. You will learn a lot about yourself (things that you may not have even imagined) and this will change your life completely. I guarantee!

If you are an extrovert, you too will learn a lot about yourself and about your introvert friends.

Thank You, Susan, for writing such a wonderful book. Add me to your list of quiet revolutionaries. ( )
2 vote prasenjeet | Dec 8, 2014 |

Susan Cainprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Duffy, LauraCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fedor, AaronCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mazur, KatheNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prosperi, CarloTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reitsma, Jan WillemTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wallin, BitteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A species in which everyone was General Patton would not succeed, any more than would a race in which everyone was Vincent van Gogh. I prefer to think that the planet needs athletes, philosophers, sex symbols, painters, scientists; it needs the warmhearted, the hardhearted, the coldhearted, and the weakhearted. It needs those who can devote their lives to studying how many droplets of water are secreted by the salivary glands of dogs under which circumstances, and it needs those who can capture the passing impression of cherry blossoms in a fourteen-syllable poem or devote twenty-five pages to the dissection of a small boy's feelings as he lies in bed in the dark waiting for his mother to kiss him good night. . . . Indeed the presence of outstanding strengths presupposes that energy needed in other areas has been channeled away from them.

- Allen Shawn
To my childhood family
Introduction
The North and South of Temperament
Montgomery, Alabama. December 1, 1955. Early evening. A public bus pulls to a stop and a sensibly dressed woman in her forties gets on. She carries herself erectly, despite having spent the day bent over an ironing board in a dingy basement tailor shop at the Montgomery Fair department store. Her feet are swollen, her shoulders ache. She sits in the first row of the Colored section and watches quietly as the bus fills with riders. Until the driver orders her to give her seat to a white person.
To ask whether it's nature or nurture ... is like asking whether a blizzard is caused by temperature or humidity.
At least one-third of the people we know are introverts. They are the ones who prefer listening to speaking, reading to partying; who invent and create but prefer not to pitch their own ideas; who favor working on their own over brainstorming in teams. Although they are often labeled “quiet,” it is to introverts we owe many of the great contributions to society—from Van Gogh’s sunflowers to the invention of the personal computer.

Passionately argued, impressively researched, and filled with the indelible stories of real people, Quiet shows how dramatically we undervalue introverts, and how much we lose in doing so. Susan Cain charts the rise of “the extrovert ideal” over the twentieth century and explores its far-reaching effects—how it helps to determine everything from how parishioners worship to who excels at Harvard Business School. And she draws on cutting-edge research on the biology and psychology of temperament to reveal how introverts can modulate their personalities according to circumstance, how to empower an introverted child, and how companies can harness the natural talents of introverts. This extraordinary book has the power to permanently change how we see introverts and, equally important, how they see themselves.
Introverts are strong
their brains are just wired different
this can be a strength
(sullijo)

At least one-third of the people we know are introverts. They are the ones who prefer listening to speaking, reading to partying; who invent and create but prefer not to pitch their own ideas; who favor working on their own over brainstorming in teams. Although they are often labeled "quiet," it is to introverts we owe many of the great contributions to society--from Van Gogh's sunflowers to the invention of the personal computer. Passionately argued, impressively researched, and filled with the indelible stories of real people, Quiet shows how dramatically we undervalue introverts, and how much we lose in doing so. Susan Cain charts the rise of "the extrovert ideal" over the twentieth century and explores its far-reaching effects--how it helps to determine everything from how parishioners worship to who excels at Harvard Business School. And she draws on cutting-edge research on the biology and psychology of temperament to reveal how introverts can modulate their personalities according to circumstance, how to empower an introverted child, and how companies can harness the natural talents of introverts. This extraordinary book has the power to permanently change how we see introverts and, equally important, how they see themselves.… (more)

1528 wanted4 pay6 pay

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0670916765, 0141029196

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,690,354 books! | Top bar: Always visible