Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World…

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking (edition 2013)

by Susan Cain

Title:Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking
Authors:Susan Cain
Info:Broadway (2013), Edition: 1, Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Chicago, Owned
Tags:psychology, sociology, introvert, introversion, personality

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain

Meh, I just found this book sort of boring. I identified with some of it, but I wish it was a 5 page article instead of a full length book. ( )
  beckyface | Nov 22, 2015 |
Quiet is Cain's celebration of introversion. She discusses how America is a world of extroverts and that introverts are encouraged to be extroverts against their personalities. This is a society that does not appreciate introverts. Through interviews and personal experience, she provides scientific and anecdotal evidence that introverts can provide just as much (or more) to society as extroverts.

I really wanted to like Quiet. Everybody seems to. And at the beginning I did. I found the subject fascinating, but I felt that Cain's anecdotal research was a little too anecdotal, and was annoyed by her tendency to generalize small populations as "Asians."

Overall, it was good writing, with an interesting subject, but it had some flaws. ( )
1 vote The_Hibernator | Nov 21, 2015 |
68. Quiet : The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking (Audio) by Susan Cain, read by Kathe Mazur
2012, 10:39 (352 pages in hardcover)
listened Sep 2-14, Nov 1-2
Rating: 2.5 stars

The low rating is meant to express how annoyed I was. Disappointed really.

Cain has a nice point for all of us introverts in the world. She makes an argument that we are overlooked, and under-appreciated because we are so quiet. The business world is basically ready to run over introverts and actively looks for and promotes the most extroverted extroverts (think Enron). The classroom, at least in the United States, encourages extroversion and discourages any signs of introversion. The world is against us. And yet, we play valuable roles throughout all levels of society and it is aspects of our introverted character that allows us to do that. This is an introvert's manifesto.

The problem is that Cain is so smug about this and she really oversimplifies.

She tells us story early on about a quiet lawyer who is finally placed in a lead role, and she excels. She was smart and she was better prepared and calmer and more thoughtful than the other people in the room. This introverted hero turns out to be autobiographic - Cain is Ms. Perfect.

As the book carries on, the reader slowly realizes that Cain thinks all introverts are basically like her, and that all extroverts are basically shallow yapping idiots. She never comes out says it, and she always makes qualifying statements about extroverts, but also she never corrects the impression either. It’s there under the text as the background argument. It’s not only unfair to non-introverts, but actually very unfair to introverts too. We are not all so quietly perfect as she likes to think we are. As the book carried on, this bothered more and more.

For me that overshadowed all the many very interesting parts to the book. Cain did a lot of research and presents a lot of interesting information. She talks a lot about introverted children (although I don’t have any. My are insanely extroverted. And, another bitter note, she spends a lot of time on the problem of extroverted parents with introverted children, but not a single sentence on the problem of introverted parents with extroverted children.)

One of the most interesting factoids I pulled out of this book was the comparison of introverted and extroverted managers. Overly extroverted managers excel at motivating employees, but they get in the way of their better people and actually hold them back. Introverted managers struggle with unmotivated employees, but generally help their better people excel more. I’m not sure I agree with her analysis. She doesn’t bring up the possibility that introverts may simply stay out of the way more and let people be. But still, it’s interesting…and I can relate.

There is a place for an introverts manifesto, but it doesn't require such an unbalanced take. There is a wide and interesting and useful psychology around introversion. I would have liked a more carefully balanced view. ( )
1 vote dchaikin | Nov 7, 2015 |

Susan Cainprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Duffy, LauraCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fedor, AaronCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mazur, KatheNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prosperi, CarloTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reitsma, Jan WillemTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wallin, BitteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A species in which everyone was General Patton would not succeed, any more than would a race in which everyone was Vincent van Gogh. I prefer to think that the planet needs athletes, philosophers, sex symbols, painters, scientists; it needs the warmhearted, the hardhearted, the coldhearted, and the weakhearted. It needs those who can devote their lives to studying how many droplets of water are secreted by the salivary glands of dogs under which circumstances, and it needs those who can capture the passing impression of cherry blossoms in a fourteen-syllable poem or devote twenty-five pages to the dissection of a small boy's feelings as he lies in bed in the dark waiting for his mother to kiss him good night. . . . Indeed the presence of outstanding strengths presupposes that energy needed in other areas has been channeled away from them.

- Allen Shawn
To my childhood family
To ask whether it's nature or nurture ... is like asking whether a blizzard is caused by temperature or humidity.
Introverts are strong
their brains are just wired different
this can be a strength

At least one-third of the people we know are introverts. They are the ones who prefer listening to speaking, reading to partying; who invent and create but prefer not to pitch their own ideas; who favor working on their own over brainstorming in teams. Although they are often labeled "quiet," it is to introverts we owe many of the great contributions to society--from Van Gogh's sunflowers to the invention of the personal computer. Passionately argued, impressively researched, and filled with the indelible stories of real people, Quiet shows how dramatically we undervalue introverts, and how much we lose in doing so. Susan Cain charts the rise of "the extrovert ideal" over the twentieth century and explores its far-reaching effects--how it helps to determine everything from how parishioners worship to who excels at Harvard Business School. And she draws on cutting-edge research on the biology and psychology of temperament to reveal how introverts can modulate their personalities according to circumstance, how to empower an introverted child, and how companies can harness the natural talents of introverts. This extraordinary book has the power to permanently change how we see introverts and, equally important, how they see themselves.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0670916765, 0141029196

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,866,682 books! | Top bar: Always visible