Quiet : the power of introverts in a world…

Quiet : the power of introverts in a world that can't stop talking (edition 2012)

by Susan Cain

Member:infopump
Title:Quiet : the power of introverts in a world that can't stop talking
Authors:Susan Cain
Info:New York : Crown Publishers, c2012.
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:WPPL, ebooks, Kindle

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain

Recently added bycainmark, HiddenParagon, Likuo, private library, AynSof, plaeski, p.moore, drmehollis, JaneFJohnson

This book has changed my life for ever and that too for good. I was always an introvert and thought that there was something really wrong with me for a long time. Why did I not want to party after a busy work schedule? Wasn't it anti-social? Why I valued deeper relationships than one night stands? After reading this book, I have become aware and conscious of the powers I have. Those powers that I was not even aware of: "The power of an introvert in a world that cannot stop talking".

Introverts have God given gifts such as: attentive listening, less risk taking, perseverance, conscientiousness, faithfulness, empathy, and creativity (there are many more).

If you are an introvert, read this book. You will learn a lot about yourself (things that you may not have even imagined) and this will change your life completely. I guarantee!

If you are an extrovert, you too will learn a lot about yourself and about your introvert friends.

Thank You, Susan, for writing such a wonderful book. Add me to your list of quiet revolutionaries. ( )
2 vote prasenjeet | Dec 8, 2014 |
I really, really tried to read the book from start to an end, reading all lengthy non-important descriptions of people, events etc. I failed, honestly. I read about a half and after that things really get boring. New information for me - 10%, author's stream of consciousness - 80%, something to glue it together - 10%. Not recommended.
Yours, BookGeek.ruhref> ( )
  otikhonova | Dec 8, 2014 |
This is very good book for all of us to read and rethink the labels that we put on other people, on ourselves and our family members and the way we as a society often value verbal ability over reflective thinking. It is a book that will help true introverts who may have been uncomfortable with their quietness, feel better about some of the issues or questions that may have plagued them during their lives.

As our book club discussed the relevance to schools, social organizations and successes of individuals such as Rosa Parks and Gandhi we were all taken with how many quiet single individuals over time have change so many important things. I am going to listen to this book on audio next as some of the discussion participants felt it enhanced their ability to enjoy the flow of the book. I rate the book a 4. ( )
  WeeziesBooks | Dec 6, 2014 |
This book is a very well-researched collection of works on the two personality types - Introversion and Extroversion, though it covers a lot of ground on the introverted side of the population. The book does not say 'extroverts are all bad', but it does point out the many 'goods' of being introverted.

Ms Cain also helps bust some of the myths of being extroverted like talkers are smarter than quiet ones and quick talkers are more capable and appealing. She shows scientific articles and expert opinion throughout the book regarding these.

The point of introverts not being anti-social, but just being differently social was definitely thought-provoking. The discussion about temperament being the foundation and personality being the building was intriguing as well. The book points many positive qualities of introverts and how they use those to make their mark in the world. "Solitude can be a catalyst to innovation."

The author confirms that no one is fully 'intro-' or 'extro-'. I'm myself inclined towards being an extrovert, but I love my early morning times when I'm alone and I read. My morning walk is my 'lone-time' as well.

The 10th chapter talks about how to speak and listen when your spouse / significant other is of the opposite trait. There are some good guidance especially when your partner is an introvert. Giving them more quality (and alone) time is the key to maintaining a successful relationship with an introverted personality.

All-in-all, I really enjoyed reading this book and knowing more about the 'quiet ones' and apparently there's a lot happening in the mind of an introvert, though the lips are mostly sealed. ( )
1 vote nmarun | Dec 5, 2014 |
An uplifting book for people who sees themselves as not fitting living on the fringes, introverts. Turns out they end up being successful adults. This book expands on why that is. ( )
  charlie68 | Dec 2, 2014 |

Susan Cainprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Duffy, LauraCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fedor, AaronCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mazur, KatheNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prosperi, CarloTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reitsma, Jan WillemTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wallin, BitteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A species in which everyone was General Patton would not succeed, any more than would a race in which everyone was Vincent van Gogh. I prefer to think that the planet needs athletes, philosophers, sex symbols, painters, scientists; it needs the warmhearted, the hardhearted, the coldhearted, and the weakhearted. It needs those who can devote their lives to studying how many droplets of water are secreted by the salivary glands of dogs under which circumstances, and it needs those who can capture the passing impression of cherry blossoms in a fourteen-syllable poem or devote twenty-five pages to the dissection of a small boy's feelings as he lies in bed in the dark waiting for his mother to kiss him good night. . . . Indeed the presence of outstanding strengths presupposes that energy needed in other areas has been channeled away from them.

- Allen Shawn
To my childhood family
Introduction
The North and South of Temperament
Montgomery, Alabama. December 1, 1955. Early evening. A public bus pulls to a stop and a sensibly dressed woman in her forties gets on. She carries herself erectly, despite having spent the day bent over an ironing board in a dingy basement tailor shop at the Montgomery Fair department store. Her feet are swollen, her shoulders ache. She sits in the first row of the Colored section and watches quietly as the bus fills with riders. Until the driver orders her to give her seat to a white person.
To ask whether it's nature or nurture ... is like asking whether a blizzard is caused by temperature or humidity.
At least one-third of the people we know are introverts. They are the ones who prefer listening to speaking, reading to partying; who invent and create but prefer not to pitch their own ideas; who favor working on their own over brainstorming in teams. Although they are often labeled “quiet,” it is to introverts we owe many of the great contributions to society—from Van Gogh’s sunflowers to the invention of the personal computer.

Passionately argued, impressively researched, and filled with the indelible stories of real people, Quiet shows how dramatically we undervalue introverts, and how much we lose in doing so. Susan Cain charts the rise of “the extrovert ideal” over the twentieth century and explores its far-reaching effects—how it helps to determine everything from how parishioners worship to who excels at Harvard Business School. And she draws on cutting-edge research on the biology and psychology of temperament to reveal how introverts can modulate their personalities according to circumstance, how to empower an introverted child, and how companies can harness the natural talents of introverts. This extraordinary book has the power to permanently change how we see introverts and, equally important, how they see themselves.
Introverts are strong
their brains are just wired different
this can be a strength
(sullijo)

At least one-third of the people we know are introverts. They are the ones who prefer listening to speaking, reading to partying; who invent and create but prefer not to pitch their own ideas; who favor working on their own over brainstorming in teams. Although they are often labeled "quiet," it is to introverts we owe many of the great contributions to society--from Van Gogh's sunflowers to the invention of the personal computer. Passionately argued, impressively researched, and filled with the indelible stories of real people, Quiet shows how dramatically we undervalue introverts, and how much we lose in doing so. Susan Cain charts the rise of "the extrovert ideal" over the twentieth century and explores its far-reaching effects--how it helps to determine everything from how parishioners worship to who excels at Harvard Business School. And she draws on cutting-edge research on the biology and psychology of temperament to reveal how introverts can modulate their personalities according to circumstance, how to empower an introverted child, and how companies can harness the natural talents of introverts. This extraordinary book has the power to permanently change how we see introverts and, equally important, how they see themselves.… (more)

1528 wanted4 pay6 pay

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0670916765, 0141029196

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,351,666 books! | Top bar: Always visible