Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World…

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking (edition 2012)

by Susan Cain

Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****
Tags:Gold

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain

Man, I wish my mother had read this was I was little. I'm normal! I"m not alone! Yay! ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
dec 2013
  MatkaBoska | Jun 15, 2016 |
I did feel at times that Cain associates quietness with introversion too much, in the sense that lots of introverts are very loud and talkative people (when talking about something relevant to them, that is, she did get it right that 'small talk' is not our forte), this is something I find rather confuses people, who, even knowing I hardly ever socialize, have a hard time believing I am really an introvert because I'm not shy. Ironically enough, I'm pretty sure the reason I get asked to please lower my voice pretty frequently is that I get so lost in what I'm excited about, I forget, not because I'm loud all the time. Anyway, I rather think the amount of quotes I've pulled speak for my high opinion of this book.

http://readingz.livejournal.com/339608.html ( )
  askajnaiman | Jun 14, 2016 |
I typically loathe books that aren't fantasy, but this book really sparked my interest. I am a quiet person who doesn't like to interact with others much, and it always was a wonder to me why I couldn't be like other people who hung out with their friends every weekend. I came across this book and learned about introversion. It felt as if I were reading a book about myself which is always interesting. The author felt like a part of the book rather than just a name on the cover to be revered. I learned a lot about myself, the world and science. I found it particularly interesting that western nations live in what is called the "extrovert ideal" which essentially means in nations that are part of western society, extroversion is held in higher esteem and it is frowned upon to be an introvert. This explained all the group projects I have done in school and why all the louder kids were better liked despite not always being the smartest or kindest. The author promoted introversion throughout the book, arguing that it is normal and fine to be introverted and even gave examples of things that introverts can do better than extraverts. This book helped me realize that I wasn't person that I should be ashamed of, but a person that has particular strengths that are just as valuable as the strengths of extroverts.
1 vote DrPedro | Jun 8, 2016 |
Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking - Susan Cain

4 stars

As a self-proclaimed introvert, Susan Cain makes a thorough job of defining and defending this personality characteristic. The writing is clear, and easy to follow. She provides vivid descriptions of the individuals that she interviewed. There’s plenty of anecdotal humor and wry commentary to balance the dry facts of developmental studies and brain research. It is clear that Ms Cain has a personal mission to remove the pervasive stigma associated with introversion. She makes a very good case.

This book is written for a popular market and it is perfectly suited to that audience. I would say that it is very much focused on the college educated business professional, but there are some sections that would be useful to parents and educators. I have a developmental psych degree, so I would have been happy with something slightly more academic. I spent a great deal of time flipping to the back of the book to check references and to find out when the quoted studies were done.

As I expected, I found the information in this book to be personally validating. It also made me think of my father and my father-in-law with great sympathy. Cain does a great job of describing the business environment of the 60’s. I remember my father-in-law talking about singing the IBM anthem and I watched my father smoke pack after pack of cigarettes before a business presentation. My dad would have appreciated this comment:

“In other words, hundred of thousands of years of evolution urge us to get the hell off the stage, where we can mistake the gaze of the spectators for the glint in a predator's eye. Yet the audience expects not only that we'll stay put, but that we'll act relaxed and assured. .....It's also why exhortations to imagine the audience in the nude don't help nervous speakers; naked lions are just as dangerous as elegantly dressed ones.”

Personally, when I have to speak in front of a group of adults, I don’t imagine them as naked. I just think of them as all being five years old. I could wish that someone might have shared the following comment with my parents, but at the very least I can keep it in mind as a teacher.

“If your child prefers to work autonomously and socialize one-on-one, there's nothing wrong with her; she just happens not to fit the prevailing model. The purpose of school should be to prepare kids for the rest of their lives but too often what kids need to be prepared for is surviving the school day itself.”
  msjudy | May 30, 2016 |

Susan Cainprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Duffy, LauraCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fedor, AaronCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mazur, KatheNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prosperi, CarloTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reitsma, Jan WillemTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wallin, BitteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A species in which everyone was General Patton would not succeed, any more than would a race in which everyone was Vincent van Gogh. I prefer to think that the planet needs athletes, philosophers, sex symbols, painters, scientists; it needs the warmhearted, the hardhearted, the coldhearted, and the weakhearted. It needs those who can devote their lives to studying how many droplets of water are secreted by the salivary glands of dogs under which circumstances, and it needs those who can capture the passing impression of cherry blossoms in a fourteen-syllable poem or devote twenty-five pages to the dissection of a small boy's feelings as he lies in bed in the dark waiting for his mother to kiss him good night. . . . Indeed the presence of outstanding strengths presupposes that energy needed in other areas has been channeled away from them.

- Allen Shawn
To my childhood family
Montgomery, Alabama. - Introduction
To ask whether it's nature or nurture ... is like asking whether a blizzard is caused by temperature or humidity.
"It's so easy to confuse schmoozing ability with talent. Someone seems like a good presenter, easy to get along with and those traits are rewarded. Well, why is that? They're valuable traits but we put too much of a premium on presenting and not enough on substance and critical thinking." (one venture capitalist)
We need leaders who build not their own egos but the institutions they run.
So if, deep down, you've been thinking that it's only natural for the bold and sociable to dominate the reserved and sensitive, and that the Extrovert Ideal is innate to humanity, Robert McCrae's personality map suggests a different truth: that each way of being--quiet and talkative, careful and audacious, inhibited and unrestrained--is characteristic of its own mighty civilization.
Introverts are strong
their brains are just wired different
this can be a strength
(sullijo)

At least one-third of the people we know are introverts. They are the ones who prefer listening to speaking, reading to partying; who invent and create but prefer not to pitch their own ideas; who favor working on their own over brainstorming in teams. Although they are often labeled "quiet," it is to introverts we owe many of the great contributions to society--from Van Gogh's sunflowers to the invention of the personal computer. Passionately argued, impressively researched, and filled with the indelible stories of real people, Quiet shows how dramatically we undervalue introverts, and how much we lose in doing so. Susan Cain charts the rise of "the extrovert ideal" over the twentieth century and explores its far-reaching effects--how it helps to determine everything from how parishioners worship to who excels at Harvard Business School. And she draws on cutting-edge research on the biology and psychology of temperament to reveal how introverts can modulate their personalities according to circumstance, how to empower an introverted child, and how companies can harness the natural talents of introverts. This extraordinary book has the power to permanently change how we see introverts and, equally important, how they see themselves.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0670916765, 0141029196

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,765,307 books! | Top bar: Always visible