Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World…

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking (edition 2012)

by Susan Cain

Info:Crown (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 352 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Finished 2012, Psych, Self-help

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain

In this book, Cain gives an overview of introversion: history, cultural connotations, and hints for how to best deal with introverts in the workplace, the classroom, and in interpersonal relationships. It offers plenty of food for thought without being self-helpy; indeed, it felt a little like a pat on the back in spots (and perhaps because I am an introvert, I was not entirely comfortable with that!). It's well-organized and engaging; even listening to it as an audiobook I never found my mind wandering. If you have any interest in the topic of personality types, or if you are an introvert (or live, work with, or socialize with any introverts), I would recommend this book. ( )
  foggidawn | Apr 4, 2014 |
A must read for anybody involved in education or HR. ( )
  davevanl | Mar 15, 2014 |
The main message I got out of this was that it is perfectly OK to be introverted, in fact you can almost say you should be proud to be one (if you belong to that group). Susan gives advice on raising introverted children, communicating with the opposite type and in romantic relationships, tips for teachers, and tips for corporate culture and how to better accomodate introverts and thus increase productivity. Some useful stuff in here too about how to be more extroverted, and why people are extroverted at some times and not at others.

There is a stigma to the word introvert and the ideal of the extrovert can be seen everywhere. What Susan points out is that many you would believe are part of this ideal are actually "pretending," and are in fact not extroverts. I believe this is an important work to tear down the connotations of being introverted, which for some is seen almost as a disease or something to be overcome. For those who believe such a thing, they need to read this book and I bet their assumptions and outlook will change for the better! ( )
  lcalvin83 | Mar 6, 2014 |
This book was an explanation of all the problems (and triumphs!) of my life. I'm not going to lie, but I was kind of expecting more concrete advice on how to "harness the power of introversion" to be successful. Instead of that kind of self-help book feel, "Quiet" gives a wonderful cultural overview of introversion and why it seems to be in conflict with American social norms. You should definitely read this if you are introverted, or if you are not introverted but a loved one is. ( )
  LongSigh | Mar 4, 2014 |
So, Susan Cain's book puts introverts in exactly the place where they might squirm the most. That is, in the spotlight. Luckily, I found out by taking the quiz at the start of the book that I am neither intro nor extro, but rather what is called an 'ambivert'. Therefore, I could cherry pick my way through Cain's book ascribing the positive benefits of both introversion and extroversion to my own case. No wonder I gave the book five stars!

More seriously, among the many ideas and explanations of personality and character traits in this book, there were two propositions that I found most interesting. First, that in recent years the cult of personality has taken over from the appreciation of character. This, I believe to be true, and a notable change for the worse during the course of my own lifetime. Second, that there is a distinct difference between socializing (which many extroverts like to do) and relating (which introverts favor). Perhaps this is the reason you can so often leave parties feeling vaguely dissatisfied - there was too much socializing and too little relating.

I think Cain's book does an excellent job of helping you look at life from a different viewpoint. What's more, the examples she uses to document her extrovert/introvert propositions are well-chosen and lively, if not downright funny.

A good read, I would say, for extroverts, introverts and ambiverts alike
1 vote Miribooks | Feb 25, 2014 |

Susan Cainprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mazur, KatheNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reitsma, Jan WillemTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wallin, BitteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A species in which everyone was General Patton would not succeed, any more than would a race in which everyone was Vincent van Gogh. I prefer to think that the planet needs athletes, philosophers, sex symbols, painters, scientists; it needs the warmhearted, the hardhearted, the coldhearted, and the weakhearted. It needs those who can devote their lives to studying how many droplets of water are secreted by the salivary glands of dogs under which circumstances, and it needs those who can capture the passing impression of cherry blossoms in a fourteen-syllable poem or devote twenty-five pages to the dissection of a small boy's feelings as he lies in bed in the dark waiting for his mother to kiss him good night. . . . Indeed the presence of outstanding strengths presupposes that energy needed in other areas has been channeled away from them.

- Allen Shawn
To my childhood family
Montgomery, Alabama. (Introduction)
To ask whether it's nature or nurture ... is like asking whether a blizzard is caused by temperature or humidity.
At least one-third of the people we know are introverts. They are the ones who prefer listening to speaking, reading to partying; who invent and create but prefer not to pitch their own ideas; who favor working on their own over brainstorming in teams. Although they are often labeled “quiet,” it is to introverts we owe many of the great contributions to society—from Van Gogh’s sunflowers to the invention of the personal computer.

Passionately argued, impressively researched, and filled with the indelible stories of real people, Quiet shows how dramatically we undervalue introverts, and how much we lose in doing so. Susan Cain charts the rise of “the extrovert ideal” over the twentieth century and explores its far-reaching effects—how it helps to determine everything from how parishioners worship to who excels at Harvard Business School. And she draws on cutting-edge research on the biology and psychology of temperament to reveal how introverts can modulate their personalities according to circumstance, how to empower an introverted child, and how companies can harness the natural talents of introverts. This extraordinary book has the power to permanently change how we see introverts and, equally important, how they see themselves.
Introverts are strong
their brains are just wired different
this can be a strength
(sullijo)

Demonstrates how introverted people are misunderstood and undervalued in modern culture, charting the rise of extrovert ideology while sharing anecdotal examples of how to use introvert talents to adapt to various situations.

1528 wanted3 pay4 pay

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0670916765, 0141029196

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,474,349 books! | Top bar: Always visible