Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World…

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking (edition 2013)

by Susan Cain

Member:gregvogl
Title:Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking
Authors:Susan Cain
Info:Broadway Books (2013), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 368 pages
Tags:self-help, psychology

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain

Please just leave me alone. ( )
1 vote hhornblower | Nov 5, 2018 |
Most of the tips are intended for students. Some are common sense.

A one-sided argument on why introvert is good. A lot of survivorship bias. Just because an introvert make it does not means all introverts can make it. Also, many people choose to be quiet because they have already made it in life. If Bill Gates didn't make millions, who knows? He might become more extroverted.

The book also tries too hard to be politically correct. 'You can be quiet but speak up. Speak up but you don't have to force yourself. Make small improvement each day.' If you don't like such statements, best is to give the book a miss. ( )
  Jason.Ong.Wicky | Oct 9, 2018 |
apparently this is the year of books that everyone likes but me. I found this book to be too anecdotal and self congratulatory. Part II seemed to get a little better, but I was already lost. I don't think I developed any additional understanding of myself, introverts or extroverts. ( )
  CassandraT | Sep 23, 2018 |
This was masterfully written and truly powerful to read. It doesn't bash those who aren't introverts but explains clearly how people work differently and the strengths within that. ( )
  mmaestiho | Sep 20, 2018 |
Pretty much preaching to the choir. Years of reading internet articles and comics has helped me understand my own introversion and explain it to others. This book continued my self-education by sharing scientific studies of introversion and extroversion and elaborating in a readable, enjoyable way. Yay introverts!
  aratiel | Sep 5, 2018 |

Susan Cainprimary authorall editionscalculated
Duffy, LauraCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fedor, AaronCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mazur, KatheNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prosperi, CarloTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reitsma, Jan WillemTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wallin, BitteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A species in which everyone was General Patton would not succeed, any more than would a race in which everyone was Vincent van Gogh. I prefer to think that the planet needs athletes, philosophers, sex symbols, painters, scientists; it needs the warmhearted, the hardhearted, the coldhearted, and the weakhearted. It needs those who can devote their lives to studying how many droplets of water are secreted by the salivary glands of dogs under which circumstances, and it needs those who can capture the passing impression of cherry blossoms in a fourteen-syllable poem or devote twenty-five pages to the dissection of a small boy's feelings as he lies in bed in the dark waiting for his mother to kiss him good night. . . . Indeed the presence of outstanding strengths presupposes that energy needed in other areas has been channeled away from them.

- Allen Shawn
To my childhood family
Introduction
Montgomery, Alabama.
To ask whether it's nature or nurture ... is like asking whether a blizzard is caused by temperature or humidity.
"It's so easy to confuse schmoozing ability with talent. Someone seems like a good presenter, easy to get along with and those traits are rewarded. Well, why is that? They're valuable traits but we put too much of a premium on presenting and not enough on substance and critical thinking." (one venture capitalist)
We need leaders who build not their own egos but the institutions they run.
So if, deep down, you've been thinking that it's only natural for the bold and sociable to dominate the reserved and sensitive, and that the Extrovert Ideal is innate to humanity, Robert McCrae's personality map suggests a different truth: that each way of being—quiet and talkative, careful and audacious, inhibited and unrestrained—is characteristic of its own mighty civilization.

Introverts are strong
their brains are just wired different
this can be a strength
(sullijo)

Demonstrates how introverted people are misunderstood and undervalued in modern culture, charting the rise of extrovert ideology while sharing anecdotal examples of how to use introvert talents to adapt to various situations.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Susan Cain's book Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0670916765, 0141029196

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,186,656 books! | Top bar: Always visible