Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World…

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking (edition 2012)

by Susan Cain

Title:Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking
Authors:Susan Cain
Info:Crown (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 352 pages
Tags:Finished 2012, Psych, Self-help

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain

Quiet’s fascinating and liberating premise, that we have done a disservice to introverts and our society (moving from "a culture of character" to a "culture of personality"), makes me recommend this book to any introvert, parent of an introvert, or anyone interested in how we can better value individuals and their unique gifts. ( )
3 vote aschlag | Sep 29, 2015 |
Over the last few years I have been coming to grips with my introversion. Not in a "now I can survive the day" kind of way, but more of an awareness around why I get cranky as hell after being at a mall all day, or why sometimes when I get home I'd rather curl up with a book than talk with my wife. It's been one of those great settling events that happens after your grey hairs start coming in.

I first ran into [a:Susan Cain|4101935|Susan Cain|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1315319296p2/4101935.jpg]'s big quiet brain after watching her TED talk based on the book. I read the foreword in a local bookstore and then patiently waited until the 239 people in front of me on the library waiting list had read it and returned it. Then I abandoned that plan and bought the book.

I was not disappointed.

This is a thoroughly written and well footnoted book that takes a multi-faceted approach to the quiet half of the human race. Reading this book was, for me, like reading my own instruction manual. There were quite a few "Aha!" moments and my only wish was that I'd read it 20 years ago. Which never would have happened, because 10 year old me would be thoroughly uninterested in reading a book that is 25% sources an annotations to back up the scores of studies, interviews and points made in the book.

I gave this four stars because "I really liked it" but it wasn't amazing. For me, amazing is I-cannot-put-this-down-and-spend-every-waking-hour-reading and this was a more casual approach, which is to take nothing away from the content. The content is amazing, but there are very few books that can get through as much science as this book does while keeping things interesting.

So, in a sentence, if you're an introvert - you owe it to yourself to read this book. In one more sentence, if you're an extrovert, you owe it to introverts to read this book. ( )
1 vote liso | Sep 18, 2015 |
Good insights, research-based. Thoroughly enjoyed this book. ( )
1 vote PCGator | Sep 18, 2015 |
An inspiring read that is certainly thought-provoking. I found that rather a lot of the book was taken up with convincing the reader (a) that introverts are different and that (b) there is a problem if society doesn't recognise this. I didn't need convincing on this so was more interested in the second half of the book that tackles how we need to handle this both on an individual level and on a societal level. The book is definitely slanted for an American audience but is a good read and has some good ideas and is written both with passion and careful, detailed research. ( )
1 vote NeilDalley | Sep 14, 2015 |
This is a good combination of anecdote and research, though some of the author's conclusions seems a bit simplistic. And I think that spending an entire chapter on Asian American introversion, a stereotype which that community must really resent by now, made little sense.

I did really like the saga of husband Greg (extrovert) and wife Emily (introvert), who battled over his desire to have a weekly Friday night dinner party when all Emily wanted to do was to have some peaceful time to unwind from the oveweek. Can couples who are opposites can be successful? But surely two extroverts would fight for attention. Maybe two introverts would work the best. For those who have conflicted relationships and interactions due to assumptions made about both types, there are some valuable lessons to be gleaned here.

One of the overarching themes is that extroverts are frequently chosen and elected over introverts, due to their louder voices and outward confidence. Always choosing extroverts as leaders is not a wise strategy. Choosing leaders based upon slower, more deliberate reaction time and deeper reasoning skills shown by introverts would probably be an improvement. ( )
1 vote froxgirl | Sep 13, 2015 |

Susan Cainprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Duffy, LauraCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fedor, AaronCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mazur, KatheNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prosperi, CarloTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reitsma, Jan WillemTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wallin, BitteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A species in which everyone was General Patton would not succeed, any more than would a race in which everyone was Vincent van Gogh. I prefer to think that the planet needs athletes, philosophers, sex symbols, painters, scientists; it needs the warmhearted, the hardhearted, the coldhearted, and the weakhearted. It needs those who can devote their lives to studying how many droplets of water are secreted by the salivary glands of dogs under which circumstances, and it needs those who can capture the passing impression of cherry blossoms in a fourteen-syllable poem or devote twenty-five pages to the dissection of a small boy's feelings as he lies in bed in the dark waiting for his mother to kiss him good night. . . . Indeed the presence of outstanding strengths presupposes that energy needed in other areas has been channeled away from them.

- Allen Shawn
To my childhood family
To ask whether it's nature or nurture ... is like asking whether a blizzard is caused by temperature or humidity.
Introverts are strong
their brains are just wired different
this can be a strength

At least one-third of the people we know are introverts. They are the ones who prefer listening to speaking, reading to partying; who invent and create but prefer not to pitch their own ideas; who favor working on their own over brainstorming in teams. Although they are often labeled "quiet," it is to introverts we owe many of the great contributions to society--from Van Gogh's sunflowers to the invention of the personal computer. Passionately argued, impressively researched, and filled with the indelible stories of real people, Quiet shows how dramatically we undervalue introverts, and how much we lose in doing so. Susan Cain charts the rise of "the extrovert ideal" over the twentieth century and explores its far-reaching effects--how it helps to determine everything from how parishioners worship to who excels at Harvard Business School. And she draws on cutting-edge research on the biology and psychology of temperament to reveal how introverts can modulate their personalities according to circumstance, how to empower an introverted child, and how companies can harness the natural talents of introverts. This extraordinary book has the power to permanently change how we see introverts and, equally important, how they see themselves.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0670916765, 0141029196

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,791,015 books! | Top bar: Always visible