Quiet : the power of introverts in a world…

Quiet : the power of introverts in a world that can't stop talking (edition 2012)

by Susan Cain

Member:MaggieFlo
Title:Quiet : the power of introverts in a world that can't stop talking
Authors:Susan Cain
Info:New York : Crown Publishers, c2012.
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Introverts, extroverts, psychology, society, social media

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain

In a world that seems to value the outgoing personality, constant sharing, brainstorming, and the open concept at work and school, this book is a wonderful antidote. It praises the value that comes from an individual, alone, thinking and creating. It describes and advises about ways an introvert copes with being out there in the world. Sometimes I felt there were a few too many arcane psychological studies, perhaps stretching a good idea out past it's natural perimeters. But a good read it is, affirming the natural instincts of the 30% of the people who would self-identify as introverts. ( )
  gbelik | Jul 12, 2014 |
It took a long time to read this since I didn't finish it the first time I got it from the library and the list for it is just insane. The book is great for introverts letting you know that you are not bad even if our society is set up to love extroverts. The book is full of anecdotes about the writer and other people that she has had contact with dealing with different things while being introverted. There are several studies quoted as well and overall it is a good book for positive affirmation that is ok to be an introvert. ( )
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |
I was looking forward to reading this book for months. I listened to podcast review it and tell me how awesome it was. I watched the author's Ted Talk and thought it was brilliant. I would look for author interviews and reviews on the book--all good. But when I started to read the actual book I realized, it just wasnt that good. Maybe it was the hype I built for it. Maybe it was that I'd heard a lot of what she talked about before I read the book and didn't find it any better presented in the book.

But I consistently felt reading the book that it consisted of generalizations which she said were supported by research, but never makes the effort to help the reader figure out which source she gets her information from. There are pages and pages of references in the back--but I want end notes next to each sentence that makes some broad claim that I can actually investigate. She says repeatedly, "this is what an introvert is" but I didn't feel like she was talking about me.

I'm deeply disappointed in this book.... ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

I'm deeply disappointed in this book.... ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
I mostly enjoyed the concept of this book more than the execution. It was not quite what I was expecting.

What I thought was going to be a sort of guide, filled with advice and alternate perceptions for the introvert designed to help him navigate more successfully in "a world that can't stop talking", was in fact mostly a collection of case study anecdotes. Granted, some of the studies were interesting in their own right, and I did identify with some of the personal subjects of any given chapter, but taking as a whole "Quiet" turns a little dry to me. Valuable, but dry.

Only in the last chapter, which focuses exclusively on children, do we get what I was expecting from the whole book. But as I have no children, the advise for how to raise little introverts, though of some interest, really did little to make the book more personally useful to me.

I applaud the writing of this book, and the research that went into doing same. But I think it is better for those of a scientific mind, or those who literally have been introverted their entire life, without realizing that there are many in-built reasons why they are so.

I have always known of the biological aspect of being introverted, however, and after a while, grew ever so slightly impatient with reading about my cerebral cortex. ( )
  TyUnglebower | Jun 28, 2014 |

Susan Cainprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Duffy, LauraCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fedor, AaronCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mazur, KatheNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reitsma, Jan WillemTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wallin, BitteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A species in which everyone was General Patton would not succeed, any more than would a race in which everyone was Vincent van Gogh. I prefer to think that the planet needs athletes, philosophers, sex symbols, painters, scientists; it needs the warmhearted, the hardhearted, the coldhearted, and the weakhearted. It needs those who can devote their lives to studying how many droplets of water are secreted by the salivary glands of dogs under which circumstances, and it needs those who can capture the passing impression of cherry blossoms in a fourteen-syllable poem or devote twenty-five pages to the dissection of a small boy's feelings as he lies in bed in the dark waiting for his mother to kiss him good night. . . . Indeed the presence of outstanding strengths presupposes that energy needed in other areas has been channeled away from them.

- Allen Shawn
To my childhood family
Montgomery, Alabama. (Introduction)
To ask whether it's nature or nurture ... is like asking whether a blizzard is caused by temperature or humidity.
At least one-third of the people we know are introverts. They are the ones who prefer listening to speaking, reading to partying; who invent and create but prefer not to pitch their own ideas; who favor working on their own over brainstorming in teams. Although they are often labeled “quiet,” it is to introverts we owe many of the great contributions to society—from Van Gogh’s sunflowers to the invention of the personal computer.

Passionately argued, impressively researched, and filled with the indelible stories of real people, Quiet shows how dramatically we undervalue introverts, and how much we lose in doing so. Susan Cain charts the rise of “the extrovert ideal” over the twentieth century and explores its far-reaching effects—how it helps to determine everything from how parishioners worship to who excels at Harvard Business School. And she draws on cutting-edge research on the biology and psychology of temperament to reveal how introverts can modulate their personalities according to circumstance, how to empower an introverted child, and how companies can harness the natural talents of introverts. This extraordinary book has the power to permanently change how we see introverts and, equally important, how they see themselves.
Introverts are strong
their brains are just wired different
this can be a strength
(sullijo)

At least one-third of the people we know are introverts. They are the ones who prefer listening to speaking, reading to partying; who invent and create but prefer not to pitch their own ideas; who favor working on their own over brainstorming in teams. Although they are often labeled "quiet," it is to introverts we owe many of the great contributions to society--from Van Gogh's sunflowers to the invention of the personal computer. Passionately argued, impressively researched, and filled with the indelible stories of real people, Quiet shows how dramatically we undervalue introverts, and how much we lose in doing so. Susan Cain charts the rise of "the extrovert ideal" over the twentieth century and explores its far-reaching effects--how it helps to determine everything from how parishioners worship to who excels at Harvard Business School. And she draws on cutting-edge research on the biology and psychology of temperament to reveal how introverts can modulate their personalities according to circumstance, how to empower an introverted child, and how companies can harness the natural talents of introverts. This extraordinary book has the power to permanently change how we see introverts and, equally important, how they see themselves.… (more)

1528 wanted3 pay6 pay

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0670916765, 0141029196

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,538,375 books! | Top bar: Always visible